CFZ Creatively thinking about the Cowboys Offensive Line

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
True and there are plenty of LT's in the league that are that level...I'm not saying it optimal im saying if the approach games with the "Next man up" "We do what we do" mentality it a huge fail on the coaching staff..whoever plays there will not be Tyron level and they need to scheme it that way.

I dont understand your reasoning here. Anyone with a LT the likes of Steele is going to have problems and is probably making a priority to get a new one.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I dont understand your reasoning here. Anyone with a LT the likes of Steele is going to have problems and is probably making a priority to get a new one.

Yes but until they can fix it they make sure that he has help and doesn't wreck every offensive series.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes but until they can fix it they make sure that he has help and doesn't wreck every offensive series.

Very tough to do. In the run game you cant help him. IN the passing game you can get a chip, but then you lose a Zeke standing in the middle for the blitzer. Or you lose a Zeke or TE going out for a pattern. And you cant really chip on stunts.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
No, because at the time they had a healthy Tyron Smith. The snaps Ball got were about having him earn the swing tackle position. Tyler Smith was being groomed to eventually be the LT. I say eventually because it was two years down the line. Meanwhile, the plan was for him to work next to Tyron, get experience in games and build his body. Tyron's injury has just advanced the timeline is all.
What are you talking about? Tyron was hurt before the final preseason game. That's when Tyler should have been at LT if that's the plan. Ball played 70% of the snaps after Tryon went down. No swing tackle looks there.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Tyron was hurt before the final preseason game. That's when Tyler should have been at LT if that's the plan. Ball played 70% of the snaps after Tryon went down. No swing tackle looks there.

I think Tyler was also hurt, he went down with an ankle i believe.

ccb04

Reaction score
Another possibility given that Tyler Smith looks to be the starter at LT.

LT: Tyler Smith

LG: Zack Martin (in this scenario, he would remain on the interior at guard, and would be in a position to help both Biadasz & Smith with protection calls, stunts, tendencies, etc. Running behind Tyler and Zack, could also prove beneficial.)

OC: Tyler Biadasz

RG: Conner McGovern (the position he has played the best, and seems most comfortable.)

RT: Terrence Steele

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
trolling? isaac is bad

Issac is 5th or 6th beat OL on this team. His ability to pay guard or tackle makes him valuable.

P.S. even Tyler Smith had penalties it happens to every young OL and BTW the biggest runs came behind him so your 100% wrong. :angry:

Jarntt

Reaction score
LT - Terrence Steele: Steele filled in for Tyron Smith last year when Smith was out, so the Cowboys already know Steele can be an adequate replacement. Moving him back to LT wasn’t the plan, but it beats putting a rookie or Josh Ball at LT.

LG - Tyler Smith: Smith has spent the entire off-season working at LG, and he shows a lot of power there, especially in the run game. Instead of setting him up to fail in a baptism of fire at LT, let Steele take that role, and allow Smith to develop into a dominant LG

C - Tyler Biadasz: While the Cowboys would like an upgrade from Biadasz at center, he’s been a starter from Day 1 of his career in the NFL.

RG - Connor McGovern: by all accounts, McGovern is better at RG than he is on the left side. He’s never going to beat out Martin, but it may be better for the Cowboys to start McGovern on the right side.

RT - Zack Martin: All-Pro Guard Larry Allen spent a couple of years playing tackle for the Cowboys in the 90’s when they didn’t have a good solution at tackle, and he made the Pro-Bowl as a tackle. If anyone on the Cowboys roster has the ability to flex into a new position, and continue to dominate, it is Martin.

Backup players. This leaves Josh Ball and Matt Waleska as you back up Tackles. Let them battle all season for the Swing Tackle job. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will need to add veteran interior depth for the Oline, while keeping Farniak as the game day backup at both guard and center.
Well, I guess at least you didn't move one guy...

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Issac is 5th or 6th beat OL on this team. His ability to pay guard or tackle makes him valuable.

P.S. even Tyler Smith had penalties it happens to every young OL and BTW the biggest runs came behind him so your 100% wrong. :angry:

i don’t think he’s any good right now. he needs to go get experience elsewhere. USFL? any word on his injury? i read somewhere he got injured last game.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
i don’t think he’s any good right now. he needs to go get experience elsewhere. USFL? any word on his injury? i read somewhere he got injured last game.

He has experience with Cowboys for couple of years going against real NFL players and he was dominating players that Ball & Waletsko struggled with in pre-season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We aren't talking just about one game. Tyron's injury occurred the Wednesday before a Friday night preseason game. That doesn't mean we put Tyler Smith out at LT to try out for the position, it's his. They protected him because they know he was their best option for the regular season. Your argument is ridiculous, but I digress. We don't need to argue points when the truth will be revealed with who starts on 11 Sept. I suggest we both keep our powder dry until then. If the starting O-line isn't exactly what I said it will be then I'll shut up. I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with it, I'm just saying what it will be... LT Tyler Smith, LG McG, C Biadasz, RG Martin, RT Steele.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
LT - Terrence Steele: Steele filled in for Tyron Smith last year when Smith was out, so the Cowboys already know Steele can be an adequate replacement. Moving him back to LT wasn’t the plan, but it beats putting a rookie or Josh Ball at LT.

LG - Tyler Smith: Smith has spent the entire off-season working at LG, and he shows a lot of power there, especially in the run game. Instead of setting him up to fail in a baptism of fire at LT, let Steele take that role, and allow Smith to develop into a dominant LG

C - Tyler Biadasz: While the Cowboys would like an upgrade from Biadasz at center, he’s been a starter from Day 1 of his career in the NFL.

RG - Connor McGovern: by all accounts, McGovern is better at RG than he is on the left side. He’s never going to beat out Martin, but it may be better for the Cowboys to start McGovern on the right side.

RT - Zack Martin: All-Pro Guard Larry Allen spent a couple of years playing tackle for the Cowboys in the 90’s when they didn’t have a good solution at tackle, and he made the Pro-Bowl as a tackle. If anyone on the Cowboys roster has the ability to flex into a new position, and continue to dominate, it is Martin.

Backup players. This leaves Josh Ball and Matt Waleska as you back up Tackles. Let them battle all season for the Swing Tackle job. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will need to add veteran interior depth for the Oline, while keeping Farniak as the game day backup at both guard and center.
that makes too much sense !
That isnt how jones boys operate. they will put the right guys in the wrong spots for sure.

It seems clear that they have decided to make tyler LT.