Twitter: Cowboys "Unlikely" To Sign Wagner

luckyman76

Reaction score
Wagner would allow Parsons to go to DE full time, which would actually be an upgrade at DE and LB.

Want Wagner but Parsons as a permanent DE is a detriment to the team and the effectiveness of Parsons. Parsons is an unstoppable for largely because he is predator. He hunts from unpredictable positions. Our D was effective for the first time last season (until SF game with no run D) because it was unpredictable. Parsons at DE wears him down and his effectiveness. Having bookend rushers and Parsons was LETHAL to offenses. It is what made the weaknesses in the secondary less harmful. I would not have given the contract to Gregory but I would have been out there aggressive for Smith, Hunter, or maybe someone else young and productive available.

In FA, people like Gregory are the worst people to go after. Young, promising, NO PRODUCTION. He is not a top tier FA but demands the money. Forget about them and especially if they are YOUR player. They are a FA for a reason. I believe in signing my own FA early to extensions if they are ALL PRO (never RB, should have traded Zeke). Everyone else is optional. I would have liked Von Miller at a cheaper price but he is too old to justify a 6yr 20/yr deal. I would rather start at the higher number and actually pay the young guy who has been productive even if I have to trade for him with a lower pick. DE, QB, LT, and maybe DT are positions you pay for if you need them. Everyone else you draft.

I was a fan of the year that Jerry got the contracts done but I did not like the contracts at all. Jaylon Smith, Amari Cooper, Lael Collins, Tank, etc. Imagine if we did Dak's deal at a little above Went/Goff to start without lowballing him and got a 5yr deal. If we did Tank a year earlier but we did fix his contract now. Make Jaylon and Collins earn it and they don't. Amari is the one I know we had no choice because of the draft pick. He was damn good but he found a way to piss everybody off. Bad D drafting f'ed us. Taco instead of TJ Watt. Hill instead of DK Metcalf. Players with flaws in higher rounds with RG, LVE, Jaylon, Hill. None of them panned out in the end. Give me someone solid as hell with talent. Draft BPA and go get the guy you really want in FA. Outside of QB everyone is going to be replaced because there is position redundancy. RBs are expendable, OL abundant, DE abundant, CB abundant. You cannot go wrong drafting a great player, you will need them everywhere. Figure it out later at contract time.