Cowboys with the 27th ranked DL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
His not much of anything, though, is more than any of our backups has done. He has 7.5 sacks, 7 passes defensed and an interception in four years. Armstrong has had 2.5 sacks and 2 PDs in three years. Because we didn't bring him in as a starter, I think he'll be a depth upgrade.

I think its safe to say that Basham is a downgrade from what we got out of Aldon Smith.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"27. DALLAS COWBOYS
Randy Gregory will have an opportunity to finally put it all together as the starting left edge defender in Dan Quinn’s new defense in Dallas. The first six years of his NFL career have featured up-and-down play and extended suspensions, but he was playing the best football of his career down the stretch of 2020, earning an 80.5 overall grade on his 270 defensive snaps. He still needs to show he can play up to that level as a starter over the course of an entire season.

While Dallas' edge group features some promise, the team needs several interior players to take big steps forward. The Cowboys allowed 2.3 rushing yards before contact per attempt in 2020 — a half yard more than any other defense in the NFL." (I bolded this part)

This is per PFF, so some will discount it, but I feel it's pretty spot-on.

The last sentence is telling. A massive embarrassment.

Based on last year? They’re being generous!

:laugh::facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"27. DALLAS COWBOYS
Randy Gregory will have an opportunity to finally put it all together as the starting left edge defender in Dan Quinn’s new defense in Dallas. The first six years of his NFL career have featured up-and-down play and extended suspensions, but he was playing the best football of his career down the stretch of 2020, earning an 80.5 overall grade on his 270 defensive snaps. He still needs to show he can play up to that level as a starter over the course of an entire season.

While Dallas' edge group features some promise, the team needs several interior players to take big steps forward. The Cowboys allowed 2.3 rushing yards before contact per attempt in 2020 — a half yard more than any other defense in the NFL." (I bolded this part)

This is per PFF, so some will discount it, but I feel it's pretty spot-on.

The last sentence is telling. A massive embarrassment.

Spot on for last season but given all the players brought in between FA and the draft as well as a new DC I don't expect the Cowboys to rank as they did last season.

quickccc

Reaction score
who arrives anew on the playing field, that changes the dynamics of the new run defense ?

Brent Urban ? ... Parson ?... Osa? ... Gholston ? .. Bohanna ? .... Watkins ? ..... Neal ? ...

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't need my permission to make a fool out of yourself. :thumbup:

f0457ec1-d655-4156-8424-9d9ea58163b9_text.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think its safe to say that Basham is a downgrade from what we got out of Aldon Smith.

Aldon was a starter, though, because we didn't know if Gregory would be reinstated or when. He played a lot more snaps than I think we'll see from Basham, who is primarily here to give Lawrence and Gregory breaks. I think he's quality depth over the type of rotational guys we usually throw out there ... and if one of the young draftees step up and prove to be better, they can push him down or off the roster.

It's funny. We signed Basham to a bigger contract than Smith got from Seattle. That would seem to indicate that some of the rumors about Smith's issues may be true. Jerry said after the season that he wanted to re-sign Smith, but then we just let him go when we could have had him for less than what we spent on his roster replacement.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Aldon was a starter, though, because we didn't know if Gregory would be reinstated or when. He played a lot more snaps than I think we'll see from Basham, who is primarily here to give Lawrence and Gregory breaks. I think he's quality depth over the type of rotational guys we usually throw out there ... and if one of the young draftees step up and prove to be better, they can push him down or off the roster.

It's funny. We signed Basham to a bigger contract than Smith got from Seattle. That would seem to indicate that some of the rumors about Smith's issues may be true. Jerry said after the season that he wanted to re-sign Smith, but then we just let him go when we could have had him for less than what we spent on his roster replacement.

Exactly. Aldon was a decent starter and Basham is a decent backup. Neither one moves the needle for me.

gimmesix

Reaction score
who arrives anew on the playing field, that changes the dynamics of the new run defense ?

Brent Urban ? ... Parson ?... Osa? ... Gholston ? .. Bohanna ? .... Watkins ? ..... Neal ? ...

:rolleyes:

Maybe all of them.

Urban is known for being a strong run defender. Same with Osa and Golston. Bohanna was the type of NT in college that gave the linebackers room to operate. Parsons was the the type of LB who showed he could make good use of that room. Neal has been a good run defender at safety.

Watkins' resume as a run defender seems the shakiest. He's more of a pass defender. The rest will have to prove it, but at least they signed players known for being good at it where they were.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Exactly. Aldon was a decent starter and Basham is a decent backup. Neither one moves the needle for me.

I don't think he's meant to be a move-the-needle player. We don't really sign those types in free agency because we don't want to spend the money needed to do it. These guys are hold-the-fort types, while the players who move the needle have to come from the draft.

Basham gives us decent depth, and that's what he's meant to do so we don't absolutely have to rely on players like Armstrong (who's done less) and Anae (who's done nothing so far). Ideally, he's the type of player better players knock off the roster, but who can hold down the spot until you find those better players in the draft. Golston, Armstrong, Anae, RonDell Carter will all be vying to take his snaps.

It's really the same with a player like Carlos Watkins. He did a little more in Houston than we've seen so far from Hill and Gallimore, and rookies like Odighizuwa and Faoliu will be looking to bump him down or off the roster. And frankly, we're better off if they do. If all the young players knock off the short-termers we brought in to receive snaps that should mean improvement (unless we miss badly on the cheap vets, like we did last year, and have to play young players even though they are not that good ... yet).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And if I remember correctly, Smith is in trouble yet again off the field. That’s a significant factor.

jnday

Reaction score
Per PFF based on 2020? That has nothing to do with the current defense. There has just been too large of a turnover for this team to be labeled by what they did a year ago.
Considering that the turnover included a bunch of mid-round rookies and a couple of jag vets added to the defense this year, it may be generous to compare them to the 2020 DL. Very few DL rookies have much of an impact even if they were some of the higher rated DL in the draft. It would be a surprise for any of the rookies to even be average starters this year. It will take 2-3 years for them to start reaching their full potential.