Culture, discipline and accountability

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I feel like these three things are the Crux of our problems with our team and why we are not making it further in the playoffs.

I like Mike McCarthy as a coach I think he's done a good job but I think for us to get further we are going to have to fix these three problems and I don't think he is strong enough to do it.

Right at this moment is a very unique time in football history where there is a virtual dream team of Hall of Fame coaches looking for jobs.

In short I think Mike McCarthy can get us to the playoffs consistently but Bill belichick might be able to get us to an NFC championship game because of his attention to our three main problems.

I believe until we fix these problems we never know how much talent we really have on the team and that talent can never reach its potential.

After weighing the pros and cons I just believe we might really kick ourselves if we don't take advantage of a proven super bowl winners knowledge of team building while we have this unique opportunity.

Your thoughts
Agreed.....
Unfortunately the source of all three problems is not going anywhere.

MS17

Reaction score
After all these cupcake coaches you kind of have to wonder if a guy with the stones of belichick would be able to change this culture he has the resume a resume that no one else can come close to producing Jerry has to respect that he has no choice if he were to hire him but to respect that resume.

But mark my Belichick check would make it uncomfortable for Jerry and I don't know if he's ready for that
Just a thought, bro. I think Parcells and Belichick are cut from the same cloth and ultimately Bill P. left frustrated and without a sense of accomplishment while in Dallas. (Bill even told reporters that "2 years after he was gone, they'd never know I was even here"). We wont know, but Belichick probably wouldnt be a good fit for Dallas (the Jerry problem). Just my .02.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I feel like these three things are the Crux of our problems with our team and why we are not making it further in the playoffs.

I like Mike McCarthy as a coach I think he's done a good job but I think for us to get further we are going to have to fix these three problems and I don't think he is strong enough to do it.

Right at this moment is a very unique time in football history where there is a virtual dream team of Hall of Fame coaches looking for jobs.

In short I think Mike McCarthy can get us to the playoffs consistently but Bill belichick might be able to get us to an NFC championship game because of his attention to our three main problems.

I believe until we fix these problems we never know how much talent we really have on the team and that talent can never reach its potential.

After weighing the pros and cons I just believe we might really kick ourselves if we don't take advantage of a proven super bowl winners knowledge of team building while we have this unique opportunity.

Your thoughts
All of things are very important, but hard to had DB to be accountable at LB.

kwcool619

Reaction score
On the old forum, I used to list my 5 (or was it 6) characteristics of a Championship team:
1. Discipline
2. Accountability
3. Leadership
4. Mental Toughness
5. Team Unity

But right now, this current organizational Country Club culture is far away from it.
Instead, here is what is currently going on:
1. Terrible lack of discipline
2. Lack of Accountability.
3. Leadership???? Uhh, no
4. Mental Toughness???? Uhhh...no
5. Team Unity. Besides 1 and 2, I feel this is a problem. This is a stretch but right now, there are 53 individuals (for the large part) who are wearing the same uniform. Reminds me of the Budweiser commercials with Leon the football player. Reporter: There's no I in team. Leon: Well, it ain't no we either.

Chasing6

Reaction score
On the old forum, I used to list my 5 (or was it 6) characteristics of a Championship team:
1. Discipline
2. Accountability
3. Leadership
4. Mental Toughness
5. Team Unity

But right now, this current organizational Country Club culture is far away from it.
Instead, here is what is currently going on:
1. Terrible lack of discipline
2. Lack of Accountability.
3. Leadership???? Uhh, no
4. Mental Toughness???? Uhhh...no
5. Team Unity. Besides 1 and 2, I feel this is a problem. This is a stretch but right now, there are 53 individuals (for the large part) who are wearing the same uniform. Reminds me of the Budweiser commercials with Leon the football player. Reporter: There's no I in team. Leon: It ain't no we either.
Missing lack of talent

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Your thoughts
Culture? Country club

Disci0line and accountability? Non existent

Blackrain

Reaction score
Kind of thinking if we had an old school coach that instilled the other five we might realize our potential and actually maximize the talent we have a little better

Blackrain

Reaction score
I missed a lot. I just concentrated on five. Didn't want to make a long list. But fellow fans can add to this.
I guess this falls under mental toughness leadership and team unity but geez it seems like if we're not up by 10 points the body language of our key players is just horrible they're walking around like little kids on the playground that weren't picked for the kickball team

