Cowherd: Garrett is to blame for Saints loss

Praxit

Reaction score
..What would help Garrett as always said, is being more aggressive. Take more chances. Whats that saying, "Fortune favors the bold".

CapnB

Reaction score
Hilarious to think the teams' performance was on JG. Well, i guess all 3 of those blow out wins were because of him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Grab your pitchforks Lynch Mob. Lol
42774_medium-retina.jpg

wecasa

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but the coaching was not the main reason we lost. Parcells said if you turn the ball over, you will lose the game. Aaron Rodgers threw the ball well last week but lost because he lost the turnover battle. It's that simple.
Amen. The two fumbles were killers. Lets not forget the defenses inability to get off the field in the second half didn't help either. That 9+ min drive after the touch down was a back breaker IMO. Lead to another FG and lead change.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Jason is not a very good football coach and won't be back IMO unless we win the NFC champ game. He was the perfect interim coach (8 years) while we changed how we operated and fixed the cap, took a very long time. He may have had higher hopes in the beginning but at some point Jerry said why change now when we're not competitive with the cap and talent on the team..so Jason stayed.

We need a real coach now, Jerry knows it

JMech

Reaction score
I’d ask anyone to answer this.

I’ve said it many times. He doesn’t appear to “coach” or really talk to anyone during the game. They answer that he manages and does other things.

I’d argue we need more to get over the hump. As Colin says how does he make a difference?

Is he a hindrance? Dunno

Is he a plus? I’m pretty sure he’s not. He just doesn’t know x’s and o’s like better coaches do.

Just watch Belichek on the sidelines or Payton. Active and involved. The differences are glaring.

The more I reflect on the game, the more I believe he influenced the game plan very strongly...........I won this last year, I have the solution. Here is the plan, follow it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but the coaching was not the main reason we lost. Parcells said if you turn the ball over, you will lose the game. Aaron Rodgers threw the ball well last week but lost because he lost the turnover battle. It's that simple.

Yeah the problem with this line of thinking is that you can get stuck playing old man football and blaming the team for not playing a perfect game as to why we lost.

It's real easy to say we shouldn't have fumbled yady yada.

With the game plan we had there was no room for error. We played a team that couldn't score and our gameplan also hindered our ability to score as well so those fumbles were magnified.

We needed 2 touchdowns to win but we ran ourselves into a loss in a game we should've been aggressive in.

You're not wrong about the turnover but I just hate the play not to lose mentality and when we make a couple of mistakes we take an L.

Every coach ever can point to mistakes like this after a Loss and not put blame on themselves for their gameplan.

Last edited:

JMech

Reaction score
Players didn't execute either.

The best line, or a top 3 line, didn't win the battle at the LOS.

Now, I think the playcalling could of been better too, but it's not like the team was playing lights out and Garrett iced his own kicker again or used the timeouts prematurely.

I'm all for a new staff, but I mean I can't squarely blame this on Garrett.

He is the head coach. Any HC with any testicles accepts the blame because HE IS responsible.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Just watch Belichek on the sidelines or Payton. Active and involved. The differences are glaring.

The more I reflect on the game, the more I believe he influenced the game plan very strongly...........I won this last year, I have the solution. Here is the plan, follow it.
It seems obvious. Night and day from games
1-3

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jason is not a very good football coach and won't be back IMO unless we win the NFC champ game. He was the perfect interim coach (8 years) while we changed how we operated and fixed the cap, took a very long time. He may have had higher hopes in the beginning but at some point Jerry said why change now when we're not competitive with the cap and talent on the team..so Jason stayed.

We need a real coach now, Jerry knows it

They just need to not let him have any input on game strategy and they'll be fine.

He's a good organizer and get's the teams mind right Monday - Saturday but he needs to just shut up and clap on Sundays.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Players didn't execute either.

The best line, or a top 3 line, didn't win the battle at the LOS.

Now, I think the playcalling could of been better too, but it's not like the team was playing lights out and Garrett iced his own kicker again or used the timeouts prematurely.

I'm all for a new staff, but I mean I can't squarely blame this on Garrett.
We’ve had 9 years of players that “failed to execute”

At some point it’s on Garrett.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Garrett has had 2 different QBs who have looked promising. Different assist coaches. Teams that have been stacked with talented players. And yet there is always the same results of failing to get to the NFC Championship game. Some blamed Moore for the loss and it could very well be that he just didn't call the right plays to adjust to what the Saints were doing.

But, after nearly 10 years Garrett can't escape blame for any big loss that the Cowboys have against good teams and elite coaches. Because he has been given the tools to have success and keeps wasting the talented rosters he has been given.

gmb1

Reaction score
Amen. The two fumbles were killers. Lets not forget the defenses inability to get off the field in the second half didn't help either. That 9+ min drive after the touch down was a back breaker IMO. Lead to another FG and lead change.
That's usually how better football teams lose.

Who knows how it could've been different if one of those fumbles didn't occur. Maybe we score again? Maybe possess the football for 5-7 more minutes to help our defense a little.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for reading this site Colin!
:thumbup:

This isn't anything that many of us haven't been saying for years now.

But again, I'm not simply pinning this loss on Garrett, he didn't contribute anything to the 3 wins either. At this point, he simply watches the games like the rest of us.