Cut Jarwin even if Schultz walks?

fivetwos

Reaction score
They will draft a WR in round 1.
Don't joke.

They very well may remake that position and do that.

Hate to pile on, but don't discount jersey sales as a factor.

Don't forget Jerry had to be talked out of taking a HOF OL....he wanted a flashy QB.

Things may have changed a little, but not a lot.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Schultz can't block
Let him go
Take the comp pick
so what? blocking TEs are easy to find, plus if the TE is only good at blocking, then you are tipping your hand and defense becomes easier, since they can just bring extra defender into the box not fearing the TE going into routes.

now, if you can find one that's a good pass catcher and a blocker...then dial me up....those are the Kelce, Gronk and Kittle's of the world and all pros....

pass catching TEs put more pressure on a defense than a blocking TE. fix the middle of OL, and blocking issues go away. you can't fix our blocking issues with a blocking TE...the main problems remain

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Keep Schultz and cut Jarwin, he and TSmith always missing games. Fans who complain about Schultz' blocking should be complaining more about the blocking of our OL.....that was the problem. Schultz did his job on the passing game. Reliable receiver. I think McKeon might be ok, if he can stay on the field and not get injured.
I like Dalton as a pass catcher, but he’s a horrible blocker.Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger so he’s a better blocker and doesn’t get tackled w/ 2 fingers.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
so what? blocking TEs are easy to find, plus if the TE is only good at blocking, then you are tipping your hand and defense becomes easier, since they can just bring extra defender into the box not fearing the TE going into routes.

now, if you can find one that's a good pass catcher and a blocker...then dial me up....those are the Kelce, Gronk and Kittle's of the world and all pros....

pass catching TEs put more pressure on a defense than a blocking TE. fix the middle of OL, and blocking issues go away. you can't fix our blocking issues with a blocking TE...the main problems remain
You misunderstood me
Looking for a tight end that can do both
Not breaking the bank for an one dimensional tight end.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You misunderstood me
Looking for a tight end that can do both
Not breaking the bank for an one dimensional tight end.
I am not sure if any are available in FA this year. schultz is cream of the crop.

draft is too far away and I rather spend high picks to fix OL and perhaps we find one in lower rounds.get lucky like Kittle

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
Yes.

NOW is when you draft a 2nd round TE......not THREE times when you already have a HOF TE on your roster.

Umm no. Wayyy too many holes on this roster (at way more important positions) to be drafting a TE in the 2nd.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm just thinking Dallas could use that cap space during free agency to sign a couple of key free agents.....ah who am I kidding Jones isn't signing anyone lol

You're probably right haha

They sign free agents to fill holes and act as bridge players, sign our best players to extensions, and sign our guys if they come real cheap. They can use Jarwin's money on some other team's free agent TE, or keep Jarwin and hope he shows the promise they saw in him when they gave him the contract in the first place. The bonus with Jarwin is that if he turns it around, we have his rights for another year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It sounds as if Schultz is more than likely signing elsewhere, leaving Blake Jarwin, Sean McKeon as the only Tight Ends on the roster in 2022. Jeremy Sprinkle will be a free agent as well.

Jarwin will count $5.8 million against the cap in 2022 and releasing him would free up about $4 million in cap space.

Should Dallas release him? He's literally done nothing (mainly because he can't stay healthy) since he signed that extension after a big finish in the 2019 season. But even when healthy in 2021, he didn't produce much.

Dallas will be extremely thin at TE even with Jarwin on the roster.

But I don't see how he can be relied upon.

I think cutting him, creating more cap space, drafting a TE in Round 4 or earlier and signing a Free Agent, would be the best roster moves.
2022 NFL Free Agency is load with young better TEs. Renegotiate Jarwin and sign a OJ Howard, David Njoku, or Mike Gesicki. Add a TE rounds 5-7.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not if schultz leaves. We will still need depth possibly. Were going to be down several options at wr maybe jarwin and a new TE can help alleviate the loss of some of the wr's. Whatever new wr's we bring in along with a new TE might need more time than jarwin to mesh with dak. What are we saving money for? there is plenty of ways to make room to sign whomever stephen wants so that is no excuse. I'd rather keep schultz and bring in a young kid but maybe they keep jarwin and bring in a rook.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Tough call for Pop & son. Schulz improved on his career numbers from 2020 w/78 catches for 808 yards & eight TD's last season. He finished third in catches, sixth in yards, & fifth in TDs among all NFL TE's in 2021.

Dallas now has to decide if they want to re-sign Schultz to a new deal in the difficult salary cap situation. Schultz will only walk if doesn't get re-signed. That's a no brainer.

elcowboi

Reaction score
Would it even honestly matter if they both stayed or left?