Criminal Trial... Im Innocent Help

Crad|e

Reaction score
Those with any legal/criminal advice please help.

April 1st, my wife comes home with a debit card that her mom let us borrow, she said there was 26.00 to spend. Anyways we buy some beer, food.. totalling 18.50 and I slide the card laying on the counter to the cashier, then sign off on it. When i get the card back it says Tammie Smith, not my mom-in-laws name. I asked my wife if she knew tammie she said no, neither did I. I assumed she laid the card down, she assumed I did. Then I take her to get cigs and she signs off for 4.00. 5 min later cops are at my house saying we used a stolen card and I give them the card and receipt.. explaining that I got it from my mother-in-law.

Days go by, and the police call me monday the 4th and want to see me and my wife. I told them the story above and they said they believed my wife but thought I was lying. Im being charged with felony recieving, holding, or concealing a credit card and misdeamoner unauthorized use.

I cant afford an attorney, it was an innocent mistake. Will the judge postpone my April 29th court date til I can afford one you think? What do i do>

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
Start working out, or wax your eyebrows and change your name to Samantha.

just kidding.

Actually, you should atleast consult a lawyer. A felony can ruin your life. All lawyers, well I should say MOST, offer payment plans. Set up an appointment with 1 or 2 asap. More than likely, they'll postpone it immediately anyways. I'm not a lawyer.

Crad|e

Reaction score
The cheapest lawyer I found is 750 down. I cant come up with that in two weeks.. I hope the judge gives me a month or so.​

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
The issue you have is explaining the "innocent mistake" after using the card the 2nd time, knowing the name on the card wasn't your mother inlaws.

You will probably be fined $1500 or so and also get a nice amount of community service along with probation. You can probably plea the felony charge down to a misdemeanor or at the very least get a suspended imposition of sentence if you stay out of trouble long enough.

If you have a prior record, ignore my post.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
26 bucks and they are trying to charge you with a felony ?

Dallas is right though.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3904998 said:
What did you do to get your mother in law so mad at you?

Married her daughter

All joking aside

Didn't your wife notice the name on the card when it was "given" to her?

rynochop

Reaction score
Geez, do live in Mayberry or something? Cops spending this much effort over 26 bucks?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
rynochop;3905006 said:
Geez, do live in Mayberry or something? Cops spending this much effort over 26 bucks?

Yeah but think off the money they'll get in court costs and fines.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the court would provide you with an attorney....public defender.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3905017 said:
I thought the court would provide you with an attorney....public defender.

Yeah, but he probably wants to win, not cop a plea and have some sort of record.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
vta;3905037 said:
Yeah, but he probably wants to win, not cop a plea and have some sort of record.

Well it sounds like he is strapped for cash and can't afford an attorney.:(

Reaction score
If you lie and say you didn't notice the name was different from your mother in law until after the 2nd purchase you might get more mercy. If you did notice after the first purchase, you deserve to get busted.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If she gave it to you, then she is in just as much trouble as you are.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Just my view, I look at the card before I use it,how can I not? I see the signed receipt and the wrong name, I go to the clerk and ask he call the CC bank cancel the authorization on it. For sure not going to make a second purchase on it.

heavyg

Reaction score
I think the second purchase is what will be your downfall. The first you can almost claim not knowing it was the wrong name. But the second you knew and charged the product anyway.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;3905047 said:
Just put it on the card.

I think that is what got him in trouble in the first place. :laugh2: