2. Bill Belichick - 2007, 2011, 2017
  3. Mike Tomlin - 2010
  4. Pete Carroll - 2014
  5. Ron Rivera - 2015
  6. Dan Quinn - 2016
  7. Sean McVay - 2018
  8. Kyle Shanahan - 2019
Discuss...

In the 1970's, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry all won multiple Super Bowls.
In the 1980's, Tom Flores, Bill Walsh, and Joe Gibbs all won multiple Super Bowls
In the 1990's, Jimmy Johnson, George Siefert, and Mike Shanahan all won multiple Super Bowls

Since 2000, only Bill Belichick has managed to win multiple Super Bowls as a Head Coach during a decade, and he did it twice.

The issue is coaches seem to bounce around much more these days. The multiple SB winners you mention above, except for Jimmy, were all long time coaches. Big Bill’s recent dominance also skews the data. That guy has been a SB vacuum cleaner.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not as telling as it sounds because most head coaches never even go to another team after winning the Super Bowl.
There have been 7 super bowl winning head coaches who went to another team after winning one, but never won another SB. They are:
  • Hank Stram- won SB III with chiefs, later coached saints
  • Tom Flores- won SB XV and XVIII with Raiders, later coached Seahawks
  • Mike Ditka- won SB XX with bears, later coached saints
  • Bill Parcells- won SB XXI and XXV w/ giants, later coached pats, jets and Cowboys
  • George Seifert- won SB XXIV, XXVIIII with niners, later coached panthers
  • Jimmy Johnson- won SB XXVII and XXVIII with Dallas, later coached the dolphins
  • Mike Holmgren- won SB XXXI with pack, later coached Seahawks.
That’s 7 SB winning coaches that tried again for another team and never succeeded. That’s actually very telling.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There have been 7 super bowl winning head coaches who went to another team after winning one, but never won another SB. They are:
  • Bill Parcells- won SB XXI and XXV w/ giants, later coached pats, jets and Cowboys
  • Jimmy Johnson- won SB XXVII and XXVIII with Dallas, later coached the dolphins
That’s 7 SB winning coaches that tried again for another team and never succeeded. That’s actually very telling.

That's 7 out of 33 - only 21% of SB winning coaches. That actually supports what I said.

Plus, how much of not winning with the next team was a result of not being in a good situation, therefore it had more to do with circumstances than with whether that coach had the ability to win with another team? Stram, for example, took over a 2-12 Saints team. Ditka took over a 3-13 Saints team. Seifert took over a 4-12 Panthers team.

Obviously no coach wins solely on their own. There has to be the right opportunity as well, especially given that winning a Super Bowl is difficult - never a given whether a coach is good enough to win or not.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's 7 out of 33 - only 21% of SB winning coaches. That actually supports what I said.

Plus, how much of not winning with the next team was a result of not being in a good situation, therefore it had more to do with circumstances than with whether that coach had the ability to win with another team? Stram, for example, took over a 2-12 Saints team. Ditka took over a 3-13 Saints team. Seifert took over a 4-12 Panthers team.

Obviously no coach wins solely on their own. There has to be the right opportunity as well, especially given that winning a Super Bowl is difficult - never a given whether a coach is good enough to win or not.
Yes, you’re right, 21% is not very many of the total. But 100% of the ones who have tried have not been able to win another one. That’s still a pretty good sample size. And we should include Jon Gruden and Big Mac among the 33 that have tried to win a SB elsewhere.

That makes nearly 1/3 of SB winning coaches who have tried elsewhere. All were really good coaches. Hopefully Big Mac becomes the first of nine who tried and won.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if we’ll ever see a coach as good as Belichick again.
I don't think so because he can detach himself from the human side of it like a GM has to do and most HC's can't do that.

Belichick isn't just a "what have you done for me lately" coach, he's a "what did you do for me in the last game" coach. What is so odd about it is that few, if any, of his players resent him for it. They will return to play for him.

What he did in Trey Flowers, as good a team guy as you'd want, case was for the player. He didn't even play the tag game with him, just let him walk and make his best deal.

The other oddity about him is that he's never satisfied. Most people get something built, they want to lay back and enjoy the fruits of their labor but not him. I watch him during a game and can see the wheels turning on how to improve his roster.

