CFZ Crazy recent history: a lack of back to back success

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why has no one else done it in the east going back that far?? do the jones family ruin those teams as well??

i mean all those teams seem to have the FO blueprint from owner down constantly firing gms and coaches and making all the FAS moves this place covets.

and yet they have not gone B2b in about the same time period, correct.

explain.
Divisional competition. Wonder what the rest of the divisions are like.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I dont see any negatism on Bob's remarks. Stating the facts. THey are harsh for us fans, nonetheless valid statements.

On HOMER side of things, yes I feel we can promote back to back playoffs. We have the player personal, just cant play stupid when it counts. EX: 14 penalties SF game. ;)..

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
io would give you a lifetime ban from this place if i was a mod for that statement alone. friggin eagles' fans in here..first its wentz man crush and now this..
Lol u right bout the wentz crush. He is right tho about the talent the eagles have. Overall they are a more talented team jalen hurts is the x factor and what is holding them back

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I mentioned our inconsistent coaching the past 15 years that’s seen four different head coaches but we’ve also been a product of our division. Although we’ve had a couple of teams the Giants and Eagles win Super Bowls over that period the NFC East has been down. When the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls in the 90s they had obviously great coaching and they were being pushed by teams in their division. We’ve had a rough off-season that’s brought us back to the pack and you can bet we’ll be pushed this season.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are miserable because we have the success of the lions and browns over the last 26 years
Then you shouldn't be here....,why put yourself through it? Is it worth it? If you can't enjoy and understand the game, why suffer.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is funny....my take will piss some off, but I don't get the constant negatives......why put yourself through it.....the game should be fun. If being miserable is fun, then go for it.....but, why bring the rest of us down?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Then you shouldn't be here....,why put yourself through it? Is it worth it? If you can't enjoy and understand the game, why suffer.....

No offense but maybe it's you who shouldn't be here?

Not that I want you to leave but this place is what it is, and is what it was since before you came along. You aren't going to change that, especially by whining about it all the time.

There really only seems to be one realistic solution to your troubles, at least as far as I can see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is funny....my take will piss some off, but I don't get the constant negatives......why put yourself through it.....the game should be fun. If being miserable is fun, then go for it.....but, why bring the rest of us down?
Being apathetic and critical is fun. It’s how you deal with a frustrating or losing situation.

Many fans root for and follow losing programs whether it’s your home team or Alma Mater. What’s not to get?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You just have to figure out a way to let it go. None of this matters.

Don't go away, but if you do, don't go away mad.
Right , there’s room for all types of fans.

To me the Cowboys in their current state this era under this dysfunctional ownership is like a family member who has made some poor decisions I’m critical of and look forward to them turning the corner .

In the meantime I’ll let them know how I feel while still supporting their eventual success.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s been 15 years since the Cowboys had back to back playoff seasons. That last happened in 2006-07. Even more amazingly, it’s been 26 years since the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons, which last occurred in 1994-95.

If we want to be taken serious as an organization and earn some of that respect many fans crave, this organization must reverse this trend of not repeating a successful season with another.

Let’s look at this trend and how the Cowboys performed following a playoff season:
  • 2008 season- following their very successful 13-3 2007 season, the Cowboys were expected to be SB contenders. In 2008, we won our first 3 games, only to win 6 of their last 13, finishing 9-7 and missed the playoffs.
  • 2010 season- after an 11-5 season in 2009, a season where Tony Romo won his first of two playoff games in his career, 2010 was another year with high hopes. Romo was injured early in the 2010 and missed most of the season. Wade Phillips was fired at mid season and Jason Garrett hired. The Cowboys finished 6-10.
  • 2015 season- following a successful 2014 season, where the Cowboys went 12-4, won a playoff game and were close to defeating GB in the divisional round, the ‘Boys went 4-12 in 2015. It’s was another injury season for Romo, one that proved to be his last stand as a starter.
  • 2017 season- following an exciting 2016 season where the draft produced new stars Zeke and Dak and a 13-3 season where the team won a team record 11 games in a row and earned the #1 seed…the Cowboys had a disappointing 9-7 clunker. Failed to make the playoffs,
  • 2019 season- In 2018, the Cowboys had made a mid season surge after the Amari Cooper trade to win the East and also won Dak’s first playoff game vs the Seahawks. Followed by another non-playoff clunker in 2019. The ‘Boys were fast out of the gate in 2019, winning their first 3 games, only to lose 7 of 13 afterward.
So following a 12-5 NFCE winning season in 2021…this team must reverse its 15 yr trend of not being able to make the playoffs in back to back seasons.

