Crow must be eaten

haleyrules

Reaction score
The Cowboys sure got the real thing with this Elliott. He is a killer on the loose!!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think anybody ever thought Zeke wasn't a very good player, did they? I know I was strong against a RB at #4. I still think it was a mistake.

As far as his production goes, I think I said in a thread someplace that ~1,600 and ~15 TDs or so was pretty much what we ought to expect out of him given what we spent to get him and what it cost in terms of missing the opportunity to address the defense. That's pretty much the level he's delivering at, which is great.

I love Zeke's pass protection, and I love that he's another guy like Dez who can get the offense hyped up, too. He's a good fit for the team, overall. Even if he's a little bit of a knucklehead himself every now and then.

Pokes12

Reaction score
I don't think anybody ever thought Zeke wasn't a very good player, did they? I know I was strong against a RB at #4. I still think it was a mistake.

As far as his production goes, I think I said in a thread someplace that ~1,600 and ~15 TDs or so was pretty much what we ought to expect out of him given what we spent to get him and what it cost in terms of missing the opportunity to address the defense. That's pretty much the level he's delivering at, which is great.

I love Zeke's pass protection, and I love that he's another guy like Dez who can get the offense hyped up, too. He's a good fit for the team, overall. Even if he's a little bit of a knucklehead himself every now and then.
You still think drafting Zeke was a mistake? You are one sorry person and know nothing about football. Oh, you played in Pop Warner, sorry I thought you were completely clueless. LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You still think drafting Zeke was a mistake? You are one sorry person and know nothing about football. Oh, you played in Pop Warner, sorry I thought you were completely clueless. LOL

Good one! The Pop Warner zing was inspired. Did you find that on another message board and were just looking for the opportunity to electrocute somebody with it, or was is a zinger you just came up with on the spot and I"m the unhappy poster you got to obliterate with it? Either way....masterfully done. "oh, you played in Pop Warner, sorry." I'm still chuckling.

I'm not a sorry person, though. I'm generally pretty positive, and I'm definitely positive about he direction the team is heading in. Though that's not new, since I've seen it coming for a long time now. As for the Zeke stuff, I think we've gone over this plenty, though. I'm not remotely surprised by his production, and I still think the better move was adding defensive help. I like Zeke, like watching his style of football very much, I enjoy watching the strong running game and all that. I just don't think it was the best use of limited resources, so it goes.

haleyrules

Reaction score

It really depends on how long he lasts. Running Backs have traditionally had short careers and Elliotts style may hurt his longevity. That needs to be considered when taking RB's high in a draft. On the other hand a great running game is the real backbone of an great Offense.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Some people will never get it.. It wasn't about Zeke the PLAYER at 4, it was taking a RB, ANY RB, at 4.

I got that, what most people also didn't get, was this draft lacked top tier talent. Bosa is not JJ Watt or Von Miller and Ramsey is not Richard Sherman or Patrick Peterson, imo, if one of the two QBs were there, take them, otherwise Elliott was the only option.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Wow, an attack. Why? I disagree too, but at least he provided solid reasoning and didn't just blurt something crazy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, if you're going to get a RB with the 4th overall pick, Dallas appears to have hit out of the park.
:flagwave::yourock:

Hoov

Reaction score

I too was hoping to get a pass rusher..... but when it didn't happen I kind of said - well ok, its going to be a whole lot of fun watching this kid run behind this line and that was the end of it for me. But since you brought up pass protection -

Idgit, did you see the sturm article decoding linehan yet - there's a clip in there of him owning someone at the LOS in pass protection that I absolutely loved. I couldn't tell who he was blocking from the clip - was wondering if that was a DE or LB lining up the LOS but man that was just great.

Also, im starting to think that a RB as special as he is may affect the game more so than some would have thought possible. I understand the arguenment against taking a RB that high in a passing league and was on board with that - but its looking to me like he is just such a special player that the rule does not apply here.

