Game Day ***Cowboys vs Seahawks Post Game thread***

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They made multiple stops at the end of the game. Dak absolutely deserves praise for his performance, but without the defense making three consecutive fourth-down stops, we'd be praising him in a loss. No one is saying the defense wasn't awful for most of the game, just that it stepped up with the game on the line. Without it doing that, we'd likely be viewing Dak's performance in light of a losing effort.
The defense put us in a hole. Prescott helped get out of. The defense made stops, but it shouldn't have been close, they were struggling. But yeah, if all you look at is a couple plays.....

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here are a few quick observations from the game:

This is a game that Dallas, last year or even earlier this season, would have lost. They showed real resilience.

The OL played well, particularly in the passing game. Yes, Dak was sacked 4 times but he basically had all day to pass.

Dak made throws into tight coverage that were quite remarkable. He's been doing much the same the past 5 or 6 games.

The pass defense looked a bit suspect. I don’t have an explanation. It seemed like the DL pressured Smith well, he still found receivers open.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The defense put us in a hole. Prescott helped get out of. The defense made stops, but it shouldn't have been close, they were struggling. But yeah, if all you look at is a couple plays.....
It wasn't a couple of plays; it was multiple series. Look, the defense deserves blame for Seattle being in the game. Dak deserves credit for keeping us in it despite the defense, despite the sacks, despite the mostly mediocre running game and despite the drops. But if the defense never found itself, we lose. That's why it's a team game instead of an individual one.

This is a game under Garrett that we lose because the defense would have never made a stop, so the offense would have had to be perfect. Instead, we could overcome those drive-ending penalties and sacks and those drops because we no longer have that kind of defense. We had one last night that was poor for most of the game and stepped up when the game was on the line.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It wasn't a couple of plays; it was multiple series. Look, the defense deserves blame for Seattle being in the game. Dak deserves credit for keeping us in it despite the defense, despite the sacks, despite the mostly mediocre running game and despite the drops. But if the defense never found itself, we lose. That's why it's a team game instead of an individual one.

This is a game under Garrett that we lose because the defense would have never made a stop, so the offense would have had to be perfect. Instead, we could overcome those drive-ending penalties and sacks and those drops because we no longer have that kind of defense. We had one last night that was poor for most of the game and stepped up when the game was on the line.
I really don't care, this kind of defensive performance would NEVER be excused if it were the offense. It's actually kind of wild.
The offense, is the reason the game was remotely winnable. And this was without Walker!

gimmesix

Reaction score
I really don't care, this kind of defensive performance would NEVER be excused if it were the offense. It's actually kind of wild.
The offense, is the reason the game was remotely winnable. And this was without Walker!
The defense's performance is not being excused. But just like any player deserves credit for stepping up with the game on the line, the defense does, too. If Prescott played poorly in a game that the defense kept close, then played brilliantly on a game-winning drive, we'd criticize him for playing poorly and praise him for stepping up when he absolutely had to. That's what the defense did.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The defense's performance is not being excused. But just like any player deserves credit for stepping up with the game on the line, the defense does, too. If Prescott played poorly in a game that the defense kept close, then played brilliantly on a game-winning drive, we'd criticize him for playing poorly and praise him for stepping up when he absolutely had to. That's what the defense did.
I've been listening to fans here trash specific players for years. I know exactly how threads would go had Dak also had a bad game. It's not debatable.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I've been listening to fans here trash specific players for years. I know exactly how threads would go had Dak also had a bad game. It's not debatable.
I don't let other fans influence me to not give credit where credit is due. We don't have to trash what the defense did late in the game just because some fans would trash Dak if he played poorly for most of a game.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't let other fans influence me to not give credit where credit is due. We don't have to trash what the defense did late in the game just because some fans would trash Dak if he played poorly for most of a game.
I'm not. I'm saying it's not good enough to win against SF, Philly or maybe Detroit.

Plankton

Reaction score
Even for you that’s a weak troll bro. I expected more.
He's pretty much right. The Eagles have not lost a game in the conference this year. The Cowboys have lost three. Even if the Cowboys beat the Eagles and the Eagles also lose to San Francisco, the Cowboys would need the Eagles to lose to either Seattle or one game out of the Giants (2) or Arizona to gain a tie breaker edge. That also means the Cowboys can't lose a game the rest of the way. That will be a tough pull anyway you look at it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm not. I'm saying it's not good enough to win against SF, Philly or maybe Detroit.
I don't know. Seattle played great on offense last night and deserves some credit for that. The Seahawks had a good game plan, got the ball out of Smith's hand quickly (something he had struggled with). Now, I do believe the San Fran and Philly losses this season show that it's going to be on the offense to perform like it did in this one until the defense can make a critical stop or two. It's not all going to be about defensive dominance.

It's just tough to be a great defense in the league that now gives so many advantages to the offense. I mean, even the 49ers have had a game where they gave up 31 points (loss to the Bengals). Philly gave up 31 to the lowly Commanders and 34 to the Bills. Expectations may have been because the Seahawks have been struggling that we wouldn't have that kind of game against them, but you just never know in this game (and before their struggles, the Seahawks did score 37 against the Lions and Panthers in back-to-back games in September). Frankly, I hope they have rediscovered their offense since they face the 49ers and Eagles next.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know. Seattle played great on offense last night and deserves some credit for that. The Seahawks had a good game plan, got the ball out of Smith's hand quickly (something he had struggled with). Now, I do believe the San Fran and Philly losses this season show that it's going to be on the offense to perform like it did in this one until the defense can make a critical stop or two. It's not all going to be about defensive dominance.

It's just tough to be a great defense in the league that now gives so many advantages to the offense. I mean, even the 49ers have had a game where they gave up 31 points (loss to the Bengals). Philly gave up 31 to the lowly Commanders and 34 to the Bills. Expectations may have been because the Seahawks have been struggling that we wouldn't have that kind of game against them, but you just never know in this game (and before their struggles, the Seahawks did score 37 against the Lions and Panthers in back-to-back games in September). Frankly, I hope they have rediscovered their offense since they face the 49ers and Eagles next.
We just need to clean things up. All the penalties etc..

Bagman

Reaction score
This game, and 8 more, was without Diggs.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Hahahaha your right! I would be all over Dak. But he showed something these last few weeks. I think McCarthy has him spreading the ball around and making a lot of good throws. There were a few times where Dak held the ball a little more than I would like but he had a great game. The defense was concerning. I would say scheme was part of it along with under estimating Seattle. The one thing I would like to add about Daks progression is he is learning to use the pocket and keeping his feet moving. He never use to shuffle his feet like he is now.

Bagman

Reaction score
Water is wet.
I actually agree with your post, I just wish Diggs didn't get hurt. This defense would look significantly better with Gilmore, Diggs and Bland as the top 3. But, injuries are part of the deal.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I actually agree with your post, I just wish Diggs didn't get hurt. This defense would look significantly better with Gilmore, Diggs and Bland as the top 3. But, injuries are part of the deal.
Can you imagine? He and Overshown? Whoa.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We just need to clean things up. All the penalties etc..
Agreed on that. The one that bugs me most is lining up offside because that should be easy to fix but yet we keep doing it.

Reactions: G2