CFZ Crazy recent history: a lack of back to back success

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s been 15 years since the Cowboys had back to back playoff seasons. That last happened in 2006-07. Even more amazingly, it’s been 26 years since the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons, which last occurred in 1994-95.

If we want to be taken serious as an organization and earn some of that respect many fans crave, this organization must reverse this trend of not repeating a successful season with another.

Let’s look at this trend and how the Cowboys performed following a playoff season:
  • 2008 season- following their very successful 13-3 2007 season, the Cowboys were expected to be SB contenders. In 2008, we won our first 3 games, only to win 6 of their last 13, finishing 9-7 and missed the playoffs.
  • 2010 season- after an 11-5 season in 2009, a season where Tony Romo won his first of two playoff games in his career, 2010 was another year with high hopes. Romo was injured early in the 2010 and missed most of the season. Wade Phillips was fired at mid season and Jason Garrett hired. The Cowboys finished 6-10.
  • 2015 season- following a successful 2014 season, where the Cowboys went 12-4, won a playoff game and were close to defeating GB in the divisional round, the ‘Boys went 4-12 in 2015. It’s was another injury season for Romo, one that proved to be his last stand as a starter.
  • 2017 season- following an exciting 2016 season where the draft produced new stars Zeke and Dak and a 13-3 season where the team won a team record 11 games in a row and earned the #1 seed…the Cowboys had a disappointing 9-7 clunker. Failed to make the playoffs,
  • 2019 season- In 2018, the Cowboys had made a mid season surge after the Amari Cooper trade to win the East and also won Dak’s first playoff game vs the Seahawks. Followed by another non-playoff clunker in 2019. The ‘Boys were fast out of the gate in 2019, winning their first 3 games, only to lose 7 of 13 afterward.
So following a 12-5 NFCE winning season in 2021…this team must reverse its 15 yr trend of not being able to make the playoffs in back to back seasons.

Will they break this cycle? It’s one of the top questions going into 2022.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Oh yeah, a lot of us have known about it for a while.

If McCarthy doesn't win at least two playoff games in 2022 he's out.

We simply don't build teams for the playoffs and it blows my mind. It looks like this draft was geared towards selecting players with more of a winning / aggressive attitude. The toxic complacency culture that has carried over from players like Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware is obviously still here. Romo also shares the blame.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s been 15 years since the Cowboys had back to back playoff seasons. That last happened in 2006-07. Even more amazingly, it’s been 26 years since the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons, which last occurred in 1994-95.

If we want to be taken serious as an organization and earn some of that respect many fans crave, this organization must reverse this trend of not repeating a successful season with another.

Let’s look at this trend and how the Cowboys performed following a playoff season:
  • 2008 season- following their very successful 13-3 2007 season, the Cowboys were expected to be SB contenders. In 2008, we won our first 3 games, only to win 6 of their last 13, finishing 9-7 and missed the playoffs.
  • 2010 season- after an 11-5 season in 2009, a season where Tony Romo won his first of two playoff games in his career, 2010 was another year with high hopes. Romo was injured early in the 2010 and missed most of the season. Wade Phillips was fired at mid season and Jason Garrett hired. The Cowboys finished 6-10.
  • 2015 season- following a successful 2014 season, where the Cowboys went 12-4, won a playoff game and were close to defeating GB in the divisional round, the ‘Boys went 4-12 in 2015. It’s was another injury season for Romo, one that proved to be his last stand as a starter.
  • 2017 season- following an exciting 2016 season where the draft produced new stars Zeke and Dak and a 13-3 season where the team won a team record 11 games in a row and earned the #1 seed…the Cowboys had a disappointing 9-7 clunker. Failed to make the playoffs,
  • 2019 season- In 2018, the Cowboys had made a mid season surge after the Amari Cooper trade to win the East and also won Dak’s first playoff game vs the Seahawks. Followed by another non-playoff clunker in 2019. The ‘Boys were fast out of the gate in 2019, winning their first 3 games, only to lose 7 of 13 afterward.
So following a 12-5 NFCE winning season in 2021…this team must reverse its 15 yr trend of not being able to make the playoffs in back to back seasons.

We all know this....post some positive stuff, once in a while...it'll keep us from arguing and hating on our favorite team. Just my opinion

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Add to this the division record of no back-to-back winners since 2004. That's pretty amazing. 17 years and possibly still counting.

And this is why we've all missed those "windows" we talk about in the future. In 1991, we could see it coming but since then I've been wrong more than a husband.

I know I have written "not this year but next year' so many times I sound like a man borrowing money. I don't even bother to predict the upcoming season anymore.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know this....post some positive stuff, once in a while...it'll keep us from arguing and hating on our favorite team. Just my opinion
You can argue against the facts of that record and if we're arguing, not all of us are hating on them.

Coach, being positive about this franchise is more choice built on desire than the facts because there is no denying the past couple of decades.

