Game Day ***Cowboys vs Chargers Post-Game Thread***

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This game made me feel worse about the Cowboys because it took the refs denying EVERY single Chargers big play with a penalty just to get a walk off FG. The refs did everything they could to make that a 2TD win and it was a 3 point game.

So are you saying they shouldn't call holding when there's holding? Most of the Chargers' problems were either caused by their own mistakes or by us forcing them to make a mistake. The Herbert sack was the only egregious tough call against them.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Prescott missed on only 4 passes today. All trolls will be ig'd.

Yeah, but you've got to admit that one of those was a pretty awfully thrown interception. Without that, his game looks great.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So are you saying they shouldn't call holding when there's holding? Most of the Chargers' problems were either caused by their own mistakes or by us forcing them to make a mistake. The Herbert sack was the only egregious tough call against them.
Chargers could have been called for a lot more holds. And on the sack, Parsons had a hold of him from the start of his backpedaling so at some point you have to call that in the grasp. Titans got a similar in the grasp call on seahawks in OT and won the game.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’ll ask you what I asked the other guy who said this same thing…. What makes you think anyone is actually complaining about getting the win? Discussing the sloppiness, discussing the horrible play calling at times, why is it so bad to want the team to do better at these things?

There's nothing wrong with wanting the team to improve and do better. But for some to keep claiming the Cowboys stunk, didn't earn the win, the refs did, and on and on is getting old. They complain if we lose and then complain if we win, without giving any credit where it's due.

We came into this game missing Gallimore, DLaw, Gregory, Gallup, and Collins, plus we're playing numerous rookies, and after playing 2 very good teams we're 1-1. That's not bad at all. Heck yes we made some mistakes, but these guys didn't look like last year's losers, these guys are playing hard! This year we are getting turn overs we never dreamed about last year. There's no comparison to last year.

This team is going to keep improving all year, but we can't expect a team full of rookies to look like a team full of 4 year veterans. What we can and should expect is to see full effort from the team, and I believe that's exactly what we're seeing. It looked to me like these guys are giving it everything they've got. Despite several strikes against them, they hung in there and beat a very good Charger team today.
Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Chargers could have been called for a lot more holds. And on the sack, Parsons had a hold of him from the start of his backpedaling so at some point you have to call that in the grasp. Titans got a similar in the grasp call on seahawks in OT and won the game.

I can understand the call, but I don't think there's a more than fair argument that the officials blew the whistle too soon. We'd certainly be saying that if it had happened to us.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can understand the call, but I don't think there's a more than fair argument that the officials blew the whistle too soon. We'd certainly be saying that if it had happened to us.
I agree the whistle was blown too soon. The part I don’t think gets mentioned is even if they don’t call that a sack, it’s still grounding and ends up the same result.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It was ugly and it happens, ask Herbert.

Not saying it doesn't, but also not going to pretend that just because he only missed on four passes doesn't mean that the interception shouldn't have been one of them. I think he adjusted to throw over the underneath coverage and sailed it over Lamb. Needed to pull it down or throw it away.

It ended up being uglier than Herbert's IMO. The first one of his was maybe a little behind the receiver, but Diggs also made a very good play. On the second one, the receiver slipped while trying to cut inside. Not the QB's fault.

Dak was efficient in this game and made some good throws, so I'm not trying to take anything away from his performance. If we had lost, though, that would have been among a handful of plays that we looked back on with regret. Thankfully, we don't have to.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree the whistle was blown too soon. The part I don’t think gets mentioned is even if they don’t call that a sack, it’s still grounding and ends up the same result.

I'm not sure it was grounding. I think he was outside the tackles, plus there was a receiver in the area. The officials certainly didn't throw a flag for grounding, but that could be because they blew the play dead. I'd have to go back and check if what I thought I saw was wrong, though.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not saying it doesn't, but also not going to pretend that just because he only missed on four passes doesn't mean that the interception shouldn't have been one of them. I think he adjusted to throw over the underneath coverage and sailed it over Lamb. Needed to pull it down or throw it away.

It ended up being uglier than Herbert's IMO. The first one of his was maybe a little behind the receiver, but Diggs also made a very good play. On the second one, the receiver slipped while trying to cut inside. Not the QB's fault.

Dak was efficient in this game and made some good throws, so I'm not trying to take anything away from his performance. If we had lost, though, that would have been among a handful of plays that we looked back on with regret. Thankfully, we don't have to.
He moved us in position to win. That's good enough for me. Take care buddy.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I don't really care for either call. I'll take it, but I'd rather see the play go.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'm not sure it was grounding. I think he was outside the tackles, plus there was a receiver in the area. The officials certainly didn't throw a flag for grounding, but that could be because they blew the play dead. I'd have to go back and check if what I thought I saw was wrong, though.

The ball didn't go pass the LOS so it would have still been intentional grounding.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
The NFL rulebook mentions "in the grasp" as part of its section on roughing the passer. Here's what it says: "The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer's safety is in jeopardy.”

In the grasp was the correct call.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
The Seahawks game should of been called a safety...

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I have used the term "must-win" many, many, many times over the last few decades, but I feel this truly was a must-win. It proves last week was no fluke, proves we can beat a good team (acknowledging some major penalties and turnovers on behalf of the Chargers). While it is way, waaay too easy to move the ball on our defense, they still made plays, and without our alleged best player on that side of the ball.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
  • Trevon Diggs, despite his outstanding pick on the first series, got an education today from Keenan Allen. He got worked.
Meant to comment on one particular play. San Diego got one very long completion on Diggs today on 3rd and long. The receiver went out and Diggs noticeably just slowed down. It was the same thing as Brown last week. I'm pretty sure Diggs had "trail" coverage technique/responsibility.

Perhaps we should be looking at Quinn for this crap.

Note: I'm pretty sure but not 100% that it was Diggs.

Carson

Reaction score
Meant to comment on one particular play. San Diego got one very long completion on Diggs today on 3rd and long. The receiver went out and Diggs noticeably just slowed down. It was the same thing as Brown last week. I'm pretty sure Diggs had "trail" coverage technique/responsibility.

Perhaps we should be looking at Quinn for this crap.

Note: I'm pretty sure but not 100% that it was Diggs.
In reality, Diggs was trying to help underneath and did not expect a dime for Herbert. 8/10 QBs can’t drop a dime like this.