Game Day *** Cowboys vs Browns post game thread ***

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
LET THIS FAN OF OVER 50 YEARS TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Xavier Woods was a 6th round pick for a reason. I never was enamored with his play. He has been embarrassing. Bad against the pass, bad against the run. Overrated like you have never seen before.

D Thompson is a total NFL waste, except as a special teams guy. There is a reason he was cut by several teams before coming to the Boys this time. Just because he is from Boise State means nothing.

Overall, our safety play has to be the NFL worst, exascerbating below average talent at CB with the two guys out.

Our two best CB's are down, Chido and Anthony Brown. While Diggs shows a lot of promise, he still is a rookie. Not even Darren Woodson started as a rookie.

I MUST SAY, I WAS NOT AMONG THOSE ADVOCATING GETTNG RID OF JEFF HEATH. THOSE WHO HAVE REPLACED HIM ARE LIKE HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS. COMPLETELY OVERMATCHED.

Heath would occasionally make some spectatular plays. He would have stabilized the defense a lot more.

Jaylon Smith: I see him running all the time chasing after people, but not making any wow plays. Does he ever cut off the wide running plays like Sean Lee did or screen passes that LVE stuffed? He is no run stuffer and the Boys middle has been exploited time and time again. Whatever the head coach has done to change the scheme of the defense of last year, they are worse. Sean Lee when healthy has been the best pure LB we have had in last 12 years, plus LVE's first year. Lee is a walking disabled list candidate. His body has never been one to be resilient.

DLAW: No one is talking about DLAW's disappearance after he got a huge contract after he delayed super major surgery right shoulder labrum which can cause permanent loss of strength. Great players still make plays. When DWARE's teams were not great defensively, he still shined.

POE: What a waste. He does nothing. He does not collapse the interior of the OL nor does he make any plays. He fails to control the line of scrimmage. He gets an F. I would promote Neville Gallimore and cut Poe. Get the kid some snaps.

TCRAW: For G-d's sake, Jerry, you let him back after double hip surgery and he is taking up a huge salary. Are you out of your mind? That is not what you want. There is no way his body can any longer produce the power that made him an above average player. He has been a non-factor when he has been on the field.

E GRIFFEN The guy is on the downside of his career. OK to have signed him. I need to see a lot more.

If we had crazy David "the octopus" Irving playing, we might have been able to create some turnovers, but he is long gone.

The offensive line is not great as it used to be. Connor Williams is not an above average guard. Right tackle is a disaster. Cam Fleming was an excellent center at FSU, but a big NFL bust. He has been terrible playing anywhere on the line. Lael Collins was stated to have a hip injury. Well folks, that is not like an ankle, wrist, shoulder or knee, where you have sprained ligaments that heal. I knew he had a serious problem which the Cowboys have outright lied to us. Is he needing arthroscopic surgery for a torn hip labrum or soemthing more serious? Get him to the best sports hip surgeon in the country. We cannot go to a Super Bowl without him.

TSMITH Back or neck, both are on the spine and the years, of all the blows his spine have taken from NFL trench warfare, have finally caught up to him. He is no Larry Allen or even Nate Newton, both indestructable forces who were playing at a high level through age 33. TSMITH cannot be relied upon anymore for a full season. We need to draft an OT in 2nd round. No way around this.

DAK HE IS NOT THE PROBLEM. He is not the savior. He has been taken away from his best game, running the ball with Zeke and controlling the clock. That is what he did his rookie year. This team has a weaker left guard in Connor Williams than Ron Leary was in Dak's first year. We do not have an awesome blocking center. Perhaps, our new center Biadiscz will be that one. He was the best in college football before he was injured. Dak's stats are inflated from desperation drives and when opposing teams ease up. He is no Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers or Russel Wilson. He fails too much when game is on the line. He needs to get the game to slow down. He cannot win in shoot-outs. He needs to control the clock and keep the defense off the field.

The team's terrible play has been due to the worst defense I have seen in my lifetime, going back more than 50 years. Also, terribkle turnovers and lettingb teh other teams get TD's off of them. Our defense never gets turnovers. One canot win withut them. The 1981 Boys got 37 INT's, that is no typo. 37. Why? We had great pass rushers, and ball hawks in the secondary who outran the ball when the opposing QB's threw. They covered the receiver and did not allow all these elong plays.

Nolan does not have a clue what to do.

Offseason moves: six picks in first 4 rounds: draft three DB's, one OT, one LB; sign some solid young, unimjured backups on other teams who are blocked from starting like an Anthony Hitchins was for us. They will be hungry, better than rookies.

I do not believe the terrible 1-15 1989 team was so bad on defense as this team is.

I am taking my attention to the baseball playoffs since watching the Boys is painful and getting my hopes up high only leads to a terrible depressive state.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

He walked off after answering this one question! Just another over paid bum!

