Cowboys WR fines at $1.5M and counting if he doesn't show for Rams game

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think teams are allowed to forgive them. Anyways, when he signs his deal the money will look like crumbs to him lol
If the player ran up the fine on a rookie contract, yes it can be forgiven.

Adreme

Reaction score
Anyone know the rules on fine forgiveness these days? I know in the past players would rack up all these fines only to have them forgiven once they show up, but I heard that’s changed in recent years and it’s not as easy to just make these fines go away. Anyone know what the truth is?
Because he is on his rookie deal they can forgive his fines. If he were not then they could not.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think teams are allowed to forgive them. Anyways, when he signs his deal the money will look like crumbs to him lol
I believe if you are still on your rookie contract they can be waived.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Seems crazy especially for a team dragging its feet.
Right because the player and the agent have nothing to do with the whole of it all them demanding more than maybe they deserve this is called negotiations it is not just on the Jones family....

blueblood70

Reaction score
If I were him I would show up. He doesn’t have to try hard just avoid the fines
it probably would lend him some good faith to do so as well I mean I think he's the only player holding out for a contract this year that didn't report to camp I could be wrong but I don't keep up with all 32 teams but it seems to me he's the only one I mean Prescott on a one year deal and he showed up...

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Good.

If Lamb is insisting on 35 mil as has been rumored, best case would be to let him sit out. Or trade him.

You cannot pay any single WR 7% of your salary cap. That sorta thing is what lead to the 3 consecutive 8-8 seasons. This game is about the trenches, pure and simple. If you're weak there, doesn't matter how many top WRs you have.
Then be prepared to lose games. He is your ace on offense the way Zeke was when he held out. The season is done without him so that's the risk the team has to weigh. They weren't willing to with Zeke.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Anyone know the rules on fine forgiveness these days? I know in the past players would rack up all these fines only to have them forgiven once they show up, but I heard that’s changed in recent years and it’s not as easy to just make these fines go away. Anyone know what the truth is?
Fine forgiveness or reduction is only allowed for players under rookie contracts with the current CBA (since 2020).

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Teams cant forgive the fines anymore. They changed it just for reasons ike this. Players sit out, sign a new deal and then it is expected, as to keep a good relationship with the player, that the team just forgive all those fines.

Now, TEAMS (Owners) voted to do it this was as to not allow a team to forgive. BUT, the players agent is well aware and the rumor is now that they try to get teams to include that fine amount in the new contract, once again making the fine a moot point.

teams should get really serious in the future and vote to essentially double the fine amounts from what they are. OR, make it if a player misses 5 days of camp, and not authorized by the team, they get a 2 game regular season suspension. Now that would really hurt that players pocketbook.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Just sign him already. Geez this has gotten stale. He's the one guy you're definitely going to sign.
what if hes demanding a no franchise tag and no trade clause in this contract.

Would you just say, sign him Jerry, no matter what he asks for??????

Screw that. You saying just sign him but you have no clue what is holding it up.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Good.

If Lamb is insisting on 35 mil as has been rumored, best case would be to let him sit out. Or trade him.

You cannot pay any single WR 7% of your salary cap. That sorta thing is what lead to the 3 consecutive 8-8 seasons. This game is about the trenches, pure and simple. If you're weak there, doesn't matter how many top WRs you have.
its all about the trenches????

Mr Mahomes is laughing about now.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
it probably would lend him some good faith to do so as well I mean I think he's the only player holding out for a contract this year that didn't report to camp I could be wrong but I don't keep up with all 32 teams but it seems to me he's the only one I mean Prescott on a one year deal and he showed up...
Starting LT for niners is holding out and getting fined.... but he isnt a Cowboy so nobody talks about that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Starting LT for niners is holding out and getting fined.... but he isnt a Cowboy so nobody talks about that.
Thanks for finding one we talking about Trent brown? So all 32 teams only two players are holding out that truly haven't showed up and reported to camp I still say it's not a good look he's gonna get paid we all know he doesn't even need to go practice right away just show up for good faith stop being fine come to some middle ground everyone blaming our front office is getting old bro seriously you don't think that the agent and the player have nothing to do with the hold up like their demands are above what the Cowboys can do right now literally wanting to set the market literally have said it out loud to be the highest paid player outside of the highest paid quarterback that in itself is why people think it's selfish literally you watch a guy like hill who is pretty damn good still he was just voted the number one player in the entire NFL and it's making 30 million over the next three years and I realize they're in different places in their career but 90 million guaranteed over three years if lamb is asking for 35 or even 34.5 you're trying to tell me a fan can't see this it's selfish? Tell Brandon iuke is saying he take like 32 but they're only offering him 30 there's a market trend now at receiver that after Justin Jefferson seemed to be going down not up... I don't hold it against the guy for holding out trying to make a point he's posturing and I get it but now I think it's time to try to move forward because you're gonna have to play $17 million he's under contract to play this year $1 million a game it's hard for me to sit here and have any empathy for the man when I know he's gonna get paid because of Jerry Jones family have overpaid or paid every superstar player that's deserved a contract and some that havent..

