Game Day Cowboys vs Giants Game Thread - 2nd Half

Plankton

Reaction score
Didn't get to see the game live, but DVR'd it, and managed to watch it not knowing the outcome ahead of time.

It's interesting when you watch a game, and think that a team didn't play especially well (certainly compared to a week ago), but makes very few mistakes, and wins by double digits.

If that's the takeaway from the game, then we are talking about what is shaping up to be a very good team.

Today, the Cowboys didn't pressure Manning particularly well, they didn't block Johnathan Hankins very well, Tyron Smith played poorly today, as did Brandon Carr, but the Cowboys, all things being considered here, are just a better team than they have been, and just plain better than the Giants. The Giants came out and competed hard, but the Cowboys are just a better, more confident team right now.

Romo was surgical in his throwing today. Dez Bryant woke up in the second half, and was completely unstoppable. Murray was stacked up more this game than he has been all season long, but broke enough big runs to go over 100 yards (he gained over 80 in just five carries). Escobar showed that the pre-draft reports of him having flypaper hands was pretty accurate. Terrance Williams continues to make big plays. The defense did just enough - key strip by Barry Church, and Terrell McClain was very disruptive in the third quarter - his stop/strip of Andre Williams was a fantastic individual effort. Speaking of Williams, how he ended up with 51 yards is beyond me, because with the exception of his one 22 yard run, it looked like he was stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage on nearly every carry.

Something I note each week mentally, as I watch games, is how many players get injured for each team. One thing I see is opponents of the Cowboys getting injured at a higher rate. Losing Beason and Cullen Jenkins was a big hit to the Giant defense, and yet another example of how physical this team is now. The Cowboys are not losing the physical fight in games - in fact, they have won this element each week.

Good win today against a division rival. I don't think that it was anywhere near their best effort, but they still won by double digits. Impressive indeed.

On to the Commanders on Monday night. That will be another tough game, but with Orakpo likely done for the season, their defense should be ripe for the picking. Arizona looms as a really tough clash on a short week.