Cris Carter to rookies "Have a fall guy in your crew"

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
They can go out and not run into trouble though. I think the idea that they can't go anywhere or do anything without trouble finding them is what's unrealistic. Most of them don't get into serious trouble at all, so it's obviously possible.

didn't say it was unrealistic for them to go out and not get in trouble, just it was unrealistic to expect them to not go out. these guys are targets and people look to start things with them and yes to you or I it would likely not be worth it to put yourself in those situations, but they do. and telling athletes not to go out is like teaching abstinence only in sex ed.

Rogah

Reaction score
yup, with over 400,000 laws on the books, a study recently found the average american commits 3 felonies per day.
Not sure if serious..... tell us, what felonies did that study say the average American is committing? Or is the study simply saying that criminals who do commit felonies commit so many that it simply averages out against the whole population as mentioned?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
For a criminal.

It must be a generational thing to think that having a "fall guy" is a good idea...I can't fathom that, in most any case, it's good to have a "fall guy". The only way you need one is if you are a troublemaker or hang with a crowd that has troublemakers in it. In either case, the player that needs a fall guy is not a player I want associated with my team.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
No, it's absolutely realistic to mature people. It's not only realistic to not put yourself in danger of losing your great paying job, it's also smart.

I can just about guarantee that those saying it's a good idea to have the fall guy are relative youngsters.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Man Sapp and Carter have to be the two biggest idiots in the sports media. Every single thing I hear about them is just ridiculous.

How does the NFL even allow that to happen in the first place.

Reactions: BAZ

jrumann59

Reaction score
yup, with over 400,000 laws on the books, a study recently found the average american commits 3 felonies per day.

in other words, everyone saying "dont break the law" after you...is committing felonies and breaking the law themselves lol

Little unfair, if an athlete goes out with his crew and gets arrested for breaking one of these 400000 laws on the books that not everyone knows about is one thing, but when you knowingly go out to a club and get in to a fight is another, or slap around your "girlfriend", or help your homie transport a 10lbs of cocaine to the other side of the city

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Not sure if serious..... tell us, what felonies did that study say the average American is committing? Or is the study simply saying that criminals who do commit felonies commit so many that it simply averages out against the whole population as mentioned?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...you-could-be-committing-three-felonies-a-day/

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-you-commit-three-felonies-a-day-2009-9

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Little unfair, if an athlete goes out with his crew and gets arrested for breaking one of these 400000 laws on the books that not everyone knows about is one thing, but when you knowingly go out to a club and get in to a fight is another, or slap around your "girlfriend", or help your homie transport a 10lbs of cocaine to the other side of the city

that view is a possibility...most of the time, a felony is a felony though.

Rogah

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing in those links answered the question I asked so I remain thoroughly unconvinced. Sorry, but I'm not one of those people who believes "it's the title of a book some guy wrote, so it must be true."

jrumann59

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing in those links answered the question I asked so I remain thoroughly unconvinced. Sorry, but I'm not one of those people who believes "it's the title of a book some guy wrote, so it must be true."

I know many states have old laws on the books that are technically arrestable offenses but the laws are so old no one enforces them. Most states have very conservative laws pertaining to sex that are as old as the country and most people are guilty of violating those clauses. the link below are some stupid laws that can get you fined or jailed and still on the books.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/02/17-ridiculous-laws-still_n_481379.html

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Don't know if this is still true but if someone steals your horse in Texas, you can hang the thief

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I know many states have old laws on the books that are technically arrestable offenses but the laws are so old no one enforces them. Most states have very conservative laws pertaining to sex that are as old as the country and most people are guilty of violating those clauses. the link below are some stupid laws that can get you fined or jailed and still on the books.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/02/17-ridiculous-laws-still_n_481379.html

Its more about stuff like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Eric_Garner

jrumann59

Reaction score

Most people know if it has a tax stamp on it the state or municipality gets upset if you start selling product from another area where it is cheaper to buy such things. NYC is usually destination #1 for people taht buy cigarettes in VA/NC and run them up I95 to sell them in NYC for $8 a pack instead of 10-15 a pack many places charge in NYC

erod

Reaction score
I'm always highly uncomfortable when I see guys like Carter, Michael Irvin, Charles Haley, Deion Sanders, Warren Sapp, etc, lecturing young players on anything.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I think it would be more helpful for guys like Carter and especially Sapp to encourage the draftees to hedge against financial problems (via savings/investments/annuities) rather than legal ones. I guess they're just more qualified to talk about one issue than the other.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Most people know if it has a tax stamp on it the state or municipality gets upset if you start selling product from another area where it is cheaper to buy such things. NYC is usually destination #1 for people taht buy cigarettes in VA/NC and run them up I95 to sell them in NYC for $8 a pack instead of 10-15 a pack many places charge in NYC

hey, plaxico went to jail for what in 80% of the other states was merely an accident.

dogberry

Reaction score
If I were Carter or Sapp's fall guy, I would not confident that they would rescue me from from the scaffold.