The other thing that makes him unmatchable is that he does not adhere to the D philosophy that a good pass D begins up front, he's a back end guy and has spent countless high draft picks trying to get his secondary right. And he will break his own formula and pay a hired gun CB even more likely that a QB.

I've debated this with many here and I agree with him in the day of the pass. I used to think of the old hourglass model, DT's, MLB, and S's first and build around that but with the pass game and these new QB's that can avoid the rush, those CB's are the critical pieces to the pass D before it can really stop any QB. His DL are more dependent on the DB's than the reverse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it has been so difficult for HC's to win at more than one location, doesn't this lend credence to the talent over coaching debate? Wasn't Landry the same coach in the 80's and the 70's? The game didn't pass him by, some of his systems are still in use today. What passed him by was Brandt and Schramm no longer able to supply the talent.

Didn't Buddy Ryan employ the same D scheme after he left CHI? Didn't Lewis do the same leaving BAL? Quinn leaving SEA? Kiffin tried to use the same scheme to help his son in college and failed.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yes, you’re right, 21% is not very many of the total. But 100% of the ones who have tried have not been able to win another one. That’s still a pretty good sample size. And we should include Jon Gruden and Big Mac among the 33 that have tried to win a SB elsewhere.

That makes nearly 1/3 of SB winning coaches who have tried elsewhere. All were really good coaches. Hopefully Big Mac becomes the first of nine who tried and won.
You clearly can't include McCarthy as he hasn't coached another team yet.
Gruden is still in progress.

It should also be noted that 2 of those 7 did return to the SB, though they did not win.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's not exactly fair to include Gruden and McCarthy - the story isn't yet known with either, and McCarthy hasn't even coached a game with another team yet.

But my point was that the initial comment was misleading because even though it's true none of the SB winning coaches ever won a Super Bowl with another team, the vast majority were never even with another team after winning the Super Bowl.

I also think it was misleading because the suggestion was that coaches simply can't win with another team, whereas the reality is most of the time it's more a result of the state of the team and the organization than it is the coach.

By the way, I miscounted before. It's actually 7 out of 34 rather than 33.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If they had won with their first team they likely wouldn’t have been with their 2nd team, so what I said still applies.

Besides. a lot of first time head coaches are still learning, and/or have bad team situations, and they don’t get the chance to grow into the job and build. Like Belichick in Cleveland.

Aside from coaching ability, the primary factors are situation and opportunity.
There’s always contributing factors involved but it begins with the talent.

The coaches with the most talent or most in key positions usually wins with rare exceptions. And why they are called upsets.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s always contributing factors involved but it begins with the talent.

The coaches with the most talent or most in key positions usually wins with rare exceptions. And why they are called upsets.
Which fits with what I said, and why I think it's misleading to suggest it was the coaches who couldn't win with another team. The circumstances and opportunity are more the issue than the coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You forgot Lombardi.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which fits with what I said, and why I think it's misleading to suggest it was the coaches who couldn't win with another team. The circumstances and opportunity are more the issue than the coach.
Yes, we can agree it’s not about the coach which is my bigger point.

The NFL is talent driven. Good coaching can elevate to a point like we saw Parcells do here in 2003 but in the end it’s not enough without the talent.

Great coaching assembles the talent which can win it for the coach.

That’s why at the collegiate level the famed big schools have the advantage cause of the recruiting. They are getting the bulk of the talent.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Yes, we can agree it’s not about the coach which is my bigger point.

The NFL is talent driven. Good coaching can elevate to a point like we saw Parcells do here in 2003 but in the end it’s not enough without the talent.

Great coaching assembles the talent which can win it for the coach.

That’s why at the collegiate level the famed big schools have the advantage cause of the recruiting. They are getting the bulk of the talent.
I will be so happy when the day comes that the Parcells tenure in Dallas is no longer held up as the greatest coaching job in Dallas since Jimmy. The man was a .500 coach with zero playoff wins. We really do need to aim higher

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I will be so happy when the day comes that the Parcells tenure in Dallas is no longer held up as the greatest coaching job in Dallas since Jimmy. The man was a .500 coach with zero playoff wins. We really do need to aim higher
Basing Parcells job here on only his record is short sighted.

He resurrected our franchise from its lowest point in post Jimmy era after 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons with solid drafts that placed us in position to contend again.