Current cap space: 11 million. What moves create more cap space?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'd like to rollover as much cap space as possible towards next year. We'll probably use some of that 11 million throughout the year because of injuries. Extend Prescott, rollover the cap space. If we cut Crawford, I would like a replacement. I'd rather have him on the team though.

As far as other moves, I can't really think of any other than restructuring contracts, but that would push cap space down the line.

36M cap space next season.

Flamma

Reaction score
Would it have to? Would it be possible to have it hit 2021

I'm not sure exactly what the rule is, but I don't think you can back load signing bonus. You can front load it however. Adams base is low enough that it would be insignificant anyway. The thing is, the Cowboys might want to put a lot of the bonus on 2020. It's the next two years Dallas might run into cap trouble if they sign Adams.

Flamma

Reaction score
The purpose of the thread was what could be done to get additional cap space this year if needed

I had seen posts questioning how we could make certain moves with only 11 million cap space. I wanted more information put out about how we can generate more cap space if needed

I took a look at 7 players that we'll most likely be keeping going into next year. I did not include Dak. I looked at others as well, but they had no impact on the cap going into next year.

Those 7 players cap hit will go up roughly 23 million more next year. We have 11 in space now and I think Crawford and Lee should be gone by next year. Those two add up to 13.5M

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Unless there is a player you decide to sign why worry about creating cap space
Signing Dak will create some cap space
You can restructure guys but unless you want to sign a clowney type contract then I don’t see the point

Yep,

This year isn't the issue, and restructuring just compounds the issue, having to pay more guaranteed money.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The purpose of the thread was what could be done to get additional cap space this year if needed

I had seen posts questioning how we could make certain moves with only 11 million cap space. I wanted more information put out about how we can generate more cap space if needed

Release dead weight, (Lewis and Jones) but are you getting value from the replacement (who are presumably a down grade)
Extend good players (hope they can maintain value as they age) Martin
Restructure expensive contracts = paying them guaranteed money which kicks the can (DLaw, Zeke and Coops).

With little flexibility in 2021 and give the players the chance to play under new coaching I think we keep as much CAP space as possible.... sometimes you have to bite the bullet (2020 and 2021)

conner01

Reaction score
Yep,

This year isn't the issue, and restructuring just compounds the issue, having to pay more guaranteed money.
Exactly
To me it’s a last resort move
You build it in to contracts for when you need it as big contracts get harder to manage
It get the concept
But unless we see a player who can really help and not do more harm than good, then no reason to use it

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i think they should roll over as much cap space as possible if they dont have a season its really going to be tough in 2021 with the cap reduction they will face

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
CRAWFORD and a couple of more cuts would be nice..

Possibly need him if we cant rely on Aldon and Randy.

May be better for us financially if we can get Crawford to spread his $9m over two years.

We can carry over the saved $4.5m to pay him as a serviceable defensive linesman ...… if Aldon and Randy play well I doubt we'll be able to afford them in 2021.