Cris Collinsworth -- Jaelan Phillips is the best defensive player in the draft

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah.. I've been watching him a lot this week and I tend to agree.

Dude has the athleticism and can shed blocks really well.

These are the types of players championship defenses are built on. Not some corner.

He looks like a top 5 non QB player in this draft who is going to be had later on at a huge discount.

If his medicals check out he should be our pick.

tm1119

Reaction score
I know you've been following him, what's the latest on his medicals?

He tested positive for covid and couldn’t get examined last week in Indy...not sure what the next step for that is..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He tested positive for covid and couldn’t get examined last week in Indy...not sure what the next step for that is..

1 thing we got going for us is Lawrence and Gregory will allow him to not have to play a ton early on and I think that would help to limit his risk.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He definitely is the best defensive prospect in the draft.

Folks have gone off the deep end with the concussions.

In 2018, he suffered his first major injury (ankle), then twisted the other, then broke his wrist (had two surgeries), then had a run of concussions all in one season. That’s what led him down the path of contemplating football and taking a step back.

The concussions have not cropped up as a problem since. I’m interested in hearing the scuttlebutt from his medicals in a few weeks, but if he checks out I wouldn’t blink twice drafting him at #10.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah.. I've been watching him a lot this week and I tend to agree.

Dude has the athleticism and can shed blocks really well.

These are the types of players championship defenses are built on. Not some corner.

He looks like a top 5 non QB player in this draft who is going to be had later on at a huge discount.

If his medicals check out he should be our pick.
This guy has had concussion after concussion. Yet you want to draft him?

tm1119

Reaction score
Anyone with that many concussions I take a hard pass on. Especially at that position.

Don’t get me wrong, 3 concussions is never good and definitely cause for concern...but I also think you’d be eliminating a very large percentage of football players if that’s your limit on head injuries. He had a year + off and didn’t have issues at Miami so you’d be looking at almost 3 years concussion free going into the the NFL.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, 3 concussions is never good and definitely cause for concern...but I also think you’d be eliminating a very large percentage of football players if that’s your limit on head injuries. He had a year + off and didn’t have issues at Miami so you’d be looking at almost 3 years concussion free going into the the NFL.
Its not the amount. Its the way he plays that caused them. Hes not going to stop playing the way he does when he gets to the NFL. Thats my concern.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

BINGO

phildadon86

Reaction score
He definitely is the best defensive prospect in the draft.

Folks have gone off the deep end with the concussions.

In 2018, he suffered his first major injury (ankle), then twisted the other, then broke his wrist (had two surgeries), then had a run of concussions all in one season. That’s what led him down the path of contemplating football and taking a step back.

The concussions have not cropped up as a problem since. I’m interested in hearing the scuttlebutt from his medicals in a few weeks, but if he checks out I wouldn’t blink twice drafting him at #10.
The last time we had a player that questioned playing football. It was Cole Beasely and Garrett convinced him to stay. Then it was David Irving and we know how that turned out. Why even bother taking the risk? This guy gets another concussion and hes going to retire early and we wasted a top ten pick. No thank you. Im sick of drafting guys that dont like football. (Hill, Charlton, etc). Get people that love the game.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think we can say he is the best pass rusher in the draft but at the same time admit that the concussions are a red flag, can't we? At number 10, is the risk worth it? In a year where Dallas is desperate for defense, or a stud offensive lineman, I don't know that Phillips is worth the risk. If it was my decision, I would take a guy I know is going to play at least 75% of snaps on his side of the ball in 2021. The Cowboys have Lawrence and Gregory, and while Gregory is himself a risk due to bad decisions, if he is able to play, I do not want to take him off the field to give my rookie 1st round draft choice a chance to play. They signed Basham and they have Anae for depth. I don't think DE is as much of a need at they have at other positions.