Cut down in 8 days

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Deuce to do well last season and this preseason as well, but he just hasn't shown the ability to break tackles like Sproles did.

Sproles excelled because he was quick, shifty and hard to tackle. Deuce has shown he can be quick and shifty, but he has so far not shown he can break tackles once someone gets their hands on him.

The other running backs bring more to the table than he does right now from both the short/hard yardage runs as well as protecting the quarterback.

I am not saying they should release him, but I really think they should push him to the PS this season until/unless he earns a spot on the active roster.

rambo2

Reaction score
I suspect that Snoop and Fehoko will not make the team. I think Deuce will make the team. I think that Freeman is good enough to make the team, but they are giving the spot to Zeke. I like Luepke a lot and they need to give him touches in the offense.

I also like Flournoy a lot. He is a big physical receiver.

rambo2

Reaction score
I wanted Deuce to do well last season and this preseason as well, but he just hasn't shown the ability to break tackles like Sproles did.

Sproles excelled because he was quick, shifty and hard to tackle.

The other running backs bring more to the table than he does right now from both the short/hard yardage runs as well as protecting the quarterback.

I am not saying they should release him, but I really think they should push him to the PS this season.
They should play him is what they should do.

Bagman

Reaction score
They should play him is what they should do.
Exactly! And not with 2 minutes left in a 40 pt blowout, either. Some meaningful touches in the first half of games. Get the guy the ball in space and watch what happens. He's a unique weapon that other, smarter teams are PRAYING that we release on cutdown day. Deuce would light up the scoreboard in SF, KC, Mia or even Philly. He needs touches and good play design but his skill set is very unique.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure if I really have a pet cat this year.
At first I thought Nate Peat, but since they have not been using him much. He seems destined for the PS.

So I may go with Freeman. As it seems it will be him or Deuce for the 3rd RB spot, if they keep 3.
They may go with 2 plus use Luepke when needed.

rambo2

Reaction score
Not sure if I really have a pet cat this year.
At first I thought Nate Peat, but since they have not been using him much. He seems destined for the PS.

So I may go with Freeman. As it seems it will be him or Deuce for the 3rd RB spot, if they keep 3.
They may go Woth 2 plus use Luepke when needed.
They seem to be hiding Peat.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like Rush could get cut.
He and a few other older vets like Sieg Could get cut. As that are not subject to waivers. So they have a handshake deal to return. Unless some amazing offer comes along.
So they will go to the PS then be called up. Or once roster moves are made, then signed back.

They have done this in the past with Rush and Sieg and others.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Sproles excelled because he was quick, shifty and hard to tackle. Deuce has shown he can be quick and shifty, but he has so far not shown he can break tackles once someone gets their hands on him.

I am not saying they should release him, but I really think they should push him to the PS this season until/unless he earns a spot on the active roster.
He had 5 carries for 34 yards with a 6.8 ypc. He was cutting on a dime and breaking tackles. He put on some muscle the offseason. I’m questioning on whether you watched the game on Saturday. No offense.

rambo2

Reaction score
He had 5 carries for 34 yards with a 6.8 ypc. He was cutting on a dime and breaking tackles. He put on some muscle the offseason. I’m questioning on whether you watched the game on Saturday. No offense.
He's going to make it. I think that they are going use him on kickoffs too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wanna see heavy doses of Peat and Deuce this weekend. Especially Deuce. Hes the type of rb that thrives with the more carries he gets. I think we have misused him woefully since he's been here. Lets find out once and for all what he is. PLAY HIM this week. The entire game, rotate him in. Mark this, if we get cute and try to stash him on the PS, a divisional rival will poach him. MM needs to take the restraints off the kid and let him have real reps with the ones for a complete half at least.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I watched and and I saw the plays where he had huge holes to run through that any running back could have done the same.

He was not breaking tackles though. He avoided tackles a couple of times by making great moves, which is why I already pointed out he is quick and shifty.

However, every time someone got their hands on him (not swiped at him as he ran by, but actually got their hands on him), his progress was stopped abruptly .. just like last season.

Vaughn is quick and shifty and when he can avoid getting touched, he can gets some yards.

That said, Sproles was great because he was frustratingly hard to tackle, not because he had long runs.

Sproles amazing runs came from breaking tackles that should have been for a loss or short gain that turned into 20+ yard runs.