Twitter: Cowboys turned down trade offer for McGovern?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
My guess is it was a 4th or 5th round pick... that's about as high as I can see a team going for a backup G. But I'd be interested if teams were offering a player-for-player swap at say DT.

fivetwos

Reaction score
LOL.

My guess is someone offered a late round pick. No one is offering a 2nd round pick for a guy that isn’t even a starter.
For argument sake I used a 2nd.

I don't disagree but for a third rounder that hasn't busted, an offer of anything less makes little sense on the part of the team making the offer. How and why would Dallas ever accept?

My post was about it not being worth it for us, even for a second, so anything less than a first made no sense, but he isnt worth that.

There could have been players involved as well, but I'm glad the team apparently values OL depth along with the cap flexibility it offers for next year.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I would have done it for a 1st, nothing less....and I can't see why any team would value him that highly.

The cost on him was a 3rd, so what sense would it make to hurt your depth for this year, but also put yourself in a spot to need to give Williams a big second deal next year, and/or remove the flexibility of moving on from Collins?

My guess is someone offered what would be a low second....which would be roughly 20 or so players ahead of where McGovern was selected, so...Dallas would be hoping to what, replace him with that pick at best? No thanks.
If this FO knows what they are doing, and lately they very much seem to, McGovern is a starting guard here next year and the Collins/Williams savings is spent on the one year guys that are playing well...etc.
this is a great post and right on

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Un named random source with no details....sounds like a normal BB anonymous unconfirmed jibber jab that he likes to throw out there.

quickccc

Reaction score
That trade rumor was back during the end of summer ... and apparently it's been refreshed .
But you don't trade luxury and convenience during a SB drive, ..who would've plugged in for Martin in both 2020 (calf) ..and vs Bucs ?

Babe Loff per 105.3 interview, has already predicted that LG is gonna be Collins permanent position going forward. ..

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
With Collins back and McGovern capable of playing guard and center, I'd have no problem trading Williams for a mid round pick...

Beaker42

Reaction score
Well, what was the trade offer? I wouldn’t even listen if it were not a 2nd or 1st round pick.
Really, for a 2nd render who’s barely sniffed the field? If he’s so good why isn’t he starting at LG ahead of CW? Something’s rotten.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Your starting LG is La’el Collins who said he’s a natural on the left side. LC is not only better than McGovern, but McGovern struggles on the left side.
He said he is a natural at LT and had to learn RT.

He maybe stronger and better than Williams and at this point LC is the swing tackle.

McGovern is probably being trained for center

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That tweet is worthless without context

As are most. If you keep it vague and leave the speculation to the reader, more people comment or re-Tweet or whatever. That's what they're after on that platform anyway. Lots of media platforms for that matter. Even better if you can make people suspicious.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Really, for a 2nd render who’s barely sniffed the field? If he’s so good why isn’t he starting at LG ahead of CW? Something’s rotten.

Not trading him for anything less than a second rounder. Don’t know why you don’t get it. He has starting caliber talent. Just turns out Martin and Williams are better. In case you haven’t noticed, starting caliber OL don’t grow on trees.