Cowboys youth at interior Oline vs Commanders was impressive

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's no coincidence how after struggling all season long, the Cowboys running game finally performed very well (rushing for over 130 yards) against the Washington Commanders during Week 18 after the interior Oline went young with both starting Guards in TJ Bass and Brock Hoffman. Between Bass, Tyler Biadasz and Hoffman inside, the Cowboys interior Oline was much more aggressive, constantly firing out, pushing their opponent and winning the line of scrimmage battles.

Check out these 5 key run plays below...

I have said in recent years, the Cowboys Oline needs to get quicker, more aggressive and play with a mean streak. Have they found the answer in going younger inside? Should the Cowboys stick to their youth for the playoffs? What say you?

:popcorn:

Trendnet

Reaction score
It's no coincidence how after struggling all season long, the Cowboys running game finally performed very well (rushing for over 130 yards) against the Washington Commanders during Week 18 after the interior Oline went young with both starting Guards in TJ Bass and Brock Hoffman. Between Bass, Tyler Biadasz and Hoffman inside, the Cowboys interior Oline was much more aggressive, constantly firing out, pushing their opponent and winning the line of scrimmage battles.

I have said in recent years, the Cowboys Oline needs to get quicker, more aggressive and play with a mean streak. Have they found the answer in going younger inside? Should the Cowboys stick to their youth for the playoffs? What say you?

Are you trying to argue that Tyler Smith is old?

rambo2

Reaction score

I think that they can go with best player available with their 1st pick regardless of position. Some on here have said that they have to go oline.

Gambit

Reaction score
Against bums
Why the need to tarnish the accomplishment?

They were NFL players they went against in a division game on the road. They performed well.

They have zero control over whom is on the other side of them. They were asked to do a job, they did it well, better than expected.

Why can't that just be the narrative?

starfan1

Reaction score
I think that they can go with best player available with their 1st pick regardless of position. Some on here have said that they have to go oline.
I would say BPA at areas of need is always a way to go. Oline to me is till a position of need as is LB and RB. If a CeeDee lamb falls in your lap even if it isnt a need its hard to pass up a pick of that nature.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Why the need to tarnish the accomplishment?

They were NFL players they went against in a division game on the road. They performed well.

They have zero control over whom is on the other side of them. They were asked to do a job, they did it well, better than expected.

Why can't that just be the narrative?
So if a varsity player, plays the JV team and dominates, he should get a cookie?

Gambit

Reaction score
So if a varsity player, plays the JV team and dominates, he should get a cookie?
False Equivalency error. And deflection.

To be more analogous:

A JV player is promoted to varsity to face another JV player promoted to varsity and plays well. Should he deserved to be diminished?

You're trying to compare 1 "better" player to an entire "lesser" team of 11 guys. It's not the same at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bass is actually older than Tyler Smith, so it's not just about youth.

Nevertheless, I am very pleased with how Bass and Hoffman played, but we do have to be realistic about the fact the Commanders had one of the worst run defenses all year, and they traded 2 of their defensive linemen before the trade deadline.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here is a much lengthier tape breakdown on the Cowboys/Commanders game. Good analysis of this younger Oline's performance both in the run and pass...

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Facing beasts like John Ridgeway DT OMG how did they manage to dominate this most formidable defense line!!!!! :muttley:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bass is actually older than Tyler Smith, so it's not just about youth.

Nevertheless, I am very pleased with how Bass and Hoffman played, but we do have to be realistic about the fact the Commanders had one of the worst run defenses all year, and they traded 2 of their defensive linemen before the trade deadline.
Both TJ Bass and Brock Hoffman are 24 years old. Yes, as you stated, Tyler Smith is younger at age 22. Tyler Biadasz is 26 years old.

The point is they are all much younger than the much older vets. They are also much more quicker, more aggressive and much agile. That makes a big difference on the playing field, especially in the trenches. We saw the results. Much better running and pass blocking performance.

Would you prefer to go back to a much older but slower Oline...or a much younger, much quicker and more aggressive Oline?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Facing beasts like John Ridgeway DT OMG how did they manage to dominate this most formidable defense line!!!!! :muttley:
Hey, domination is domination, unlike your All Pro Eagirls Oline. How did they perform? ALL PRO!!!???!!!???

:muttley:

plymkr

Reaction score
I think with the play of Bass and Hoffman we are in a good place on the offensive line. I agree I think BPA in the draft is the way to go. Hopefully BPA is a defensive lineman but we’ll see what’s there. Going into the season I was pretty disappointed we didn’t draft an offensive lineman. Now with Bass and Hoffman I’m feeling good about the youth at the offensive line.