TRADED Cowboys trading for DT Jordan Phillips

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t see him not making it but at the same time they didn’t trade him for anything. Maybe this is a wake up call move for Mazi and the other one techs. Didn’t risk anything to do it. People see 6’6 230 and get excited…..
Carrying more than two NT-only players would be a niche roster philosophy (assuming Mazi is done as a 3-tech), so this probably is indicative of where they think Justin Rogers is at

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good is relative. I have never seen a player who started as many games as he did last year have a sub-40 PFF grade before. Lets see what NYG got for him, that’ll tell us a bit about how he was doing this TC
He had one good year in 2019 and hasnt really done anything since. Not really a starting caliber DT

HungryLion

Reaction score
Am I worried about Mazi? Yes I am. Because i
Thought he was going to be good and he still has a ways to go. He may never develop. I haven’t given up yet though.

But the team needs 4-5 DT’s. These guys don’t play a lot of snaps. Before this trade who was playing behind Mazi and OSA?

Justin rogers a late round rookie? Anyone else of note?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Am I worried about Mazi? Yes I am. Because i
Thought he was going to be good and he still has a ways to go. He may never develop. I haven’t given up yet though.

But the team needs 4-5 DT’s. These guys don’t play a lot of snaps. Before this trade who was playing behind Mazi and OSA?

Justin rogers a late round rookie? Anyone else of note?

Not to mention that we addressed a position of need. The FO finally did something!!

_sturt_

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Mazi and everything to do with them finally concluding they really can't lean on a 7th round draft pick, nor a 30+ yr-old cut from another team's practice squad last season to be Mazi's back up.

Give them credit. This is exactly the kind of acquisition I've been begging them to do all off-season. I feel a lot better now.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Another trade Jerry wins.

Cowboys got a DT like everyone wanted.
Could have got him in free agency for nothing.....instead we gotta cough up a draft pick to acquire a journeyman. Jerry Jones and McClay are just the 2 worst front office executives in the NFL.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They may have liked what they see in Rogers as a backup this year but not with Mazi as the starter. They don't trust Mazi to be that guy this year so they bring in a vet to pair with Mazi. They are more comfortable this way than relying on Mazi to be that vet with a 7th round rookie behind him.

That's how I see this trade. It's not about Rogers. It's about Mazi and what a disappointment he is.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Mazi and everything to do with them finally concluding they really can't lean on a 7th round draft pick, nor a 30+ yr-old cut from another team's practice squad last season to be Mazi's back up.

Give them credit. This is exactly the kind of acquisition I've been begging them to do all off-season. I feel a lot better now.

Same here. Maybe we can finally stop the run!!