I know you tire of the negativity as a lot of other members do but when they lost that playoff game the way they did, what did you expect here? The way they lost that game, basically with the Niners saying "we're coming to kick your butts, take your lunch money and break the hearts of your fans" did you expect members just to let that go?

Add to this the pretty stagnant free agency and the usual BS coming out of the Joneses' mouths and you get some pretty negative fans and instead of adopting a positive attitude, they choose a "prove it" one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Two big factors in why we’ve never repeated this era winning division.

1. 1st place schedule -
we’ve haven’t won division in 21st Century with a 1st place schedule . This in itself is worthy of a thread discussing.

2. injuries - specifically to our QB and or key positions.

2008- Romo missed time
2010- Romo missed most of season
2015- Romo missed most of season
2017- Elliott suspended half of season
2019- injuries to key OL

Besides having a 1st place schedule this season any key injuries to our OL , RB and QB for any extended time spells certain struggle and possibly missing playoffs. And that’s without any of our divisional rivals who have upgraded more than we have in offseason. And why we must remember it’s not just about what we are doing or have done but what our Div foes and competition have done .

Our schedule is rated one of the easiest even with Div winners Cinn, GB, TB, LA, and Tenn on our schedule cause we are facing AFC South and NFC North along with our division. But if any of those teams like JAx, Hou, Det, Minn or Chic are vastly improved then our schedule could become much tougher . And that doesn’t even take into account if Wash, NY or Philly are vastly improved .

My hunch is we will need to avoid any key injuries and the bottom dwellers on our schedule will need to continue as such for us to win 10+ Games to win Div or make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can argue against the facts of that record and if we're arguing, not all of us are hating on them.

Coach, being positive about this franchise is more choice built on desire than the facts because there is no denying the past couple of decades.

I know you tire of the negativity as a lot of other members do but when they lost that playoff game the way they did, what did you expect here? The way they lost that game, basically with the Niners saying "we're coming to kick your butts, take your lunch money and break the hearts of your fans" did you expect members just to let that go?

Add to this the pretty stagnant free agency and the usual BS coming out of the Joneses' mouths and you get some pretty negative fans and instead of adopting a positive attitude, they choose a "prove it" one.
Some fans simply see any criticism as hating. Not sure why any Cowboys fan with our history this era would be overly positive?

Now if you just want to be a cheerleader then that’s fine but you really should stay out of the analysis and discussions because you’re not going to like many of the facts . Are there some positive to pull from it, sure. But that’s not the over riding vibe. Sorry…

blueblood70

Reaction score

given many different players and coaches i hardly call it a trend, it may seem like it but you cant account for new rosters and coaching over that period and this is happening. trends like records are meant to be broken

so yes i expect a good season, given all the expectations of being bad, that's also a trend.. this off season and the way the season ended many fans, media, and other sources claim we are about to fall on our faces which is very different then those other years.

So trend buster is about to go down, book it..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
given many different players and coaches i hardly call it a trend, it may seem like it but you cant account for new rosters and coaching over that period and this is happening. trends like records are meant to be broken

so yes i expect a good season, given all the expectations of being bad, that's also a trend.. this off season and the way the season ended many fans, media, and other sources claim we are about to fall on our faces which is very different then those other years.

And if your instincts are off what factors would you expect to prove your hunch wrong?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Oh yeah, a lot of us have known about it for a while.

If McCarthy doesn't win at least two playoff games in 2022 he's out.

We simply don't build teams for the playoffs and it blows my mind. It looks like this draft was geared towards selecting players with more of a winning / aggressive attitude. The toxic complacency culture that has carried over from players like Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware is obviously still here. Romo also shares the blame.
right so MM and this new staff and many new players are other hook for a trend going back 15+ years? lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some fans simply see any criticism as hating. Not sure why any Cowboys fan with our history this era would be overly positive?

Now if you just want to be a cheerleader then that’s fine but you really should stay out of the analysis and discussions because you’re not going to like many of the facts . Are there some positive to pull from it, sure. But that’s not the over riding vibe. Sorry…
And the thing is, I wrote this thread with the idea of hope…hoping we buck the trend of history. Hope is positive. Facts are stubborn things. And in the case of this organization, in order to take the next step from occasional half-contender to real contender, this trend needs to end. I certainly hope it will. That’s positive.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What is the only thing common among those trends?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I actually did a similar research a couple of years ago but for a different reason. So much was made about Jerry sticking with Garrett too long. So looked back at his record to review the best chance Jerry had to fire him. To my surprise, no one season stood out coz honestly, he never had a back-to-back losing season. But back to your point, for whatever reason, we have NOT been able to sustain TWO good seasons in a role. To me, that falls in the lap of one person........Stephen Jones. He followed up every good/excellent season with poor offseasons ( draft, refusing to sign key free agents or bring in quality replacements)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett