Signed by Cowboys Cowboys trade for DT Johnathan Hankins

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not sure why some are dogging this trade. They gave up a 6th for him and he costs them little against the CAP. The front office finally saw something we have seen for years - they needed a run stuffing pocket pushing DT - and they got one, or at least tried to. What we do not know is who else they may have pursued but couldn't pry loose from the other team. I think this guy is worth a try.

To be honest, I see all the Cowboys DTs as the same. None stand out. They are interchangeable pieces. The Cowboys think so too which is why the sat Gallimore for Watkins.

All Hankins has to do is take on his blocker and stand him up a few times a game. If he can do that, guys like Barr and LVE should be able to make a few tackles in the hole. Let's give him a chance to show us what he can or can't do. But even if he stinks they can still cut him and be no worse off than they are now.

And Parsons is going to have a much easier time getting after the QB as Hankins can prevent QBs from stepping up or running up the middle. Now, if they want to run, they'll be running into the paws of a Lion or into DLaw.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Parsons is going to have a much easier time getting after the QB as Hankins can prevent QBs from stepping up or running up the middle. Now, if they want to run, they'll be running into the paws of a Lion or into DLaw.

Bingo. And this is also going to make LVE a better player. That dude is horrible shedding OL blocks. If we can keep those guys off him, he will be a more effective run defender.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love when we make moves that make us the Super Bowl favorite and people get pissed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No way to tell at this point if it was a good trade or not. For example, Tampa Bay probably thought their getting Alvin Harper was going to pay great dividends, but he didn't help them all that much. Depends a lot on the supporting cast, if Hankins has a skill set that the current Dallas DTs don't, it'll be a good thing. If he's only marginally better than what Dallas has, then it's just roster churning.

I'll give him every chance, as I would anybody, but we'll have to wait and see...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Well, what are the plusses and minuses? On the plus side, he's no spring chicken at age 30, but is experienced. He's got great size, 340 lbs. Fills a need, which is size in the middle (though absent pass rushing ability, I'm not as invested in the necessity of size in the middle as some here but see below). Only cost Dallas a 6th round pick, which Dallas could probably pick up with a compensatory pick, if not even a higher pick.
He's played at both DT and DE, has some versatility. Most importantly, he had 7 sacks his second year with the Giants, as well as 3 sacks a couple of years after that, so he does have a bit of pass rushing ability, apparently. Durable, only missed 6 games over his last 5 full years.

On the negative side, he's never made the Pro Bowl, not even as an alternate, so we're not getting a top player. 30 years old, so he's probably not going to be a long-term piece of the puzzle, though it's always possible he could be. 30 is an age where players do drop off quite often, so he may not be the player he was even a couple of years ago.

All in all, I'd say he should be at the least a good player, maybe even very good. For the draft capital we gave up, I'd have to rate this pick up as about 7 ouy of 10. How he plays will tell if that's about right....

Reactions: BAT

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He might be a better run defender than anyone we have now.

We're about to see exactly what he has left in the tank for us.

He's no spring chicken at age 30 but there's very little to lose.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He might be a better run defender than anyone we have now.

We're about to see exactly what he has left in the tank for us.

He's no spring chicken at age 30 but there's very little to lose.
Not bad for 6 . 7 Round pick. It’s about rotation I believe. I’m just thrilled with the Williams and clark might be back This is a nasty defense

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He has 1 whole tackle this season lol

True, but if he's asked to do nothing but take up space in the middle, then he's not going to get the tackles. And how many plays was he in? He only started 1 game. I see he signed a 1 year deal for only $1.35 mil, so it looks like the Raiders were planning to move on from him after this year, would be a smart move on their part to not play him much and pretty much tell the league he'd be available...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
True, but if he's asked to do nothing but take up space in the middle, then he's not going to get the tackles. And how many plays was he in? He only started 1 game. I see he signed a 1 year deal for only $1.35 mil, so it looks like the Raiders were planning to move on from him after this year, would be a smart move on their part to not play him much and pretty much tell the league he'd be available...

Sometimes a player doing his job does not relate to stats, Hankins job is to handle the middle of the offense, force the RB to bounce it outside and take the middle lanes away.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sometimes a player doing his job does not relate to stats, Hankins job is to handle the middle of the offense, force the RB to bounce it outside and take the middle lanes away.
Imagine Parsons doesn’t have to move left and right. With the Williams. Even though we love moving him around. I can’t remember this much talent on defense

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Imagine Parsons doesn’t have to move left and right. With the Williams. Even though we love moving him around. I can’t remember this much talent on defense

Excellent talent but what makes defense special is 11 guys taking care of their responsibility, not getting out of position trying to make plays, you over pursue leave your area and you end up leaving holes that teams can exploit creating big plays by the offense. Only issue this defense has been in run defense. Hope to see Hankins step up and take care of those middle lanes

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Excellent talent but what makes defense special is 11 guys taking care of their responsibility, not getting out of position trying to make plays, you over pursue leave your area and you end up leaving holes that teams can exploit creating big plays by the offense. Only issue this defense has been in run defense. Hope to see Hankins step up and take care of those middle lanes
That was the Garrett defense always over pursuing. We would have the team inside their own 15 yard line rush so quickly that we screwed ourselves. Patience absolutely

Carson

Reaction score
He has 1 whole tackle this season lol
Watch his film.

His job isn’t to make tackles. His job is the be a fire hydrant and cause two lineman to block him. This frees up LVE, Barr, Micah.

It’s what guys like Ted Washington and Pat Williams made a career out of.