Not @ all....playing back on their heals....catching blocks. We haven't out schemed anybody....and yet that was supposed to be a Nolan trademark.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Yet he still wants to get paid....I'm not sure how you can justify paying your QB 40 million a year .....even if he throws for 6500 yards and 40 TDs...yet your football team is 4-12.
Too many fans get enamored with stats and forget about the bottom line... Ws and Ls.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is horrible anticipating the rush and stepping into the pocket.

So bad. Prescott started the game watching Garrett execute a slow spin move to run straight at him for a sack.

I think the defense saw that and just quit. His lack of skill just demoralizes you. We may actually have a good defense if we had a better QB.

cern

Reaction score
At halftime i grabbed my 28 gage over/under, my lab caramba, hopped on the mrzr and went dove hunting. 6 mourning dove, 3 white wings and a dozen collared. Now i can enjoy watching the eagles get beat.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I do expect the defense to improve, albeit slowly, in the coming weeks. How?

We are still in a new defensive scheme, anybody that expected a top defense, even top 15 by now was way too optimistic. The new guys had no preseason games, no OTAs, they're all behind in the learning curve. Injured players will be back.

And if nothing else, they see what they're doing is not working, changes can be made.

Not to say the defense will improve a lot, but it will some...

Actually...no it's not. Nolan isn't going to change his scheme....Did you see some of the crap he was trying today? He had Aldon Smith playing OLB in a traditional 4-3 in space....WTH? the guy is a defensive end...Think your gonna see some really absurd lineups in desperation in the coming weeks.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Worst defense I’ve ever seen. Nolan should be gone tonight. Find me any DC who needs sub-40 performances to win and I’ll show you a bum on the streets.

Cmac

Reaction score
So bad. Prescott started the game watching Garrett execute a slow spin move to run straight at him for a sack.

I think the defense saw that and just quit. His lack of skill just demoralizes you. We may actually have a good defense if we had a better QB.
Are you really believing that?

Cmac

Reaction score
OBJ.....another Player of the Week candidate. He should thank the 'Boys.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When the freaking Browns dam near drop a 50 burger on your arse, its time to rethink the direction your organization is going.

This is like watching Big 12 football, LMAO

DStar22

Reaction score
well, for the most part, Dak does look better this year. much more accurate.
of course, we are the only team who could have a shot stopping an end around 20 yards beh9nd the line of scrimmage , then go after it so lackadaisically that it becomes an opponent TD...
or give the opponent 2 pts on a blocked kick.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Tough loss. Really hard to watch when the defense can't force a punt when the game matters. We rarely spend high leverage picks on defense but unfortunately, Vander Esch is always hurt, we lost Byron Jones because he was actually good and we didn't want to pay hiim... and Taco Charlton was a total bust. Based on this alone, our defense can be expected to be on bottom of the league.

We unfortunately need to go back to a milk the clock, super conservative, barely get first downs, run all the time, offense. It's too bad beacuse our pass attack is amazing. However, if your defense is completely overmatched, well, you gotta shorten the game. Keep the defense off the field. And pray you leave the game with a win. Most would argue we can't do this based on the fact that we are always losing early. However, even down 14 or 21 points.... we don't have a choice, keep the defense off the FIELD.

Plankton

Reaction score
Stuck with Lawrence another year. Jaylon can be dumped early in the league year.

For a 9M cap hit in a year where the Cowboys will need to pay their QB big time, and repair the swiss cheese defense. On a cap due to drop around 30M. Jaylon Smith won't be cut.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
For a 9M cap hit in a year where the Cowboys will need to pay their QB big time, and repair the swiss cheese defense. On a cap due to drop around 30M. Jaylon Smith won't be cut.

Cap hit can be shuffled year to year. Piling 7mil more bad cap onto Jaylon doesn't improve our cap or play situations.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
TWO TIMEOUTS, TWO-MINUTE WARNING - - - AND 3 MINUTES, 42 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK.

And 300 yards rushing by Cleveland. Correction. 250 yards rushing at the time. 50 more on their next run play.

Little reason to think we were going to stop them from running out the clock if we gave them the ball back. And a *deep* kick like the previous one doesn't give up all the field position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I like that last line about the "young guys getting better" vs the "old guys getting worse, or overpaid guys underperforming".

The way I felt in 89. I liked the season. Young guys trying hard over old guys phoning it in. Emotions are usually about which direction the arrow projects to be going in the future.

Shane612

Reaction score
Who is dumber, Jaylon Smith or Forest Gump?

Jaylon has stolen the 'dumbest payer in the NFL' title from Leon Lett.
Just think......two seasons ago, J Smith was the second coming if Lawrence Taylor.

:facepalm::huh: