Game Day ***Cowboys vs Texans Post game thread***

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Watkins has been first team since Oxnard. Hasn't changed as far as i know. I figured Urban would be starter before camp started.

I agree with you on OL. Really wanted Rashawn Slater (although i like and understand taking Parsons). I had Slater as best OT, even over Sewell, and Slater is dominating. Hasn't lost a single 1 on 1 and that's including going against Bosa. Sewell has struggled thus far

Since Watkins was out tonight, we had Urban playing next to Odighizuwa in the nickel fronts, but you are right, Watkins has been the other tackle in those fronts and I believe, the starting nose tackle when we use the 3-4 fronts. It was good to see Bohanna get some of those snaps tonight.

I still don't know what we're going to look like in those 3-4 fronts since Lawrence hasn't been available. Is it going to be 5-tech Urban, 1-tech Watkins, 3-tech Odighizuwa, LEO/DPR Lawrence? Or is Gregory going to serve in the DPR role or are they going to split it so both can play the nickel snaps?

I'm not too keen on any lineup that doesn't have Gregory and Lawrence on the field at the same time. I don't think Urban, Watkins and Odighizuwa are better players than them. Of course, they can't play every snap and we won't be in the 3-4 fronts too often since it's only a run-stopping setup.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Since Watkins was out tonight, we had Urban playing next to Odighizuwa in the nickel fronts, but you are right, Watkins has been the other tackle in those fronts and I believe, the starting nose tackle when we use the 3-4 fronts. It was good to see Bohanna get some of those snaps tonight.

I still don't know what we're going to look like in those 3-4 fronts since Lawrence hasn't been available. Is it going to be 5-tech Urban, 1-tech Watkins, 3-tech Odighizuwa, LEO/DPR Lawrence? Or is Gregory going to serve in the DPR role or are they going to split it so both can play the nickel snaps?

I'm not too keen on any lineup that doesn't have Gregory and Lawrence on the field at the same time. I don't think Urban, Watkins and Odighizuwa are better players than them. Of course, they can't play every snap and we won't be in the 3-4 fronts too often since it's only a run-stopping setup.
Will be interesting to see how Quinn attacks starting week 1 with different lineups

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why Hooker was playing late in the 2nd half was concerning....that's usually time for guys on the bubble. I thought Hooker looked good for a guy coming off an achilles tear.
I figure they are getting him slowly involved in limited ways. Just started practicing, what, last week?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I figure they are getting him slowly involved in limited ways. Just started practicing, what, last week?

Yeah, I think if he's healthy, his spot is pretty safe. We kept the starting safeties out there the entire first half. I think the safeties on the 53 are likely Wilson, Kazee, Hooker and Kearse. Right now, we seem to be bringing Kearse in as the third safety and kind of having him play a dime linebacker role. We'll see if we eventually transition that to Hooker, playing him and Kazee back and Wilson in the role Kearse is playing when we have the pass defense out there.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Agree here.

The team has said as much. They are bringing him along slowly. He wasn't as far along with his recovery as Kazee.

I really hope we can find a way to keep him after this season. Hooker is the type of safety we've been looking to find for years.

I'm actually a little hopeful at the position. Kazee has had a good offseason. Wilson has had some nice moments the last couple of seasons. Mukuamu (I really have no idea how to spell the name) has promise. If Hooker can stay healthy he is a stud.

But I should know better than to get excited for the safety position with this team.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I mean. He's supposed to know QBs and he targeted Ben DiNucci as the guy to develop. That is alarming to say the least because that dude doesn't belong anywhere near an NFL field.

As your previous post pointed out, he hand picked his last year's d coordinator who was promptly fired and his developmental QB. Add in more than a few historically bad in game choices and this guy just MIGHT not be the best decision maker as a Head Coach of a football team.
But hey, when does true accountability ever come into play around these parts? Lol

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I think if he's healthy, his spot is pretty safe. We kept the starting safeties out there the entire first half. I think the safeties on the 53 are likely Wilson, Kazee, Hooker and Kearse. Right now, we seem to be bringing Kearse in as the third safety and kind of having him play a dime linebacker role. We'll see if we eventually transition that to Hooker, playing him and Kazee back and Wilson in the role Kearse is playing when we have the pass defense out there.
Yup, I'd say the DBs are looking promising. Parsons is always around the ball. Kearse was killing 'em. Dline looks to be firming up and rebounded well after that first series.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was definitely the best of the 3. If they had left him in, we win that game.
Yeah, I saw only one bad pass. He was focused and fairly decisive much of the time. An improvement over previous seasons. But, I need to see more of the same.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Watkins has been first team since Oxnard. Hasn't changed as far as i know. I figured Urban would be starter before camp started.

I agree with you on OL. Really wanted Rashawn Slater (although i like and understand taking Parsons). I had Slater as best OT, even over Sewell, and Slater is dominating. Hasn't lost a single 1 on 1 and that's including going against Bosa. Sewell has struggled thus far
Damn I didn't know that I heard a lot of people say Sewell was a generational type tackle.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I mean. He's supposed to know QBs and he targeted Ben DiNucci as the guy to develop. That is alarming to say the least because that dude doesn't belong anywhere near an NFL field.
I like Mike, but sticking with Dinucci this long is a huge negative. He has to be biased by the Pitt connection because this guy makes Quincy Carter look like Peyton Manning.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also probably a little shot at Gilbert.

He pulled Gilbert after only a couple of series.
Or, the starter usually plays only two series, (with Dak not starting yet.) But, he did not do enough to keep that status next game.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Or, the starter usually plays only two series, (with Dak not starting yet.) But, he did not do enough to keep that status next game.
Not in this case. Gilbert had more snaps in the previous two games. In a "dress rehearsal" game, a QB will normally get more snaps than Gilbert had.

I think MM isn't happy with him.