3) Hill
4) Gallimore
5) Osa
6) Gholston
7) Anae
8) Basham
9) Bohanna
10) Watkins

No h in Golston. I think people see the name once and think ghost automatically and add an h.

Some people liked to add an h to Witten, making it Whitten.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wonder who backs up Bohonna. Urban?

Freeing up Heath’s money

Urban's a strong run defender, but I'm not sure he's built for NT. I guess he could play it if needed. During the draft, it was talked about Osa playing NT in college and holding up against the run despite his size, so I guess that's a possibility. We do have Justin Hamilton, who ended up playing for us some last season and probably better fits at NT than anyone outside of Bohanna. But it mainly appears that we are relying on Bohanna to fill that spot.

It seemed last year that we were reluctant to re-sign Woods for some reason. I believe we didn't even offer him an ERFA deal until we had to. This year, we essentially offered him because he was all we had. I guess the draft changed that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well, then he'll have to learn to play 3-4 OLB. As stated, the difference is he tried to standup in a 4-3 at DE. That's not going to work. Standing up in a 3-4 from the OLB would work better for him I think.

I don't know if it's going to necessarily look like a 3-4. I think Lawrence will be more of a DE in positioning next two three DTs, so he would be viewed as an OLB even though he's more of a DPR. Parsons will be the other OLB with LVE and Smith playing the two ILB spots. Based on formation, it will look more like a 4-3.

Of course, that's just my thoughts. I could be wrong. I just don't think we're viewing Lawrence as a 3-4 OLB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know if it's going to necessarily look like a 3-4. I think Lawrence will be more of a DE in positioning next two three DTs, so he would be viewed as an OLB even though he's more of a DPR. Parsons will be the other OLB with LVE and Smith playing the two ILB spots. Based on formation, it will look more like a 4-3.

Of course, that's just my thoughts. I could be wrong. I just don't think we're viewing Lawrence as a 3-4 OLB.

Might be a bit of a mix at first, but Quinn made it quite clear he wants to run a 3-4. So, Lawrence would be wise to shift to a more 3-4 favourable position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Urban's a strong run defender, but I'm not sure he's built for NT. I guess he could play it if needed. During the draft, it was talked about Osa playing NT in college and holding up against the run despite his size, so I guess that's a possibility. We do have Justin Hamilton, who ended up playing for us some last season and probably better fits at NT than anyone outside of Bohanna. But it mainly appears that we are relying on Bohanna to fill that spot.

It seemed last year that we were reluctant to re-sign Woods for some reason. I believe we didn't even offer him an ERFA deal until we had to. This year, we essentially offered him because he was all we had. I guess the draft changed that.

I think it is more likely to see Carlos Watkins line up at 1-T where he played quit a bit at Clemson

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a silly way of building a roster....so they were unsure if they could find someone of his caliber in the draft?

Hey they had full intentions of drafting a safety (according to Stephen Jones) and couldn't get one.

So I would not assume (you know what happens when you assume right?) they could find a replacement for Woods in the draft.

The Cowboys handled this scenario correctly.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think it is more likely to see Carlos Watkins line up at 1-T where he played quit a bit at Clemson

My understanding about Watkins is that he's not that good against the run and is a better fit at 3-tech.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So by that oversimplified standard they should all go.

Now THAT is lazy. About 2/3 of the defense should go and will go over the next two years. ONLY guys I expect to be on this defense by 2022 from last year is: Lawrence, Gregory, Gallimore, Hill, Diggs, Wilson. Maybe a couple other youngsters I cant think of. Maybe LVE if he gets his act together.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
A few thoughts...

Base is probably circa 40% of the defensive plays. Rotation doesn't make a lot of sense for a pure base position.

Quinn said base would look like a 3-4, which isn't the same as saying it would look like the old Parcells or Phillips defenses. I expect it will be a hybrid in and of itself. It might look like a 3-4 but feature personnel that are more compatible with a traditional 4-3. Nobody thought of the Legion of Doom defense as a 3-4, but it had room for a Bruce Irvin.

Woods didn't do much to help last year's run defense. I don't think he has the traits Quinn values.

People don't want to accept that the traditional fire plug/garbage can NT has been severely devalued in today's game. You need a NT/1-Tech who can collapse the pocket, disrupt passing lanes and offer at least something in pursuit.

Last edited:

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Hey they had full intentions of drafting a safety (according to Stephen Jones) and couldn't get one.

So I would not assume (you know what happens when you assume right?) they could find a replacement for Woods in the draft.

Dead on. Teams must cover themselves until the draft plays out and they know what they were able to cover and what they didn't have an opportunity to address.

tunahelper

Reaction score
That's a lot of faith put on Big Q. Woods was at least serviceable. No other NT option on the roster.

Agreed it is a lot of trust, however Woods was apart of the defensive struggles. The run defense did improve with his added PT, but it appears not enough for Quinn's liking. I do appreciate the guts for change. Put it on the line.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Because he's a JAG and you can always get one of those.
I covered that with the next sentence but all good.

Trust me I've been patiently awaiting upgrades on everyone named Woods.

I'm a happy fan today.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't buy that either. I think they probably knew they could. From listening to the draft call to Q, it sounds like they knew they were going to take Q.
Yeah I'm not buying it either. Maybe it was incompetence....I have no clue what it was but releasing Woods now makes zero sense.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think he meant for Gallimore to bulk up. I could see that becoming a possibility. He'll need to bulk up a bit more.

Why does Gallimore need to bulk up more when he's already at 305 lb?
to which I believe we dunno if it will be a one gap 3-man scheme (ala Wade Phillip style) ....or a 2 gap scheme (ala Baltimore, Steelers style)

not only that, but it's already been said by Quinn that the defense will run the nickel 60-70% of the time, so why not keep Gallimore in his current form or state without
having to sacrifice any key quickness ?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not buying it either. Maybe it was incompetence....I have no clue what it was but releasing Woods now makes zero sense.

Yeah, I guess maybe they were covering bases, but it's not like this draft was light at quality NT. Additionally, Quinn wants to run a 3-4 which he has run. Did Jerry honestly forget what a 3-4 means after Phillips? Woods doesn't fit the 3-4. I'm also surprised they kept Lewis. I don't think he fits Quinn's defence either.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

They had ZERO intentions on finding a safety. Each and every time they picked they had their shot of any position they wanted. They had plenty of picks. If they wanted a safety they could've drafted one.

I liked Woods probably more as a person than as a football player. Seems like a cool chill guy to hang out with. Releasing him now makes no sense even if I'm not a fan of him. He's the caliber of player that you should try and move away from and fill with a rookie. And they did that I just don't know what they were thinking a few weeks back when they re-signed him to begin with.