TRADED Cowboys trading for DT Jordan Phillips

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Yeah the line of scrimmage isn't important. We should save our 1st round picks for where it really matters. Like cornerback, for instance.
I'm still waiting for Jerry's....Al Davis moment....and takes a kicker or punter in the 1st.

Talk about sending shockwaves....taking a kicker so he can save some $$$ by not paying Aubrey.

That's how you build a real champion

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not a bad pickup, this is the type of move (along with Lawson) I was hoping to see more out of from the Cowboys earlier this offseason. Lower cost veterans who have some upside but are at least insurance policies in case your young developmental guys aren't ready.

On the flip side though don't go printing superbowl tickets just yet....NY just picked this guy up in free agency this season and is already bailing for next to nothing to a divisional rival. Maybe NY has other guys stepping up and is simply trying to do right by a veteran player? Just being 6'6" 340 doesnt make you a quality player.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he doesn't make this team. He's average, that makes him the top 1-tech already.
When teams trade away players this late into training camp for so little, it’s because he was a cut candidate. No one is throwing away valuable 1techs. He did not have a good year last year and evidentially NYG was not impressed with him, already giving up on a new signing:

Dallas even had a “hopefully he makes the 53” contingency in the trade. He’ll probably make the roster due to the need, but if they don’t like what they see, they have a minor incentive to move on from him.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Broaddus studied him last night and states he has more range than Hankins. Is able to pass rush from the NT position. And if he can stay healthy will be what this team needs in the middle.

Don't kill the messenger.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
When teams trade away players this late into training camp for so little, it’s because he was a cut candidate. No one is throwing away valuable 1techs. He did not have a good year last year and evidentially NYG was not impressed with him, already giving up on a new signing:

Dallas even had a “hopefully he makes the 53” contingency in the trade. He’ll probably make the roster due to the need, but if they don’t like what they see, they have a minor incentive to move on from him.
Absolutely. Honestly had the Cowboys liked the guy that much they could have signed him in FA earlier this offseason.

Maybe he just ended up not being a fit for what NY was wanting to do on defense and will surprise us, but I wouldnt get too optimistic just yet.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Absolutely. Honestly had the Cowboys liked the guy that much they could have signed him in FA earlier this offseason.

Maybe he just ended up not being a fit for what NY was wanting to do on defense and will surprise us, but I wouldnt get too optimistic just yet.
I was following this on the Giants board, and apparently they brought in some camp bodies to compete for the final DT spots, and everyone was playing about the same. So it didn’t matter who they dumped, and Phillips was probably the only one with any trade value due to his name

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Does he meet Jerry's usual requirement of a history of criminality or PED use?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Justin Rogers isn't garbage and it's funny that you bad mouth a 7th round pick.
Oh look. Rambo still not being able to even say anything bad about any Cowboy player. Probably defended Josh Brent too.

rambo2

Reaction score
Oh look. Rambo still not being able to even say anything bad about any Cowboy player. Probably defended Josh Brent too.
He has had a good camp. Why would I say something bad about him. Oh crap, I forgot that I wasn't going to reply to you anymore.

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah the line of scrimmage isn't important. We should save our 1st round picks for where it really matters. Like cornerback, for instance.
I’m all for controlling the LOS but a pure run stuffer is not worth a first round pick

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was following this on the Giants board, and apparently they brought in some camp bodies to compete for the final DT spots, and everyone was playing about the same. So it didn’t matter who they dumped, and Phillips was probably the only one with any trade value due to his name
Right, there starters are set, so unless Phillips was a nice step up from the younger DT backup contenders, might as well get something for him.

Our younger DT backup contenders were not doing well, so he may be a nice step up here. Of course, that says more about our DT depth than it does Phillips' level of play at this point. But most of our fans understood already that we didn't have much at DT. We're not even sure about the quality of our starters. Odighizuwa is a good player but not really the level you need at 3-tech and we don't even know if Mazi is going to turn into a good player.

Your team has much more confidence in its DTs, but you should because the Eagles have made it a priority.