News: Cowboys unheralded defensive ends are showing bite

Toro9

Reaction score
Interior should be fine, especially if McClain can stay healthy (LOL, I know).

What the time frame on Mayowa, anyway? Personally, I think it's foolish that people put so much faith in him but nonetheless, he's a guy the Cowboys are clearly counting on so it would be nice to get him practicing and some game action.
He still hasn't practiced since OTAs. They are hopeful he'll be back next week so maybe we'll see him in the 2nd PS game. I'm kinda thinking the 3rd though.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
No chance Mayowa plays without significant practice time....that would be completely ********. I wouldn't rush him into game action even if he starts practicing at the beginning of next week.

The D line has the potential to be much better than the 2014 group, which was really a rag tag crew. Selvie, Crawford, Hayden and Mincey were the starters. That shouldn't be hard to exceed. Crawford, McClain, Thornton make for a nice rotation and then we have Collins and J. Crawford as well. On the outside, we have young, hungry guys in Mayowa, Irving, Russell and McAdoo looking to make a name for themselves until Lawrence gets back. Could see Wilbur doing a little pass rushing as well. Almost forgot Tapper.

Last edited:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
What is Gregory's exact status? He was suspended for four games, then missed a test. Is he automatically now out for 10 games? Is he currently in rehab? If not, why isn't he in camp like Lawrence is? Have the Cowboys given up on him? Chances are we will need some DE help due to injuries and he could play a role after 10 weeks.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Though lacking consistency (typical of rookies) and having most success against back-ups, the youngster is winning his share of battles against pro linemen.

I'm not sure we can call the tackles we have behind Smith and Free "pro linemen." Most of them are wannabe pro linemen who will be cut by the end of camp and not ever appear in an NFL camp again.

Tapper has potential but drawing any kind of conclusion based on him having success against these backups is foolhardy. It's good that he's beating future PE teachers, because it would be bad if he wasn't, but that certainly doesn't tell us he's going to have any kind of success against starting NFL linemen.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure we can call the tackles we have behind Smith and Free "pro linemen." Most of them are wannabe pro linemen who will be cut by the end of camp and not ever appear in an NFL camp again.

Tapper has potential but drawing any kind of conclusion based on him having success against these backups is foolhardy. It's good that he's beating future PE teachers, because it would be bad if he wasn't, but that certainly doesn't tell us he's going to have any kind of success against starting NFL linemen.

Damn, I must apologize...I was of the understanding that drills and scrimmaging actual involved the first string offensive line as well....thanks for the education here.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What is Gregory's exact status? He was suspended for four games, then missed a test. Is he automatically now out for 10 games? Is he currently in rehab? If not, why isn't he in camp like Lawrence is? Have the Cowboys given up on him? Chances are we will need some DE help due to injuries and he could play a role after 10 weeks.

He's in rehab. I don't think his suspension has been announced. Either will be 10 or 14 games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Pretty optimistic piece. Mayowa is not one of the guys I am most hopeful for mainly because hes not practicing and hes not a rookie that hasnt yet been discovered. Doesnt mean he cant be the guy we are hoping for though. Im more excited about Irvin, and Tapper. It is a dang shame that Dlaw is going to miss the first four because the way he came on and is battling with Smith makes me believe he's a legit double digit sack guy. Im not as down as many when it comes to our dline and that is mainly because a healthy Crawford Thorton and McClain* making an impact in the middle will be a huge difference from having golden cock in there. We may not have studs at DE but these guys are young, talented and hungry. Id fill alot worse if we were playing with a bunch of medicore 30ish players who had already reached thier ceiling. One thing that seems to get lost in the despair is the Cowboys being one of the youngest teams in the league.

The hope with Mayowa is that what he showed in limited action last year proves that his game has developed to a starting-caliber level. He played well when allowed to start. He's one of those players who had a long way to go when he entered the league and Dallas hopes that it has found a hidden gem.

It's possible that the team has, but Mayowa's ability will be tested more if he's given a bigger role here than he had in Oakland. Offensive linemen will start watching him closer on tape to study his tendencies. He's got good measurables that could allow him to beat them anyway, but it also could end up being a case where what's been successful for him can be nullified.

