RELEASED Cowboys waive Antwaun Woods

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why does Gallimore need to bulk up more when he's already at 305 lb?
to which I believe we dunno if it will be a one gap 3-man scheme (ala Wade Phillip style) ....or a 2 gap scheme (ala Baltimore, Steelers style)

not only that, but it's already been said by Quinn that the defense will run the nickel 60-70% of the time, so why not keep Gallimore in his current form or state without
having to sacrifice any key quickness ?

Good point. I'm sure we'll see what kind of 3-4 we use.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess maybe they were covering bases, but it's not like this draft was light at quality NT. Additionally, Quinn wants to run a 3-4 which he has run. Did Jerry honestly forget what a 3-4 means after Phillips? Woods doesn't fit the 3-4. I'm also surprised they kept Lewis. I don't think he fits Quinn's defence either.

I'm not so sure if Lewis isn't going to see some time at free safety. I've heard nothing on that but it seems like that would be a better fit than at corner based on what they've signed.

And I do agree. I liked Lewis based on what I think he can do in a good scheme....but the same reason to let go of Woods is why they should've ;let Lewis go. You can get cheaper and younger at the position. Unless they think he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why does Gallimore need to bulk up more when he's already at 305 lb?
to which I believe we dunno if it will be a one gap 3-man scheme (ala Wade Phillip style) ....or a 2 gap scheme (ala Baltimore, Steelers style)

not only that, but it's already been said by Quinn that the defense will run the nickel 60-70% of the time, so why not keep Gallimore in his current form or state without
having to sacrifice any key quickness ?
Yeah I'd be careful of asking guys to bulk up just to play a position.......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
and they turned right back around -and cut him, just a few days after the NFL draft.
. do you do that to a player you're supposedly liking enough to tender an offer ?
:huh:
Man.....I'm trying to figure that out myself...I don't want to make a big deal out of this but it really bothers me that this team seems to be showing incompetence on how they are choosing to build this defense.

Like I said above, I have no issue letting him go. IF we are honest it probably was a season or two overdue.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm not so sure if Lewis isn't going to see some time at free safety. I've heard nothing on that but it seems like that would be a better fit than at corner based on what they've signed.

And I do agree. I liked Lewis based on what I think he can do in a good scheme....but the same reason to let go of Woods is why they should've ;let Lewis go. You can get cheaper and younger at the position. Unless they think he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.....

That's sort of where I see Lewis being best anyway.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had ZERO intentions on finding a safety. Each and every time they picked they had their shot of any position they wanted. They had plenty of picks. If they wanted a safety they could've drafted one.

I liked Woods probably more as a person than as a football player. Seems like a cool chill guy to hang out with. Releasing him now makes no sense even if I'm not a fan of him. He's the caliber of player that you should try and move away from and fill with a rookie. And they did that I just don't know what they were thinking a few weeks back when they re-signed him to begin with.

Oh-kay.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I found this very interesting. Thoughts running g through my mind:

1. Did we just sign Woods as a smoke screen? If so, was it worth the wasted cap dollars we spent on SB, and was it even a smoke screen at all, considering everyone and their dog knew we needed to upgrade at DT?

2. Do they need his roster spot immediately?

3. Why now? Why not wait until training camp and cut him if he doesn’t perform in training camp. You might need him later on due to injuries, etc.

4. Did he do something that pissed the Cowboys off and they cut him? If so, +1 to the Cowboys for creating a culture of accountability.

I doubt antuan woods and smoke screen have every been connected thoughts

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yeah, seems a bit premature. It could be in Quinn’s analysis of the roster he wasn’t a fan of Woods. In a strange way they may doing him a favor by cutting him now so he can latch on with another team.

That said, he seemed like decent enough rotation player.

Agreed. I would've cut Hill instead. He's atrocious.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I would've cut Hill instead. He's atrocious.

If I had to bet? It’s coming.

Either that or a next-to-nothing ‘trade’ to his only fan out in Las Vegas.

But given how he’s managed to ruin their defensive line too, I’m not sure if he has the pull there to do anything at all.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’d say injury concerns, and potentially getting stuck paying over $2 million for your backup nose tackle.

Injury risk is the main cost of keeping anyone. But wouldn't he just be given an injury settlement? Injured guys do get cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Injury risk is the main cost of keeping anyone. But wouldn't he just be given an injury settlement? Injured guys do get cut.

I’m not sure of the parameters of his particular contract as a restricted free agent. But apparently the team didn’t value him enough to take the risk.

lwehlers

Reaction score
i for one am not to upset to see woods go. he was just an average player. he will probably sign with a playoff team now.