CFZ Creatively thinking about the Cowboys Offensive Line

Buzzbait

Reaction score
That's your shortcoming, not anyone else's. Get on board or be left behind.
:rolleyes: Not a shortcoming Joe, just an honest opinion, right or wrong. If he takes over LT and fares well, great! I just don't think he's ready for that yet, but we'll see.
Meantime, I'm all for him bolstering our running game from that LG position. I think he'll be a beast at LG if they leave him there.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IN 2019 shortly after Martin was transferred without preparation to T, he went out for the season with a calf strain.

He'd be switching again abruptly to full speed play at T. Different position, different requirements on the body, and now that body is 2 years older in his 30s.

No.

Tyler has been playing LT the last 2 years, and will be playing LT with us eventually. He's probably still more comfortable at LT. Just let him play LT.
Yeah Martin is turning 32 in a couple months and that's putting a whole different strain on his body he may not be prepared for
Maybe we could start by replacing the offensive line coach

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Not a shortcoming Joe, just an honest opinion, right or wrong. If he takes over LT and fares well, great! I just don't think he's ready for that yet, but we'll see.
Meantime, I'm all for him bolstering our running game from that LG position. I think he'll be a beast at LG if they leave him there.
Your inability to comprehend a concept that will be happening is most certainly a shortcoming by you whether you are being honest about it or not. You can either continue to be stubborn about it and apologize later or you can accept reality now and enjoy the season. This isn't going to be the fiasco that you seem to think it will be.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
LT - Terrence Steele: Steele filled in for Tyron Smith last year when Smith was out, so the Cowboys already know Steele can be an adequate replacement. Moving him back to LT wasn’t the plan, but it beats putting a rookie or Josh Ball at LT.

LG - Tyler Smith: Smith has spent the entire off-season working at LG, and he shows a lot of power there, especially in the run game. Instead of setting him up to fail in a baptism of fire at LT, let Steele take that role, and allow Smith to develop into a dominant LG

C - Tyler Biadasz: While the Cowboys would like an upgrade from Biadasz at center, he’s been a starter from Day 1 of his career in the NFL.

RG - Connor McGovern: by all accounts, McGovern is better at RG than he is on the left side. He’s never going to beat out Martin, but it may be better for the Cowboys to start McGovern on the right side.

RT - Zack Martin: All-Pro Guard Larry Allen spent a couple of years playing tackle for the Cowboys in the 90’s when they didn’t have a good solution at tackle, and he made the Pro-Bowl as a tackle. If anyone on the Cowboys roster has the ability to flex into a new position, and continue to dominate, it is Martin.

Backup players. This leaves Josh Ball and Matt Waleska as you back up Tackles. Let them battle all season for the Swing Tackle job. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will need to add veteran interior depth for the Oline, while keeping Farniak as the game day backup at both guard and center.

Tyler Smith LT
Issac Alarcon LG

DuncanIso

Reaction score
LT - Terrence Steele: Steele filled in for Tyron Smith last year when Smith was out, so the Cowboys already know Steele can be an adequate replacement. Moving him back to LT wasn’t the plan, but it beats putting a rookie or Josh Ball at LT.

LG - Tyler Smith: Smith has spent the entire off-season working at LG, and he shows a lot of power there, especially in the run game. Instead of setting him up to fail in a baptism of fire at LT, let Steele take that role, and allow Smith to develop into a dominant LG

C - Tyler Biadasz: While the Cowboys would like an upgrade from Biadasz at center, he’s been a starter from Day 1 of his career in the NFL.

RG - Connor McGovern: by all accounts, McGovern is better at RG than he is on the left side. He’s never going to beat out Martin, but it may be better for the Cowboys to start McGovern on the right side.

RT - Zack Martin: All-Pro Guard Larry Allen spent a couple of years playing tackle for the Cowboys in the 90’s when they didn’t have a good solution at tackle, and he made the Pro-Bowl as a tackle. If anyone on the Cowboys roster has the ability to flex into a new position, and continue to dominate, it is Martin.

Backup players. This leaves Josh Ball and Matt Waleska as you back up Tackles. Let them battle all season for the Swing Tackle job. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will need to add veteran interior depth for the Oline, while keeping Farniak as the game day backup at both guard and center.

This is too disruptive…

Tyron is replaced by TS.

