Game Day ***Cowboys vs Giants Post game thread****

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Amazing comeback, one of the best I have ever seen!!!

I am a little concerned about the offense however, Romo had 45 pass attempts tonight. Last year he averaged just 29 a game. We also are using a ton of empty sets, even down near the goal line.

It looks like the decision was made to convert more to a WCO after losing Murray. This is not actually a bad thing, especially considering that we don't have any power backs now. So with smaller, quicker RBs it obviously makes more sense to use them more as receivers than runners. I think our RBs only had like 80 yards rushing tonight but like 125 receiving.

The major problem with this approach is that the main weakness of the WCO is that a lot of things can go bad. When you pass the ball almost 50 times, there is a lot higher chance of interceptions, fumbles, drops, ect.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
O-line is really good. People were saying they were elite at run blocking and only average at pass blocking, but I don't think Romo even got pressured once all game. It was very impressive. The Giants do seem to have an awful D-line though so we'll see next week against a better D-line in Philly. Running game didn't dominate but we did do a better job than in previous years utilizing the short passing game. That sort of supplements for a running game, but I'd still like to see more than a 2 to 1 pass to run ratio.

popp1234

Reaction score
Amazing comeback, one of the best I have ever seen!!!

I am a little concerned about the offense however, Romo had 45 pass attempts tonight. Last year he averaged just 29 a game. We also are using a ton of empty sets, even down near the goal line.

It looks like the decision was made to convert more to a WCO after losing Murray. This is not actually a bad thing, especially considering that we don't have any power backs now. So with smaller, quicker RBs it obviously makes more sense to use them more as receivers than runners. I think our RBs only had like 80 yards rushing tonight but like 125 receiving.

The major problem with this approach is that the main weakness of the WCO is that a lot of things can go bad. When you pass the ball almost 50 times, there is a lot higher chance of interceptions, fumbles, drops, ect.

One game. Situations dictate approach and adjustments. This will probably not be the last time you see this.

popp1234

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think Nick Eatment Dallascowboys.com predicted a final score of 27-26 Dallas.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
We're they playing over the top in 2 deep? If so that would explain all the short passes that went for good gains. It would also explain why they weren't taking deep shots. Also, how often was Dez in the game and when he was did he have cramps?

Additionally, they didn't need to go deep more than once or twice. They have the team to beat the Giants by 10-20 pts; assuming you don't turn the ball over and get decent field position.

They were playing man to man with a single high safety. Collins was playing in the box. Giants were ripe for the picking if we went deep. Don't get why we didn't at least take some shots to keep them honest.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Just some random thoughts. I don't want to start a new thread.

The opening drive reminded me of last season. We just dominated at the line of scrimmage and burnt up 11 minutes. Randle didn't look amazing but he picked up 28 yards on 6 carries. That's a lot of what Murray did last year. He didn't look amazing but he got a lot of carries. If you get 25 or so yards per drive, you're bound to get 125-150 yards a game. Even though we didn't score the TD, that first drive had me thinking we were gonna play like last year. Eat up the clock and run it 30-35 times. That seemed to stop. I'm not really sure why but we got away from the run early and finished with a 2 to 1 pass to run ratio.

Speaking of RBs, McFadden just looks good when he runs. He had a few nice runs but then nothing more. I think he was only in for one full drive. Randle seems to be a better receiver but I really have to see more from McFadden before making an evaluation.

I was happy to see Garrett throw 2 challenges early in the game. After we got screwed out of last season due to a controversial no-catch, Garrett wasn't having any of that. The second a similar play happened, Garrett challenged it and lost. But he did it a few minutes later after another play and won, which resulted in us getting the ball back. It really was a bad call and now the league has to cover itself by honoring the stupid rule they vowed to enforce. Garrett took advantage of that.

Although we didn't run as much as I would've liked, we did a lot of those short passes to slot WRs and TEs that New England, Green Bay and other teams have been doing for years. I've never really seen that before from us. We usually just hand the ball off or throw it 10+ yards. We had a lot of dink-dunk passes this game. It makes it harder to evaluate our run game.

Romo was a beast. He really just gets better and better with age. The little things he does like identifying the blitz and changing the play. It's Peyton-esque. And his clutchness is Brady-first-three-Super-Bowls-esque. I really think he can be the best QB in the NFL this year. He just keeps getting better.

Our success rests on Romo and our O-line. Both are equally important. Dez is a great weapon but we can win without him. We couldn't have done the same thing with Weeden throwing to Dez in the final 90 seconds. Or with Romo running for his life. It was all Romo and his protection.

The defense played well. There are just a few things I can't understand. 1) Why was Mincey starting over Gregory in the base? Flowers was petrified of Gregory. We should've taken advantage of that. 2) Why was Coleman inactive? Hayden was a ghost. McClain was solid. But Coleman was a beast the past few months. Our pass rush was ineffective and you need all the effective guys you can get. 3) Was Corey White active? He was our best CB this offseason. He needs to get on the field. I wouldn't mind him playing FS while Wilcox replaces Church. Wilcox is really starting to look good and I think he could be a very good SS.

I know our defense was short staffed and it'll get better once Hardy and McClain (and now Gregory) get back. But even now, there's no reason guys like Coleman and White shouldn't be on the field while Hayden and Church are.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They were playing man to man with a single high safety. Collins was playing in the box. Giants were ripe for the picking if we went deep. Don't get why we didn't at least take some shots to keep them honest.

I'll have to watch the All-22. It's hard to moderate and just watch the game....for me anyway. We don't take a lot of deep shots. IIRC we have a bottom 16 completion record for deep passes. Not certain about that.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
23-45

That's the pass to run ratio...
Where's the power? Wheres the ability to have the threat of the run on 3&4 or inside the 20?
Not just how many times you run, but when you run... and the threat of teams thinking you're gonna run...... breaking down the defense physically.

This may be a win, but this is not the style of football I want to see......I don't believe in its long term success... and I don't care what other teams do... I care what we do... the blitz is coming like winter.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Holy crap we won? Wow I had work super early and had to leave start of 4rth. Had no idea, this was a surprise. That's why you never know I guess. Way to go!! Bathroom break over ;)