News: Cowboys' trade for Michael Bennett already looks like the steal of the NFL season

Number1

Reaction score

for the year I think maybe, but rather than Quinn and Bennett I would rather Taco and Randy

the lack of player dev is a huge concern ... that's 2 huge draft picks ... shot

johneric8

Reaction score
I think many of you are off base when it comes to Bennett and his worth. Can you guess which side I'm calling out? Look, Bennett could prove to be the missing piece on our defense and I'll tell you why. We already have two guys on either side who can typically beat their man, but we've lacked this on the inside and this is where Bennett looks to keep offensive lines off balance. The mere presence of a guy that smart and talented and being disruptive is exactly the nectar this defense needs to actually be able to travel to a new level. I honestly feel like there is a great chance that he is our Charles Hayley in the sense of what his presence may mean.

Do any of you guys remember what a healthy David Irving could do on our defense? The whole thing ran better when he was causing issues. Lets also not forget that Bennett brings a much much needed nastiness to our team defense and that to me is worth it's weight in gold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude is strong.

He’s a good player...he was productive on a per snap basis even prior to the trade. It’s not like we traded for some JAG that had one good game...Bennett is a 3X pro bowler playing in the system that he’s best at.

Excellent points. And given the struggles of the Vikings interior line recently, I'm looking forward to Bennett having an equally impressive game tomorrow night!
:thumbup:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Once again Jerry makes another trade that looks like it will be in the Cowboys favor.

He's getting good at this.
With as many bad trades have done for decades it's hard for me to believe he had anything to do with it other than taking the credit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fingers crossed.

I'm giving them a lot of credit thus far on the Bennett deal. Specifically to Richard. I think he clearly 'knows' Michael Bennett the person and the football player and knows what makes him tick and motivates him. And how to talk with him, work with him, and put him in the best possible position for success. Conversely, New England has their way of doing things and players are expected to 'get with the program'.

I think through prior experience, Richard and the Cowboys were able to construct and agreement with Bennett that works for both parties. Getting rid of that last year of his contract. Adding in incentives, having assurances about no anthem issues, and putting him in position to make plays, help the team, and enhance his own stock for a contract next year. Thus far, like Robert Quinn, it's been a win-win situation.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm giving them a lot of credit thus far on the Bennett deal. Specifically to Richard. I think he clearly 'knows' Michael Bennett the person and the football player and knows what makes him tick and motivates him. And how to talk with him, work with him, and put him in the best possible position for success. Conversely, New England has their way of doing things and players are expected to 'get with the program'.

I think through prior experience, Richard and the Cowboys were able to construct and agreement with Bennett that works for both parties. Getting rid of that last year of his contract. Adding in incentives, having assurances about no anthem issues, and putting him in position to make plays, help the team, and enhance his own stock for a contract next year. Thus far, like Robert Quinn, it's been a win-win situation.
I nod my head with enthusiastic agreement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
anything positive in a post should have the words "yeah but" or "pump the breaks" automatically come up in the following post.
That is true, but Bennett really looked good.

He is the kind of vet DL acquisition we have needed for years.

quickccc

Reaction score
Sorry but I'd easily place the trade of full time starter Robert Quinn ahead of reserve role Michael Bennett as maybe the steal of the year
He was really balling before he suffered and slowed by that rib injury vs philly..and he still had half a sack vs NYG

Manster68

Reaction score
I think Cowboys fans are excited for the success of Bennett because he fits the Marnelli scheme perfectly. That, and he is versatile.

Collins is having a good season, but Bennett can really help inside. Hey, I'm encouraged.

Maybe he can get in Cousin's face and produce a takeaway.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A little too soon to make that statement being only one game and all but interesting article nonetheless .
It has some nice gifs on play breakdowns

It's not really that early. We know the contract terms are good for us. Bennett is a proven commodity. His career was not a fluke.

He's coming off of 2 productive seasons, and was even productive for NE on limited snaps. 2.5 sacks with NE on only 25% snaps for half a season. His play for us is a continuation of a long term pattern.

Contract terms are good and he can play at a critical position of need for us. This wasn't so much a steal as picking up money in the street.