I like stories like Mayowa's. Some guys come into the league pretty much as the player they are going to be as a pro. Others, like Mayowa, are fairly raw lumps where they have to learn to use what they've got. Few of those guys really succeed at transforming themselves. It would be great for us if Mayowa is one of the success stories.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I was of the understanding that drills and scrimmaging actual involved the first string offensive line as well....thanks for the education here.

I may have misunderstood your comment in the OP. I thought you were referring to the backups as pro linemen.

If you were referring to the first-string line, I'm not sure I've read much about Tapper beating them, but I might have missed it. I have seen stuff on him beating the likes of Ryan Mack.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The hope with Mayowa is that what he showed in limited action last year proves that his game has developed to a starting-caliber level. He played well when allowed to start. He's one of those players who had a long way to go when he entered the league and Dallas hopes that it has found a hidden gem.

It's possible that the team has, but Mayowa's ability will be tested more if he's given a bigger role here than he had in Oakland. Offensive linemen will start watching him closer on tape to study his tendencies. He's got good measurables that could allow him to beat them anyway, but it also could end up being a case where what's been successful for him can be nullified.

I like stories like Mayowa's. Some guys come into the league pretty much as the player they are going to be as a pro. Others, like Mayowa, are fairly raw lumps where they have to learn to use what they've got. Few of those guys really succeed at transforming themselves. It would be great for us if Mayowa is one of the success stories.

Evidently this was Mcclay's find and he pushed hard for this guy. Should be a good indicator of Mcclay's evaluation skills.

Section446

Reaction score
Every year, these stories come out, every year, they prove to be premature.

Reactions: BAT

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I see potential in several of these D-lineman, it is an unlooked for bonus. Where I think the biggest benefit will come will be next year. Guys like Tapper and Collins will be platooned this year and be ready next. Irvin, Mayowa and Co. will be as the 2014 crew were. All hands on deck - at least for the first 4 games. With Marranelli manufacturing a pass rush. The reports on Lawrence sound really promising, so maybe this suspension has humbled him enough that max. effort on his part will result in a determined and capable pass rusher. Maybe we can manufacture a pass rush this year ! Glory be !
The bonus is really for next year when we should have a tried and tested pass rush, with DE's (and help) and DT's who will be battle tested with an off-season for this years rookies and injured players plus another draft with help on the way.
And maybe a MLB ready to play as well !
I know this was a fluff piece, but it does give me hope.... I feel somewhat better about where the pressure will come from, but this is before a game has been played.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I see potential in several of these D-lineman, it is an unlooked for bonus. Where I think the biggest benefit will come will be next year. Guys like Tapper and Collins will be platooned this year and be ready next. Irvin, Mayowa and Co. will be as the 2014 crew were. All hands on deck - at least for the first 4 games. With Marranelli manufacturing a pass rush. The reports on Lawrence sound really promising, so maybe this suspension has humbled him enough that max. effort on his part will result in a determined and capable pass rusher. Maybe we can manufacture a pass rush this year ! Glory be !
The bonus is really for next year when we should have a tried and tested pass rush, with DE's (and help) and DT's who will be battle tested with an off-season for this years rookies and injured players plus another draft with help on the way.
And maybe a MLB ready to play as well !
I know this was a fluff piece, but it does give me hope.... I feel somewhat better about where the pressure will come from, but this is before a game has been played.

I think that you are dead on...and Smith should push that strongly forward as well. One more targeted draft, and this team should be lining up for some very selectively targeted free agencies as well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think Irving is going to be the 2nd best DE on this team this year and first best in Weeks 1-4. He showed some really nice things last year as a UDRFA and as long as he stays healthy throughout TC he'll be ready for a solid year.

He seems tailor made for the LDE position. If they really do move DLaw to RDE when he gets back in game 5, I could see those two being the starters for the rest of the season and playing very well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This will be Dallas' best defense since 2010. I realize 2011-2015 were not good, but still....

They will surprise to the upside overall.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think Irving is going to be the 2nd best DE on this team this year and first best in Weeks 1-4. He showed some really nice things last year as a UDRFA and as long as he stays healthy throughout TC he'll be ready for a solid year.
Yes sir. I've loved this kid since he day he rolled into Valley Ranch. He's a player.