Hoov

Reaction score
I got that, what most people also didn't get, was this draft lacked top tier talent. Bosa is not JJ Watt or Von Miller and Ramsey is not Richard Sherman or Patrick Peterson, imo, if one of the two QBs were there, take them, otherwise Elliott was the only option.
I think this is spot on. Though I think Bosa would have been a good pick, but then he was taken already.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I too was hoping to get a pass rusher..... but when it didn't happen I kind of said - well ok, its going to be a whole lot of fun watching this kid run behind this line and that was the end of it for me. But since you brought up pass protection -

Idgit, did you see the sturm article decoding linehan yet - there's a clip in there of him owning someone at the LOS in pass protection that I absolutely loved. I couldn't tell who he was blocking from the clip - was wondering if that was a DE or LB lining up the LOS but man that was just great.

Also, im starting to think that a RB as special as he is may affect the game more so than some would have thought possible. I understand the arguenment against taking a RB that high in a passing league and was on board with that - but its looking to me like he is just such a special player that the rule does not apply here.

I didn't mean to bash the Zeke pick indirectly there, btw. They obviously hit on a play maker with that pick. That works for me, even if it's a RB where I (still) feel we could have gotten much (not all) of the same value later in the draft. The fact that Zeke can block and make plays in the passing game and has a personality that players seem to rally around all works for me. And he's pretty much delivering at the rate he had to deliver at to make the pick worthwhile, so I got no complaints.

Just saying we had the draft capital to actually address the QB or DE position this year and we chose not to do it. We were incredibly fortunate with Dak, and if Zeke and Smith pan out, it's absolutely great, but the opportunity cost there is you don't fix your DL problems. Ie, we're not going to fix them at the trade deadline when the value of next year's pick is at it's absolute lowest and when no team is going to let a decent pass rusher walk, anyway. At this point, there really isn't an option for dramatically improving the DL rotation. We just have to live with it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, an attack. Why? I disagree too, but at least he provided solid reasoning and didn't just blurt something crazy.

Heh. I'd read his post and then forgot to get around to replying to it. There's no way to make my point without some people intentionally taking it wrong. We hit on the pick. I'm very happy with Zeke. I also don't think it was the best use of resources. Though, with the secondary playing as well as it is, that might not end up having been true, either. I wanted Bosa, for the pass rush, then Ramsey, for the CB holes we're going to have next year. Then the trade down, to address the defense. At no point did I say or think Zeke was not a fantastic running back. I just didn't want to spend my resources on a running back.

Most people disagreed with that at the time, and I have no issues with that. Not sure why that angers Poke, but then, I also don't remotely care. He can get as worked up as he likes about me preferring to draft defenders. At least he's right that I did play Pop Warner. I was a RB, lol.

Hoov

Reaction score
I didn't mean to bash the Zeke pick indirectly there, btw. They obviously hit on a play maker with that pick. That works for me, even if it's a RB where I (still) feel we could have gotten much (not all) of the same value later in the draft. The fact that Zeke can block and make plays in the passing game and has a personality that players seem to rally around all works for me. And he's pretty much delivering at the rate he had to deliver at to make the pick worthwhile, so I got no complaints.

Just saying we had the draft capital to actually address the QB or DE position this year and we chose not to do it. We were incredibly fortunate with Dak, and if Zeke and Smith pan out, it's absolutely great, but the opportunity cost there is you don't fix your DL problems. Ie, we're not going to fix them at the trade deadline when the value of next year's pick is at it's absolute lowest and when no team is going to let a decent pass rusher walk, anyway. At this point, there really isn't an option for dramatically improving the DL rotation. We just have to live with it.
I know you weren't bashing at zeke. I totally understand your point of view and don't have any issues with it at all.

Hoov

Reaction score
I wanted Bosa, for the pass rush, then Ramsey, for the CB holes we're going to have next year. Then the trade down, to address the defense. At no point did I say or think Zeke was not a fantastic running back. I just didn't want to spend my resources on a running back.

Most people disagreed with that at the time, and I have no issues with that. Not sure why that angers Poke, but then, I also don't remotely care. He can get as worked up as he likes about me preferring to draft defenders. At least he's right that I did play Pop Warner. I was a RB, lol.
:laugh:at Bold part. I also wanted Bosa but I was not so hot on Ramsey due to I felt like we just picked a similar guy in B Jones.