The fact is there's a problem with the asking price and that's the agent and the player I'm betting Jerry would give him 30 right now so if he's asking for 34 why not bring to the table 32 just try to work something out here and I don't blame the guy again for holding out but I think right now he's at a point where now he's getting fines that are way too steep the fact that he has to show up and play this year anyway or he's gonna lose his free agency status and he's gonna also lose $1,000,000 a game that all points to the fact that he's gonna show up soon so I'm not that worried about it...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Thanks for finding one we talking about Trent brown? So all 32 teams only two players are holding out that truly haven't showed up and reported to camp I still say it's not a good look he's gonna get paid we all know he doesn't even need to go practice right away just show up for good faith stop being fine come to some middle ground everyone blaming our front office is getting old bro seriously you don't think that the agent and the player have nothing to do with the hold up like their demands are above what the Cowboys can do right now literally wanting to set the market literally have said it out loud to be the highest paid player outside of the highest paid quarterback that in itself is why people think it's selfish literally you watch a guy like hill who is pretty damn good still he was just voted the number one player in the entire NFL and it's making 30 million over the next three years and I realize they're in different places in their career but 90 million guaranteed over three years if lamb is asking for 35 or even 34.5 you're trying to tell me a fan can't see this it's selfish? Tell Brandon iuke is saying he take like 32 but they're only offering him 30 there's a market trend now at receiver that after Justin Jefferson seemed to be going down not up... I don't hold it against the guy for holding out trying to make a point he's posturing and I get it but now I think it's time to try to move forward because you're gonna have to play $17 million he's under contract to play this year $1 million a game it's hard for me to sit here and have any empathy for the man when I know he's gonna get paid because of Jerry Jones family have overpaid or paid every superstar player that's deserved a contract and some that havent..

The fact is there's a problem with the asking price and that's the agent and the player I'm betting Jerry would give him 30 right now so if he's asking for 34 why not bring to the table 32 just try to work something out here and I don't blame the guy again for holding out but I think right now he's at a point where now he's getting fines that are way too steep the fact that he has to show up and play this year anyway or he's gonna lose his free agency status and he's gonna also lose $1,000,000 a game that all points to the fact that he's gonna show up soon so I'm not that worried about it...
If you are talking to me about blaming our front office, you clearly dont read my posts.

Ive been saying forever that all of this is on the player and agents thining that only record setting deals is what they will sign for.

Dak could be demanding a no trade clause and no franchise tag clause in his deal for all we know.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fine clarification as it pertains to all players, including rookies but in this case specifically rookies, per the NFL/NFLPA CBA (link):

ARTICLE 42, CLUB DISCIPLINE, Section 1. Maximum Discipline, (b) 2020-2021 League Years

(vi) Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player under contract except those signed as (1) an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 9; or (2) a Drafted or Undrafted Rookie pursuant to Article 7—mandatory fine of $50,000 per day. For the avoidance of doubt, any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club as provided in Section 5(b) of this Article. For purposes of this Subsection (vi) and Subsections (vii)-(ix) below, preseason training camp shall be defined as the period beginning with the mandatory reporting date for any player through the Sunday immediately preceding the first game of the NFL regular season.​
(viii) Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player under contract signed as a Drafted or Undrafted Rookie, pursuant to Article 7, except for a player in the fifth League Year of his Rookie Contract (the option year) after his Club has exercised the Fifth-Year Option pursuant to Article 7, Section 7— fine of $40,000 per day.​
(ix) Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player in the fifth League Year of his Rookie Contract (the option year) after his Club has exercised the Fifth-Year Option pursuant to Article 7, Section 7 shall subject the player to the discipline set forth in Article 7, Section 7(h).​

All of the above applies to CeeDee Lamb's fine situation unless the CBA states somewhere else that rookie fines can be forgiven--which I would be personally interested in reading. Fines are not forgiven according to the language of the CBA. Either the player pays their fines or their team deducts the amount of the fines.

CWR

Reaction score
what if hes demanding a no franchise tag and no trade clause in this contract.

Would you just say, sign him Jerry, no matter what he asks for??????

Screw that. You saying just sign him but you have no clue what is holding it up.
History tell me it's our lack of urgency that put us here, but keep carrying Jerry's water. He loves you.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Good.

This is why you start negotiations on time. Jerry should have known this before the draft and we could have traded him and replaced him with a deep WR class.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
History tell me it's our lack of urgency that put us here, but keep carrying Jerry's water. He loves you.
Im not carrying anything. Im not being a clown and acting like I know what is going on. You think you have it all figured out.... so keep walking around thinking you know whats going on.