Cut Mike White

Altestic

Reaction score
No, that is what you are preferring. I wonder why? :huh:

Please tell us all.
Because 7-9 or 8-8 is football purgatory. You never get better in the long run that way, and you never get a chance to win anything significant because you always miss the playoffs. Those three 8-8 years in a row set the Cowboys much farther back long term than if they had gone 4-12 those years.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because 7-9 or 8-8 is football purgatory. You never get better in the long run that way, and you never get a chance to win anything significant because you always miss the playoffs. Those three 8-8 years in a row set the Cowboys much farther back long term than if they had gone 4-12 those years.
Those 8-8 records landed us drafting middle-to-late in each round of the draft. Lots of good Cowboys players have been picked up in the middle-to-late part of the 1st round.

fishspill

Reaction score
I don’t see Tannehill getting released as his team needs a good backup QB as much as the Cowboys do. McCown would have been a good option but Philly got in on that one. Just need a guy that can hold down the fort and go .500 if Dak misses a month, and I don’t see CRush being a guy that can do that yet. I thought he’s looked okay this preseason though.

Altestic

Reaction score
Those 8-8 records landed us drafting middle-to-late in each round of the draft. Lots of good Cowboys players have been picked up in the middle-to-late part of the 1st round.
Middle-to-late just isn't good. Especially when you're not a playoff team.

We got lucky with Zack Martin and Frederick, but generally you don't in those situations. Who else on the board in those specific drafts would have helped us? If we had gone 4-12 instead maybe we could have had Lane Johnson and Khalil Mack instead, which are better though not significantly better, it just tells you what kind of talent you end up with when you sit on 3-4 win seasons for awhile. Look at the Browns today.

Oh and I forgot... let's not forget that one of those years led us to cough up major draft value to reach for .......Morris Claiborne of all people.

staubach24

Reaction score
Agreed. Mike White needs to go asap.

Question: If Dak were to go down with a lengthy injury, could Cooper Rush carry the offense?
No. And that is why Dak is holding out for so much money. Because as long as there is not a credible backup on this team, Dak has JJ over a barrel as far as negotiations go.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Middle-to-late just isn't good. Especially when you're not a playoff team.

We got lucky with Zack Martin and Frederick, but generally you don't in those situations. Who else on the board in those specific drafts would have helped us? If we had gone 4-12 instead maybe we could have had Lane Johnson and Khalil Mack instead, which are better though not significantly better, it just tells you what kind of talent you end up with when you sit on 3-4 win seasons for awhile. Look at the Browns today.

Oh and I forgot... let's not forget that one of those years led us to cough up major draft value to reach for .......Morris Claiborne of all people.
Zack Martin, Frederick, LVE and Taco were mid-to-late 1st round picks. I included Taco since he suddenly is starting to show signs of major improvement so far this year.

As you mentioned, ClaiBURNED was a total waste of 2 costly picks to move up inside the top 10. Tyron Smith has been a very good blindside O-Tackle, but he's constantly dealing with a reaccuring lower back injury. Zeke is the only other player drafted inside the Top 10 overall picks who has played like a stud, but he's now used that to holdout and hold our team hostage while demanding a new contract that would make him the richest RB in the league, even though he has 2 years left on his current rookie contract. The Cowboys have done better drafting during the middle-to-late 1st round than inside the Top 10.

Altestic

Reaction score
Zack Martin, Frederick, LVE and Taco were mid-to-late 1st round picks. I included Taco since he suddenly is starting to show signs of major improvement so far this year.

As you mentioned, ClaiBURNED was a total waste of 2 costly picks to move up inside the top 10. Tyron Smith has been a very good blindside O-Tackle, but he's constantly dealing with a reaccuring lower back injury. Zeke is the only other player drafted inside the Top 10 overall picks who has played like a stud, but he's now used that to holdout and hold our team hostage while demanding a new contract that would make him the richest RB in the league, even though he has 2 years left on his current rookie contract. The Cowboys have done better drafting during the middle-to-late 1st round than inside the Top 10.
Tyron wasn't a mid to late round pick, he was an early-early mid round pick because of the lost 2010 that Garrett won a few too many games late in the year with Kitna.

Charlton is garbage, and I knew so before the 2017 draft. He was the ONE player I didn't want to draft and they drafted him of all people. Even if he makes the team it won't be for long, if he stays the whole season he gets cut next year or traded for some conditional 7th. Complete bust.

I would have picked Ramsey over Zeke, but they were in win now mode with Romo and still had remorse over losing Murray

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron wasn't a mid to late round pick, he was an early-early mid round pick because of the lost 2010 that Garrett won a few too many games late in the year with Kitna.

Charlton is garbage, and I knew so before the 2017 draft. He was the ONE player I didn't want to draft and they drafted him of all people. Even if he makes the team it won't be for long, if he stays the whole season he gets cut next year or traded for some conditional 7th. Complete bust.

I would have picked Ramsey over Zeke, but they were in win now mode with Romo and still had remorse over losing Murray
I never said Tyron was a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Actually, I included Tyron in the same paragraph talking about Top 10 overall picks, including Morris ClaiBURNED.

Altestic

Reaction score
I never said Tyron was a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Actually, I included Tyron in the same paragraph talking about Top 10 overall picks, including Morris ClaiBURNED.
Just wish we had Kris Richard on the team back then to kick some sense into player evaluation and management. Small corners like Claibum and Dee Milliner just don't last long in the league, due to injuries or just not being good enough to match the big and talented receivers of the NFL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just wish we had Kris Richard on the team back then to kick some sense into player evaluation and management. Small corners like Claibum and Dee Milliner just don't last long in the league, due to injuries or just not being good enough to match the big and talented receivers of the NFL.
Agreed.

Them

Reaction score
..I had a few hopes for White...but not anymore...and Rush is barely adequate...they need a veteran BU...but who?...and at what cost?...it's a position of weakness at the moment...IMO

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We are obviously not going to cut Mike White just yet, we have 2 more preseason games to get through. But yeah, his days are certainly numbered.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hate to say it and it's really disappointing, but White just has not developed at all and shows no sign getting any better.

There is no point in putting him on the 53 man roster.

White seems unable to process quickly enough, or simply too tentative.

When a contrast with Cooper Rush leaves you looking bad, you're in trouble. But the contrast was big. Cooper came in, dropped back, planted his feet, and fired.

Kitna talks about "letting it rip". White just can't let it go.

mmohican29

Reaction score
So you would prefer Cooper Rush over Tannehill (if he's released)?

I get what he's saying.

If the season is probably lost losing your starting QB for 8 weeks or more- give me the unknown w/personnel and playbook knowledge vs someone proven not to be able to win games.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
If you lose Dak for a long time, then it’s better to tank. But if we need someone to step in for say 2 games, I would take tannehill

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Hate to say it and it's really disappointing, but White just has not developed at all and shows no sign getting any better.

There is no point in putting him on the 53 man roster.

He's not going to make the 53 as I think the Cowboys go with only two Qb's this year but I do think White will be on the practice squad..

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
There is 1 vet similar to Dak...Colin Kap, but I dont think thats gonna happen here lol