News: Cowboys unheralded defensive ends are showing bite

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
This will be Dallas' best defense since 2010. I realize 2011-2015 were not good, but still....

They will surprise to the upside overall.

Very well could be right. I just want to be 2-2 going into the 5th week. (3-1 would be ideal, but 2-2 would suffice) Lawrence is going to really make a difference...still pissed at him though.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Just read these threads. Man, we were wrong about tapper, Mayowa, Irving,and Collins.

Reactions: BAT

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Yup, they sure choked in the regular season. Cut 'em all.
Don't worry they will just like Showers did last night. You wanna keep him too? How about Russell lol. They choked big time in preseason and in physical fitness, it's only matter of time.

Which one of these dudes do you think will be a difference maker/ baller THIS season?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Don't worry they will just like Showers did last night. You wanna keep him too? How about Russell lol. They choked big time in preseason and in physical fitness, it's only matter of time.

Which one of these dudes do you think will be a difference maker/ baller THIS season?

I agree, cut everyone that hasn't shown pro bowl potential. Pretty much everyone on our d except Sean Lee or maybe DLawrence.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I agree, cut everyone that hasn't shown pro bowl potential. Pretty much everyone on our d except Sean Lee or maybe DLawrence.

Yes yes perfect! That's the spirit. Cut em - slice like a ninja cut like razor blade. So fast.
Let's start by cutting guys who wouldn't be playing on other teams and just shouldn't be in the NFL. Then we could move to cutting guys we found on practice squads that received little or no interest from other teams. Then we could move to the often injured, no practicing, non preseason playing, always hurt dudes.

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Yes yes perfect! That's the spirit. Cut em - slice like a ninja cut like razor blade. So fast.
Let's start by cutting guys who wouldn't be playing on other teams and just shouldn't be in the NFL. Then we could move to cutting guys we found on practice squads that received little or no interest from other teams. Then we could move to the often injured, no practicing, non preseason playing, always hurt dudes.

Yes! Because we have endless pro bowlers waiting to be signed in their place!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Right on...baby steps. Let's start with functioning NFL quality players. You know the kinda guys that other teams would actually fight to have on their team, then we can progress to pro bowlers, and the all pros, and then HOFers. But let's take it slow, let's just get some NFL quality avg or above avg starters on defense.

This reminds me, one of our starters from the last two seasons. Nick Hayden ( yes I wanted him gone the first time I saw him) didn't make the Browns cuts to 75. Can you believe it? A Cowboys defensive starter wasn't even good enough to make the Browns 75 man roster or practice squad.
:laugh::lmao2::lmao:

Sydla

Reaction score

They still have to field a team.

But I think, at least at this point, the pass rush/defensive end trend is not going in the direction so many of you claimed/thought it would.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
They still have to field a team.

But I think, at least at this point, the pass rush/defensive end trend is not going in the direction so many of you claimed/thought it would.
:hammer: X 100000000000

Sydla

Reaction score

No, but likely players that would be more consistent and better than what we may trot out two Sundays from now.

I am generally curious............ at what point will guys like you admit that the front office probably botched defensive end? 8 games into the season? 12? You need a full season?

It really is disappointing to me because I think if they had sunk a little more money into the position and been a bit smarter, this team would have a real chance to make some noise in the NFC, even with Prescott at QB.

But they took a STATED weakness and tried to fix it by shopping in the bargain bins. It makes little sense to me but at this point, we are all now just keeping our fingers crossed and hoping the unlikely actually happens.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's make this simple. 6 man DE depth chart for opening night. What would make you feel better about those first four games:

1) Irving, Tapper, Russell, J. Crawford, Mayowa, McAdoo

or

2) Irving, Tapper, Mayowa, J. Crawford, Williams/Ayers, Freeney

And over the course of the season (and I won't count Gregory), which gives you more hope that you will get production out of the DE spots?

1) Irving, Tapper, Russell, Lawrence, J. Crawford, Mayowa

or

2) Irving, Tapper, Lawrence, Freeney, Williams/Ayers, Mayowa

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not getting in the defensive front love fest until I see it in the regular season. If we can start consistently closing the pocket with 4 and 5 rushmen, that will tell me we've improved. Not only on the dline but also coverage from our secondary. Lastly, one thing is a good pass rush, the other is a good run defense which Sean Lee has been so helpful with. These LB's are going to have their work cut out for them.
Can't wait to see the starting product(s) on the defensive side of the ball. Hope it gets an attitude and earns a nick name.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not getting in the defensive front love fest until I see it in the regular season. If we can start consistently closing the pocket with 4 and 5 rushmen, that will tell me we've improved. Not only on the dline but also coverage from our secondary. Lastly, one thing is a good pass rush, the other is a good run defense which Sean Lee has been so helpful with. These LB's are going to have their work cut out for them.
Can't wait to see the starting product(s) on the defensive side of the ball. Hope it gets an attitude and earns a nick name.

I'm encourage by the fact the secondary may actually be pretty good creating opportunities for d-line coverage sacks. I am also encouraged by the potential of the DTs if they stay healthy.

Not so encouraged by any LB not named Lee, though....