Cutting Jaylon Smith (cost and cap numbers)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Smith isn’t as non-expendable as people think.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/10/06/dallas-cowboys-jaylon-smith-is-more-expendable-than-you-think/

The article is 3 months old. Side note, the variable y-axis is a weird choice.

Xwv6Zlv.png

Carter

Reaction score
To be fair he had a very good Pro Bowl Season in a simplistic 4-3 base scheme with atleast average DT Play and a healthy LVE.

Quinn is known for a basis easy 4-3 scheme.

This season he had neither as the DT were the worst in the league letting every Backup RB look like Barry Sanders and LVE was out or injured most of the season.

Add to that this new complex defensive scheme from Nolan which apparently neither Defende really get as they didnt have a full offseason to adjust.

He just terrible in open field tackling if the RB gets to the 2nd Phase and makes bonheaded decisions when left on an island.

He did have a lot of Tackles and was good pressuring the QB. So if we can use this and take him out of the Spotlight and just let him Rush the QB from the Weakside he should still be okay

Carter

Reaction score
My guess is they will see if we works out under Dan Quinn with hopefully better DTs and better / healthy LB partners and if not they cut him after next season when he as serviceable deadmoney hit

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He won't be cut this offseason, he's the pet cat of ownership. We'll have to endure one more season of his horrid play. Hopefully no more than that.
Jaylon wont be going anywhere, and the stat lovers here should be endorsing him, not packing his bags... right stat lovers
JS finished 6th overall at LB with ...
80 solos
5 tackles for loss
64 assists
1 int
1.5 sacks
5 passes defensed
So who can be the first stat lover to respond to this with the glaring issue?

cristglo

Reaction score
Here's the thing, the pro-Jaylon crowd says Jaylon is too valuable to cut and back that up with stats like the number of tackles he racks up. It's true, Jaylon has among the highest total in tackles in the league. It's undeniable.

But where is he making these tackles in relation to the line of scrimmage? This is what Jaylon fans don't understand. Most of his tackles are made 5 to 6 yards deep on his side of the line of scrimmage. This matters!

Its not that some think he is all pro its that he would have dead money and it would cost us to cut him. You would still have to go out and get another player. If you go out and look at his previous season Jaylon faired well in the 4-3 def when he played close to the line of scrimmage. Quinn will use him on special blitz packages and he will be ok. Im not saying that Jaylon will become all pro next year but he wont be as bad as he was last year.

cristglo

Reaction score
The problem is that you still would need a LB. Sure, he's struggled but paying eating up $9.4 million of cap space for him NOT to play for you seems a bit foolish. I think it would make more sense to maybe keep him around one more year under a new DC, if he sucks again, then cut him. I'd also not worry about him or LVE when it comes to the draft - LB should be considered one of many needs we have heading into the 2021 draft.

At this point, I am indifferent on what they do with him, but from a financial perspective, in a year where our cap is gonna be tight, I am not sure it makes sense to eat up that much cap space and then have to go out and find another LB in FA or the draft, and essentially them over $10 million in cap space (Smiths dead money hit + whatever you pay a new LB to replace him).
If I could hit the like button several more times I would! :)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
True, but Jerry will insist he starts.

There's no other explanation for running a guy like that out there.

I mean.....not being a playmaker is one thing, but this guy is actually a liability. He makes the team worse.

How is it that most fans see it but the staff cannot.

The results suggest we are right. Really, what else gives?
they may see it , but cant do anything about it, and afraid to say anything about it.

Same deal with elliot, they gave him one game off, pollard did good, and next week it was ewok back in there with pollard being minimized more than usual.
That is why coaching here is not a good deal, except for the money. Several coaches have turned jerry down.

Jipper

Reaction score
He’s good downhill at attacking the run straight on or rushing the passer, anything lateral or coverage and he’s crap.

There is still value in him but it’s mostly situational and he is a coverage liability when on the field....however I think he gets another year and will probably play better this year due to both better players around him (hopefully) and being used in situations where his skill set is more appropriate

MyFairLady

Reaction score
They were openly saying dez needed to get better and bringing up paycuts. They havent said one even close to negative thing about jaylon
This is the difference between guaranteed money and non guaranteed. Jaylon is guaranteed next year so the front office tip toes around him praying that he will start to play well. They have no leverage at all.

stiletto

Reaction score
Jaylon wont be going anywhere, and the stat lovers here should be endorsing him, not packing his bags... right stat lovers
JS finished 6th overall at LB with ...
80 solos
5 tackles for loss
64 assists
1 int
1.5 sacks
5 passes defensed
So who can be the first stat lover to respond to this with the glaring issue?

6% of his tackles for loss? I am not a stats guy but I kinda feel like that is the worst in history for a linebacker. LOL Wonder how many tackles are 5+ yards down the field. Bet that looks better.

kskboys

Reaction score
True, but Jerry will insist he starts.

There's no other explanation for running a guy like that out there.

I mean.....not being a playmaker is one thing, but this guy is actually a liability. He makes the team worse.

How is it that most fans see it but the staff cannot.

The results suggest we are right. Really, what else gives?
He's just so awkward out there.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Jaylon will be back. Cap hit is too great and they'll give him another year to see how he works in the scheme.

The reality is that Jaylon's lack of lateral movement is a real problem for a LB. I could see him taking on a bit more of a LEO role on some plays in Quinn's defense where he can just go upfield. A guy like Parsons could really shift the playing field.

I really hope he can bounce back as she's shown he can be a great player; remember that two seasons ago, we were considered to have the best young LB core in the league with him and Mr. Idaho. Both of those guys have a lot to prove as LVE has his club option and Jaylon is on thin ice.

cern

Reaction score
Good in pass coverage. Good blitzing. Talk of cutting him, imo, is ludicrous. We still need a hitting machine lb which he is not. I'm more concerned about lve. Looks too tentative now. Can't play scared.