Cowboys vs Skins in Free Agency

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember all of those years the Skins won big in free agency? Albert Haynesworth, etc..

The Cowboys losing in free agency to the Skins still really hurts.

I don't care about the Patriots winning some silly game in February so many times. That's trivial compared to all of those years the Skins won free agency.

I've heard the Patriots won that same silly game again but I couldn't care less. My focus is on the Cowboys winning free agency.

I fear the Skins might be up to their winning ways again this year.

Stupid teams like the Patriots and Cowboys will like just keep on being losers (in free agency) every year. I feel as bad for those Patriots fans as for us Cowboys fans. At least we won free agency once or twice since 2000 (50M for Brandon Carr one year and about 50M for Bigg Davis another year). The sad sack Patriots have never won.

I have the press conference from when the Cowboys signed Brandon Carr that I just re-watch every year to remember the great memories.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Remember all of those years the Skins won big in free agency? Albert Haynesworth, etc..

The Cowboys losing in free agency to the Skins still really hurts.

I don't care about the Patriots winning some silly game in February so many times. That's trivial compared to all of those years the Skins won free agency.

I've heard the Patriots won that same silly game again but I couldn't care less. My focus is on the Cowboys winning free agency.

I fear the Skins might be up to their winning ways again this year.

Stupid teams like the Patriots and Cowboys will like just keep on being losers (in free agency) every year. I feel as bad for those Patriots fans as for us Cowboys fans. At least we won free agency once or twice since 2000 (50M for Brandon Carr one year and about 50M for Bigg Davis another year). The sad sack Patriots have never won.

I have the press conference from when the Cowboys signed Brandon Carr that I just re-watch every year to remember the great memories.
"Winning" free agency is a fallacy. It's like "winning" an auction. All it means is you were the guy willing to pay the most money. That's not my idea of "winning". It's just pure capitalism. You made a purchase that hasn't yet panned out for you yet. I think SJ like the Pats are smart not to be the guys spending the big money in free agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys, just like the Patriots, minus the 6 Super Bowl wins and 9 Super Bowl appearances in the last 18 years.

Exactly the same.

Also minus the fact they do spend some money early in FA like they did with Jabaal Sheard and Stephon Gilmore.

And minus the fact they use trades way more than we do, sometimes to take on salary late in contracts so they don’t have to carry big cap numbers like they are doing. With Michael Bennett this year.

And minus the fact the rack up comp picks like no one else because they are constantly maneuvering.

And minus the fact they tend to get rid of older players and also are willing to move younger guys who are facing big contracts instead of getting into contract squabbles.

But yeah. Other than that, really similar.

Sydla

Reaction score
"Winning" free agency is a fallacy. It's like "winning" an auction. All it means is you were the guy willing to pay the most money. That's not my idea of "winning". It's just pure capitalism. You made a purchase that hasn't yet panned out for you yet. I think SJ like the Pats are smart not to be the guys spending the big money in free agency.

The Pats literally made Stephon Gilmore one of the highest paid CBs in football an offseason or two ago.

It’s embarrassing that people actually think we approach FA and overall roster management like the Patriots.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
LOL another poster trying to compare what we do in the offseason to the Patriots.

Do people really think the Cowboys and Patriots are very similar in how they approach roster building?

I like the “patriot way” approach but we are missing the hoodie and tommy which makes me weary. Also their owner doesn’t meddle in football operations either and have his offspring playing co GM

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This idea that fans want to "win" free agency is laughable, as well as world class apologizing for this Front Office.

Most fans want us to get better, increasing the chance of playoff advancement the next season.

Also, the idea that we will simply outdraft everyone else is equally arrogant and ignorant, especially when we don't pick until the late 2nd round.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Pats literally made Stephon Gilmore one of the highest paid CBs in football an offseason or two ago.

It’s embarrassing that people actually think we approach FA and overall roster management like the Patriots.
We make our own player the highest paid at their position so we do exactly what you give an example of the Pats doing... Or do you not like Zak Martin?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The Pats literally made Stephon Gilmore one of the highest paid CBs in football recently.

And they make trades for guys who actually start and contribute for them. Jason McCourty, Kyle Van Noy, Trent Brown, Cordarelle Patterson, Danny Shelton, Josh Gordon. Amari was the exception for us.

We like to make trades for guys like Jihad Ward and Jamize Olawele.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL another poster trying to compare what we do in the offseason to the Patriots.

Do people really think the Cowboys and Patriots are very similar in how they approach roster building?
The Dallas Cowboys, just like the Patriots, minus the 6 Super Bowl wins and 9 Super Bowl appearances in the last 18 years.

Exactly the same.

The Cowboys and Patriots are both losers.

They don't win Free Agency.

Who cares about anything thing else.

What's this SB nonsense. I don't care about that. Maybe the Patriots won some Mascot competition too. Who cares? They don't win free agency and the Cowboys don't win free agency. That makes them both losers!

Sydla

Reaction score
We make our own player the highest paid at their position so we do exactly what you give an example of the Pats doing... Or do you not like Zak Martin?

This has nothing to do with the point.

You said the Pats don’t spend money in FA. That’s simply a false statement on your part.

You also lumped SJ in with the Pats and no one with a shred of common sense would actually argue that the Cowboys and Patriots are very similar in how they manage/build a roster.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So because the Patriots currently have best coach and qb tandem in history....being smart in free agency is something only they're allowed to be?

Come on people don't be stupid. We go through this same stupid exercise every year. Every year.

These are not good deals. You need to be smart in free agency. And all these players signing deals leaving their current teams are leaving because their current team couldn't pay them because they weren't smart with their cap.

Meanwhile we have almost no bad deals on our books while retaining our top talent...why again?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And they make trades for guys who actually start and contribute for them. Jason McCourty, Kyle Van Noy, Trent Brown, Cordarelle Patterson, Danny Shelton, Josh Gordon. Amari was the exception for us.

We like to make trades for guys like Jihad Ward and Jamize Olawele.
You didn't like the Herschel Walker trade? Or are you one of those guys that pretend it didn't happen?

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Patriots are both losers.

They don't win Free Agency.

Who cares about anything thing else.

What's this SB nonsense. I don't care about that. Maybe the Patriots won some Mascot competition too. Who cares? They don't win free agency and the Cowboys don't win free agency. That makes them both losers!

Tell us more how the Cowboys and Pats are similar in roster building.

Sydla

Reaction score
You didn't like the Herschel Walker trade? Or are you one of those guys that pretend it didn't happen?

LOL at citing a trade from 30 years ago.

I had little doubt this would go off the rails and you did not disappoint.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Patriots are "cheap" because they move on from players before they outprice themselves..Richard Seymour, Chandler Jones

The Cowboys are cheap because they expect players to play for less than market value. Demarcus Lawrence, all outside free agents.