McGov is LG.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Sorry couldn't read any further than..."LT - Terrence Steele", the book (and tape) is closed on that one... 2020 and 2021 proved he's a passable RT (with Zack his Guard) but when he moves to LT he's not up to the job (Bronco's and Chiefs in 2021 showed up the weakness).

Look for a trade or Eric Fisher....the solution in 2022 is not presently on the roster.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I know everybody is just spit ballin but there is no rationality to this at all. Let everyone play their natural position and insert whoever at LT.

That way they can use the TE's and Zeke to help out the one weak spot LT. The other way, well, is the other way.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
How creative does this need to be? Let's not overthink this. It can be as simple as sliding Tyler Smith over to LT and letting Connor McG keep his job at LG. Done!
Tyler Smith is not ready to be a NFL LT, heck he's not ready to be a NFL LG. Ball,Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele will be your OL.

John813

Reaction score
I don't know why Martin is against moving positions unless forced during a game to do so.
His legacy is set, he got his retirement contract and is paid well. Maybe it's something else, but the dude has the talent to play any position and be good at it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Seems easier to just sign a LT and keep everyone else as they are
Exactly especially considering we needed to sign a swing tackle anyway bite the bullet spend the money get a reliable player that can anchor this extremely important position.

And just to suggestion somebody who has started a couple seasons at this position in the NFL would be advisable

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tyler Smith is not ready to be a NFL LT, heck he's not ready to be a NFL LG.
Thanks for the vote of confidence for your team's #1 draft pick. You must be a blast at parties! :rolleyes:

Hey, captain obvious, starting Tyler Smith at LT this early in the season was never the plan until it was. He is obviously green at the job but sometimes you have to do things out of necessity. It's what will happen so we wait and see what happens. If it turns out bad we'll do something else. My statement about Tyler being our starting LT wasn't a commentary on how confident I am at him being ready for the job. I was just saying it's what will happen. You aren't spreading any words of wisdom to anyone with your reply. We all know Tyler is green at the position, but he will be given a chance in a real game to do the job. Don't blame me for that happening. ;)

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence for your team's #1 draft pick. You must be a blast at parties! :rolleyes:

Hey, captain obvious, starting Tyler Smith at LT this early in the season was never the plan until it was. He is obviously green at the job but sometimes you have to do things out of necessity. It's what will happen so we wait and see what happens. If it turns out bad we'll do something else. My statement about Tyler being our starting LT wasn't a commentary on how confident I am at him being ready for the job. I was just saying it's what will happen. You aren't spreading any words of wisdom to anyone with your reply. We all know Tyler is green at the position, but he will be given a chance in a real game to do the job. Don't blame me for that happening. ;)
Don't you think that if Tyler Smith was going to be the LT vs TB, he would have gotten at least the first half snaps there? Ball played 70% of the snaps.. That sent a clear message to me. Tyler Smith was a LT in college because he was the best lineman they had.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Don't you think that if Tyler Smith was going to be the LT vs TB, he would have gotten at least the first half snaps there? Ball played 70% of the snaps.. That sent a clear message to me. Tyler Smith was a LT in college because he was the best lineman they had.
No, because at the time they had a healthy Tyron Smith. The snaps Ball got were about having him earn the swing tackle position. Tyler Smith was being groomed to eventually be the LT. I say eventually because it was two years down the line. Meanwhile, the plan was for him to work next to Tyron, get experience in games and build his body. Tyron's injury has just advanced the timeline is all.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Teams play non all world LT's all the time and it does not mean they lose every game...Tyler Smith, Terrance Steele or whoever they put there needs to be helped out by the scheme. Again if they leave whoever plays there on his own to fail thats a HUGE failure on this coaching staff...

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

That's not creative. They've played Martin at RT and Steele at LT before. In fact that's the line up they had when Tyron was out previously. Tyler is just replacing Conner.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

No, but Martin at LT and keep him there next to Tyler. Now you have one strong run blocking side of the line to run behind.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Teams play non all world LT's all the time and it does not mean they lose every game...Tyler Smith, Terrance Steele or whoever they put there needs to be helped out by the scheme. Again if they leave whoever plays there on his own to fail thats a HUGE failure on this coaching staff...

Steele was a disaster at LT.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Steele was a disaster at LT.

True and there are plenty of LT's in the league that are that level...I'm not saying it optimal im saying if the approach games with the "Next man up" "We do what we do" mentality it a huge fail on the coaching staff..whoever plays there will not be Tyron level and they need to scheme it that way.