Will they break this cycle? It’s one of the top questions going into 2022.

Its all injury related for the most part to our QB's. Just goes to show that not only are our QB's so good that without them missing time, its sucks, but the team around the QB simply isnt good enough to do anything without them or with any significant injuries. Coaching not good enough as well.

And in one of those years, Zeke got suspended for 6 games and that is what made us miss the playoffs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Two big factors in why we’ve never repeated this era winning division.

1. 1st place schedule -
we’ve haven’t won division in 21st Century with a 1st place schedule . This in itself is worthy of a thread discussing.

2. injuries - specifically to our QB and or key positions.

2008- Romo missed time
2010- Romo missed most of season
2015- Romo missed most of season
2017- Elliott suspended half of season
2019- injuries to key OL

Besides having a 1st place schedule this season any key injuries to our OL , RB and QB for any extended time spells certain struggle and possibly missing playoffs. And that’s without any of our divisional rivals who have upgraded more than we have in offseason. And why we must remember it’s not just about what we are doing or have done but what our Div foes and competition have done .

Our schedule is rated one of the easiest even with Div winners Cinn, GB, TB, LA, and Tenn on our schedule cause we are facing AFC South and NFC North along with our division. But if any of those teams like JAx, Hou, Det, Minn or Chic are vastly improved then our schedule could become much tougher . And that doesn’t even take into account if Wash, NY or Philly are vastly improved .

My hunch is we will need to avoid any key injuries and the bottom dwellers on our schedule will need to continue as such for us to win 10+ Games to win Div or make the playoffs.

Great point with the schedule. Going to a first place schedule cost us a game or two.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No offense but maybe it's you who shouldn't be here?

Not that I want you to leave but this place is what it is, and is what it was since before you came along. You aren't going to change that, especially by whining about it all the time.

There really only seems to be one realistic solution to your troubles, at least as far as I can see.

Nothing more pathetic then spreading lies and falsehoods about a QB that is clearly one of the best in the NFL and we are lucky to find in the 4th round. Its pretty much your only MO on here.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s been 15 years since the Cowboys had back to back playoff seasons. That last happened in 2006-07. Even more amazingly, it’s been 26 years since the Cowboys won the NFC East in back to back seasons, which last occurred in 1994-95.

If we want to be taken serious as an organization and earn some of that respect many fans crave, this organization must reverse this trend of not repeating a successful season with another.

Let’s look at this trend and how the Cowboys performed following a playoff season:
  • 2008 season- following their very successful 13-3 2007 season, the Cowboys were expected to be SB contenders. In 2008, we won our first 3 games, only to win 6 of their last 13, finishing 9-7 and missed the playoffs.
  • 2010 season- after an 11-5 season in 2009, a season where Tony Romo won his first of two playoff games in his career, 2010 was another year with high hopes. Romo was injured early in the 2010 and missed most of the season. Wade Phillips was fired at mid season and Jason Garrett hired. The Cowboys finished 6-10.
  • 2015 season- following a successful 2014 season, where the Cowboys went 12-4, won a playoff game and were close to defeating GB in the divisional round, the ‘Boys went 4-12 in 2015. It’s was another injury season for Romo, one that proved to be his last stand as a starter.
  • 2017 season- following an exciting 2016 season where the draft produced new stars Zeke and Dak and a 13-3 season where the team won a team record 11 games in a row and earned the #1 seed…the Cowboys had a disappointing 9-7 clunker. Failed to make the playoffs,
  • 2019 season- In 2018, the Cowboys had made a mid season surge after the Amari Cooper trade to win the East and also won Dak’s first playoff game vs the Seahawks. Followed by another non-playoff clunker in 2019. The ‘Boys were fast out of the gate in 2019, winning their first 3 games, only to lose 7 of 13 afterward.
So following a 12-5 NFCE winning season in 2021…this team must reverse its 15 yr trend of not being able to make the playoffs in back to back seasons.

Will they break this cycle? It’s one of the top questions going into 2022.
Easy answer as to why: Absolutely terrible player evaluation.

Think of these monstrous snafus:

1. Thinking any RB was fine behind our OL.
2. Allen Hurns as our #1 WR. Allen frickin' Hurns. Anyone who disagrees w/ the player evaluation thingie, put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
3. Thinking Crawford was a top DL worthy of a huge contract.
4. Thinking Coasta was fine at OC.
5. Not understanding the role of S's and DT's.
6. Wasting 2nd round picks, especially on injuries and druggies and attitude issues.
Need any more?