Signed by Cowboys Cowboys trade for DT Johnathan Hankins

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not bad for 6 . 7 Round pick. It’s about rotation I believe. I’m just thrilled with the Williams and clark might be back This is a nasty defense

Hankins should be able to handle rotational work at age 30. He should perform that duty well.

I'll venture to say that opposing OLs will undoubtedly have their hands full trying to move him.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That was the Garrett defense always over pursuing. We would have the team inside their own 15 yard line rush so quickly that we screwed ourselves. Patience absolutely

We still at time will over pursue which has lead to some runs. It is one area that still needs to be cleaned up and again hope the addition of Hankins will give Dallas the needed beet up front to take away the middle running lanes.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Well, what are the plusses and minuses? On the plus side, he's no spring chicken at age 30, but is experienced. He's got great size, 340 lbs. Fills a need, which is size in the middle (though absent pass rushing ability, I'm not as invested in the necessity of size in the middle as some here but see below). Only cost Dallas a 6th round pick, which Dallas could probably pick up with a compensatory pick, if not even a higher pick.
He's played at both DT and DE, has some versatility. Most importantly, he had 7 sacks his second year with the Giants, as well as 3 sacks a couple of years after that, so he does have a bit of pass rushing ability, apparently. Durable, only missed 6 games over his last 5 full years.

On the negative side, he's never made the Pro Bowl, not even as an alternate, so we're not getting a top player. 30 years old, so he's probably not going to be a long-term piece of the puzzle, though it's always possible he could be. 30 is an age where players do drop off quite often, so he may not be the player he was even a couple of years ago.

All in all, I'd say he should be at the least a good player, maybe even very good. For the draft capital we gave up, I'd have to rate this pick up as about 7 ouy of 10. How he plays will tell if that's about right....
Pro Bowls are more about highlight plays not dirty work. There is more appreciation for QB pressures than dude that ttackles the RB for minimal gain or leads to a RB being tackled minimal gain by someone else.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No pun intended this trade is huge. A fat, greasy piece of beef is just what this D line needed in the middle. Good job FO! Our D just keeps getting better. I can't wait to see how this addition plus the addition of Damone Clark improves this D. I believe they will take us very far... maybe all the way to the football promised land at the Super Bowl.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well, what are the plusses and minuses? On the plus side, he's no spring chicken at age 30, but is experienced. He's got great size, 340 lbs. Fills a need, which is size in the middle (though absent pass rushing ability, I'm not as invested in the necessity of size in the middle as some here but see below). Only cost Dallas a 6th round pick, which Dallas could probably pick up with a compensatory pick, if not even a higher pick.
Most importantly, he had 7 sacks his second year with the Giants, as well as 3 sacks a couple of years after that, so he does have a bit of pass rushing ability.

Nope, he's there as a two down DT, to help stuff the run.....after that the most important element is that he's able to get off the field before the Offense no-huddle before 3rd down.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nope, he's there as a two down DT, to help stuff the run.....after that the most important element is that he's able to get off the field before the Offense no-huddle before 3rd down.

Yes, his role is as the run stuffer, but why get somebody who can only do that? Having some pass rushing ability is an added bonus which for a player his size isn't that common. If you can have run stuffing AND pass rushing is better...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes, his role is as the run stuffer, but why get somebody who can only do that? Having some pass rushing ability is an added bonus which for a player his size isn't that common. If you can have run stuffing AND pass rushing is better...
Because: we have a decent enough 3-tech Corp, like to rotate our DT's, the cost of an all round DT (even if one were available) would cost a high round pick and we don't have a great deal of CAP room (Inc 2023).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Because: we have a decent enough 3-tech Corp, like to rotate our DT's, the cost of an all round DT (even if one were available) would cost a high round pick and we don't have a great deal of CAP room (Inc 2023).

That's not the issue, this post is about Hankins, not about some hypothetical DT.

Since you missed my point, let me re-phrase:

Getting Hankins for run stopping is great, but an ADDED BONUS is that he's demonstrated some pass rushing ability.

If you can't grasp that concept, I can't help you...