Twitter: Cowboys Tweets 5/15

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I've heard them as well, and they make sense to me.

They've brought in younger cheaper talent along the defensive line, and you assume they would want to see what they have there. If you keep Crawford, someone else has to go.

Secondly, the more that comes out, the higher the numbers become on these contract extensions. Something's gotta give and you have to save money somewhere. Cutting Crawford saves the team $15 million in salary over the next two years. That pays for about one year of one of your other big deals for Cooper or Elliott. And it frees up a roster spot to see what someone else can do.

I agree. I would love to keep him but given some of the contract that are about to hit

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I would love to keep him but given some of the contract that are about to hit

He's an overpaid role player. A guy who doesn't even have a true starting role. Fans can talk about "he started X amount of games!!!" all they want. But ask them exactly where Tyrone Crawford is "their starter"? They shut up pretty quickly.

When you're paying a total cap hit of $10 million, that guy should be a bonafide, actual, no-questions-asked, starter. When he's not, you're overpaying, and that's a problem. Exacerbated by the fact that you have so many top-of-the-league-at-their-position contracts to now pay out.

And again, you either cut Crawford, or you cut one of the other guys without getting a look at them in actual NFL games, because you can't keep Covington, Hyder, Joe Jackson, or Jelks without cutting any of the guys who are already here. Something's gotta give.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He's an overpaid role player. A guy who doesn't even have a true starting role. Fans can talk about "he started X amount of games!!!" all they want. But ask them exactly where Tyrone Crawford is "their starter"? They shut up pretty quickly.

When you're paying a total cap hit of $10 million, that guy should be a bonafide, actual, no-questions-asked, starter. When he's not, you're overpaying, and that's a problem. Exacerbated by the fact that you have so many top-of-the-league-at-their-position contracts to now pay out.

And again, you either cut Crawford, or you cut one of the other guys without getting a look at them in actual NFL games, because you can't keep Covington, Hyder, Joe Jackson, or Jelks without cutting any of the guys who are already here. Something's gotta give.

I do not disagree. I think he is a solid player but not at the price he is getting paid. I see more advantage of releasing him and saving 15 mill over the next 2 years than keeping him. Your right given the guys who will be competing for the spot you may as well make the move

Kaiser

Reaction score

Jelks is a 7th round draft pick. Jackson is a 5th. Hyder had one tackle last year and signed Dallas because they guaranteed him a whopping 300K in salary.

I love having depth for training camp but I think the franchise will survive the fallout of putting a 5th or 7th round draft choice on the practice squad.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I keep seeing rumors or Tyron Crawford being a June 1st release to free up more money ahead of Dak signing. Do know if the Cowboys will just rumors I keep seeing on the matter

June 1st cuts haven't been a thing for years. The deadline meaningless

Kaiser

Reaction score
I do not disagree. I think he is a solid player but not at the price he is getting paid. I see more advantage of releasing him and saving 15 mill over the next 2 years than keeping him. Your right given the guys who will be competing for the spot you may as well make the move

No question Crawford is badly overpaid but you only save 3 Million against the cap by cutting him. (Next year its 7 Million and he is surely cut or renegotiates).

Crawford is a starting caliber player at all four DL spots in a scheme that values versatility, plus he is a team leader in the locker room. There is value in that and its very likely its more value than the 3MM in cap savings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No question Crawford is badly overpaid but you only save 3 Million against the cap by cutting him. (Next year its 7 Million and he is surely cut or renegotiates).

Crawford is a starting caliber player at all four DL spots in a scheme that values versatility, plus he is a team leader in the locker room. There is value in that and its very likely its more value than the 3MM in cap savings.

I think he solid but I also think the 15 mill over the next 2 years may be what pushes the Cowboys into releasing him. If rumors prove to be false I will not be upset I like him but if the rumors are true I fully understand why they would do so

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

Crawford is a bonafide starter, he's just good enough to play two positions at a starter level - that's not a negative. He is also a defensive team captain, so he's not some scrub. I hope one of those four guys you just named are somewhere close to capable of replacing Crawford at some point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jelks is a 7th round draft pick. Jackson is a 5th.

And you're good with cutting either or both without ever seeing them in an actual game?

Hyder had one tackle last year and signed Dallas because they guaranteed him a whopping 300K in salary.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyder has actually had 8 sacks in one season, right? Has Crawford ever done that?

I love having depth for training camp but I think the franchise will survive the fallout of putting a 5th or 7th round draft choice on the practice squad.

Just like I think they will by saving $15 million on a rotational guy that doesn't even truly start.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is a bonafide starter, he's just good enough to play two positions at a starter level - that's not a negative.

Where is he your "starter"? What position does he start for you?

He is also a defensive team captain, so he's not some scrub.

I never called him a scrub.

I hope one of those four guys you just named are somewhere close to capable of replacing Crawford at some point.

Same here. Youth and upside and $15 million of cap savings. Win-win.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And you're good with cutting either or both without ever seeing them in an actual game?

straw man

noun

a mass of straw formed to resemble a man, as for a doll or scarecrow.
a person whose importance or function is only nominal, as to cover another's activities; front.
a fabricated or conveniently weak or innocuous person, object, matter, etc., used as a seeming adversary or argument:The issue she railed about was no more than a straw man.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyder has actually had 8 sacks in one season, right? Has Crawford ever done that?

Then let him win the spot first and move on from Crawford if he does. Until then there is no reason to cut Crawford based on kinda maybe sorta Hyder will repeat the one good season he has had in four years in the league.

Dallas signed Damontre Moore for more money than Hyder and he had more career sacks than Hyder. I don't remember all the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments when Dallas cut him.

LittleD

Reaction score

We can all hope that Crawford gets suspended to 4 to 6 games which takes some cash back from him this year. He was a really poor sign.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It was about a call regarding trading La'el Collins for a 1st rounder (absurd anyway). But Mickey said that you have to trade him for a 1st rounder but then tried to say he wouldn't do it. Totally contradicted himself and showed his hypocrisy and double-standards once again. He tried to essentially chastise the caller for "not wanting to win" and succeeded only in again looking like a fool.

Haha. Odd stance to take. If someone offered me a first for Collins, I'd hand deliver him with a bow.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
straw man

noun

a mass of straw formed to resemble a man, as for a doll or scarecrow.
a person whose importance or function is only nominal, as to cover another's activities; front.
a fabricated or conveniently weak or innocuous person, object, matter, etc., used as a seeming adversary or argument:The issue she railed about was no more than a straw man.

Then what exactly are you saying?

Unless you have a secret plan for a 54-55 man roster?

You tell me what part you're claiming is inaccurate?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then let him win the spot first and move on from Crawford if he does. Until then there is no reason to cut Crawford based on kinda maybe sorta Hyder will repeat the one good season he has had in four years in the league.

Where did I or anyone else say "it must happen today"? You quote straw man and then go about using it. Quite the contradiction.

Dallas signed Damontre Moore for more money than Hyder and he had more career sacks than Hyder. I don't remember all the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments when Dallas cut him.

And he also had off-field and attitude issues. Any other apples to oranges comparisons you'd like to make?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha. Odd stance to take. If someone offered me a first for Collins, I'd hand deliver him with a bow.

Before they came to their senses!
:laugh:

But again, it's Mickey and he's a moron.

Nobody will give much for a good tackle making great money in a contract year coming off of significant surgery and expected to miss most offseason work. Much less any thought of "1st round picks".