Twitter: Cowboys Tweets 5/23

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still never bought to the "forcing" throws to Dez from the coaches...that is BS...it is on Dak, he makes the decision who to throw to.
And this play calling as it is called to Dez be the primary target, so it looks like it is a forced throw. Well all teams do that, after all the primary WR will get most of the calls.

The deal here, is the scheme is too predictable. So without a true #1, someone will start to get more targets, so defenses will catch up to it. IF the scheme even works.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Not buying into this lip service hype, until I see it on the field. I hope Stephen is right, but prove it. This is like saying "secret sauce" all over again.

I am pretty sure we already have seen it on the field. I remember seeing Dak's stats with and without Dez (I am a Dez fan for the record but knew it was time to move on) posted somewhere here. Will try to find them.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still never bought to the "forcing" throws to Dez from the coaches...that is BS...it is on Dak, he makes the decision who to throw to.
And this play calling as it is called to Dez be the primary target, so it looks like it is a forced throw. Well all teams do that, after all the primary WR will get most of the calls.

The deal here, is the scheme is too predictable. So without a true #1, someone will start to get more targets, so defenses will catch up to it. IF the scheme even works.

It’s the same scheme that got us to 2nd and 4th in the league in terms of point per series in 2014 and 2016. How’d it suddenly get predictable in 2017?

We were 9th in 2017, by the way. We dropped because the protection got worse.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am pretty sure we already have seen it on the field. I remember seeing Dak's stats with and without Dez (I am a Dez fan for the record but knew it was time to move on) posted somewhere here. Will try to find them.

I am too a Dez fan, and he had lost something, but I still say he has taken too much blame for the entire TEAM failures. But time to move on.
I am ready to see what the new WR's and TE's can bring, how everything develops.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s the same scheme that got us to 2nd and 4th in the league in terms of point per series in 2014 and 2016. How’d it suddenly get predictable in 2017?

We were 9th in 2017, by the way. We dropped because the protection got worse.

It was predictable in 2014 & 2016 too.

Sometimes we just have better talent then other teams.

When you have an Oline that can just steam roll teams you can get away with basic football.

Incredible Oline play and a Wizard at QB that could extend plays are the only reason this offense has had any success.

We can't rely on just out rostering teams.

Also, it's just regular season success. We need more then a good regular season every now and again.

Dallas has nothing to show for all of those points scored.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

I think part of it was the coaching. You can see in the All or Nothing series coaches telling Dak that even when Dez is covered he's open and to still throw him the ball. The other problem is when he did throw it to him there was a good chance he would drop it (this past season at least) and then complain that he wasn't getting enough targets. It was time to move on from Dez. His contract wasn't worth what we were getting. He was good...was.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think part of it was the coaching. You can see in the All or Nothing series coaches telling Dak that even when Dez is covered he's open and to still throw him the ball. The other problem is when he did throw it to him there was a good chance he would drop it (this past season at least) and then complain that he wasn't getting enough targets. It was time to move on from Dez. His contract wasn't worth what we were getting. He was good...was.

Well also when he threw it to Dez, it was off target. And sometimes drops will happen when off target and a defender is hanging all over you. Because they know what the play is. Plus Dez could not get separation, or a combination of all of it. It was not all on Dez but he has his share of the blame.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I've seen too much film of Dak "going through his progressions" to think it's a strength. He will often be looking at a WR who is open and he should throw the ball, but he will hold onto it and go to his next progression. Then he will throw it to this person, who is less open and less likely to gain more yards. Or it will be a dump off. Or he will now be late getting the ball out (which sometimes he holds it too long just staring at the guy he ends up throwing to, resulting in the same), causing the pass to be defended. And sometimes he just holds it too long and he is sacked/fumbles.

He just doesn't see the field all that well, and can be a bit timid on cutting it loose. There's of course his mechanics, weak arm, and accuracy as well, but that's a different subject from his progressions.