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
What Jerry is forgetting is that winning another Super Bowl would increase Dallas shine even more that all the extra Jerry tries to do for attention……it’s better for the team OVERALL if the team won…..but Jerry is too focused on himself that he doesn’t see the opportunity to get a coach who has what we need (discipline, preparation, drive and motivation, hard nosed mentality) to win a SB and fulfill BOTH Jerry’s goals of winning and attention. They didn’t get mega popular in th 90s because of him, but because of the players, Jimmy, and how they won…..let the coach coach.
Jerry isn't forgetting, he just doesn't care. He brings a real head coach in and we win? That coach gets the credit, and Jerry won't have it. Jerry sends Dak into orbit, we all say we told you not to make that dude the highest paid QB, and Jerry won't have it. It matters not to Jerry if we never win again on his watch.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I realize that Dak has a no trade clause but after looking at the attitudes of some of these players on the sideline I almost feel like it's time to blow this thing up and trade DAk and Micah for the maximum amount of high draft picks you could get let belichick run a draft and get all the players he wants with the character that he wants and rebuild this mess with guys that have the character to be able to show up in big games and not give up if we're not playing with a lead just not sure how the whole no trade clause works if Dak was on board with the trade they could do it.

And I'm not saying it's Dak with the bad body language and hang dog looks but if for whatever reason he can't inspire the confidence on the sideline that's a problem.
I could be dead wrong but I just feel like belichick is a unique entity with the absolute proven ability to build super bowl teams and if there's any team that needs that skill set it's us to have the opportunity and miss out on it after 30 years of failure just might be something we'd kick ourselves in the behind for for a very long time.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Jerry isn't forgetting, he just doesn't care. He brings a real head coach in and we win? That coach gets the credit, and Jerry won't have it. Jerry sends Dak into orbit, we all say we told you not to make that dude the highest paid QB, and Jerry won't have it. It matters not to Jerry if we never win again on his watch.
This is definitely a possibility if we had a coach like belichick come in and turn everything upside down and be successful he would get all the credit and Jerry would be looked at like The village idiot for doing it his way for 30 years and failing so he probably really doesn't want that.

You could very well be right continuing to fail in his mind would be better than someone else succeeding and getting all the credit.

Very hard to be sure what's in the mind of A dysfunctional individual with that much money

kwcool619

Reaction score
I guess this falls under mental toughness leadership and team unity but geez it seems like if we're not up by 10 points the body language of our key players is just horrible they're walking around like little kids on the playground that weren't picked for the kickball team
I have noticed it also

Blackrain

Reaction score
If your top players are not leaders that is a concern.
This is very true and I'm looking at our top players being Dak Micah CD lamb.
I think 90% of the time DAk and Micah are very good leaders CD lamb can get butt hurt in a minute and walk around looking like a child.
But it seems like during the biggest games if there's the least bit of struggle the rest of the team loses confidence and then you have the stupid penalties that compound the problem and make it harder for our best players to lead holding the special teams penalties and Micah being held all the time.
I feel like our leaders try their best to be good leaders but it seems like the rest of the team just loses confidence too fast and instead of rising to the occasion and playing above their heads they're quick to hang their heads

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is very true and I'm looking at our top players being Dak Micah CD lamb.
I think 90% of the time DAk and Micah are very good leaders CD lamb can get butt hurt in a minute and walk around looking like a child.
But it seems like during the biggest games if there's the least bit of struggle the rest of the team loses confidence and then you have the stupid penalties that compound the problem and make it harder for our best players to lead holding the special teams penalties and Micah being held all the time.
I feel like our leaders try their best to be good leaders but it seems like the rest of the team just loses confidence too fast and instead of rising to the occasion and playing above their heads they're quick to hang their heads
That is when leaders step up. Not go complain on the sideline. Leaders make players around the better.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I feel Dak has the skill set to take us to a super bowl if everyone else does their job.

He is a guy who uses everything he can to try and win and plays up to his ability at all times he struggled in that playoff game but he also took off and ran the ball for 50 yards in that game to try and move the chains he was doing all he could.
Granted I realize because I really like Dak it could cloud my judgment and there's a whole ton of people on The forum that don't believe that can get us there.

What I do believe wholeheartedly is a coach like belichick who has made it to nine super bowls and won six of them would be able to make a much better assessment than myself or anybody else on this forum and his judgment would be what I would trust.

That said I feel we need someone like him and that's to say we need him because there is no one with his resume who can judge the players on this team without prejudice and field a team that can succeed in big moments

Blackrain

Reaction score
Quite possibly the demeanor and body language on the sidelines may have nothing to do with our leaders on the field.
The players may be totally confident in dak Micah

They may have a total loss of confidence in the coaching it may be McCarthy they have no faith in

And a coach like belichick would fix that problem too how could you not have ultimate respect for a guy that has been in and won that many super bowls his reputation stands before him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
At this point I'm not out to bash anyone point the finger or a sign blame like many I've seen try to do after this tragic loss.

I'm just bench racing a solution to this problem and I just feel like starting out with the best coach money can buy with a proven resume not just one lucky super bowl win making it to that game nine times means you are more than lucky it's not just a coincidence it means you're capable and know how to follow through from start to finish and what players are needed to get that kind of job done.
I feel that's where you got to start the players have to have confidence in the coaching staff and I kind of feel we're lacking that right now