Cutting Jaylon Smith (cost and cap numbers)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This has been posted.....I don't think its gotten bad enough to where they'd cut Jaylon. The people who have a issue with Jaylon are some fans...based on what McCarthy and Jerry has been saying....they don't seem to mind him.

Many fan's issues with Jaylon is his personality and/or persona rubs some the wrong way, but you have to remember the number of personalities and characters MM, Jerry and Stephen are around from other players daily.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’m willing to give Jaylon a chance with Dan Quinn, exp given his cap implementations. That said.. some think he’s trash, and yes he’s a detriment in coverage, but hopefully Quinn can use him effectively. Jaylon has promise as a downhill LB regardless of what most think. It’s not rocket science.. coaches play a major part in a players success.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Flamma

Reaction score
His cap hit is 9.8 for 2021. If cut before the 5th day of the new "year" of 2021, his dead cap is 9.4mil.

This is how I see it as well. They don't have to keep him for 2021, but take a 9.4 mil cap hit. But he'll probably be here another year IMO. I don't mind keeping him another year. See how he does under better management. Hopefully better management.

John813

Reaction score
sounds like he maybe a post june 1 casualty if anything.....split the dead money between the two years.....what would be the savings on the cap if he was a post june 1st casualty....

Problem with a June 1st cut this or next year is that by then his base salary is guaranteed by then. Therefore any cut would be salary+prorated cap hit for that year and then the following year its the accelerated remaining prorated bonuses.

So this year would be:
7.2mil base + 2.6mil prorated SB dead cap
Next year would be
2.6mil+2.6mil+1.6mil=6.8mil dead

If he was a june 1st cut

If cut in first 4 days of new season:
9.4 mil dead in 21
0 dead in 22

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The LB's will start looking a lot better if/when Dallas ever improves the D-Line.

He'll be on the field for 2021. That's still a lot of dead money if the cut him now.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Smith isn’t as non-expendable as people think.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/10/06/dallas-cowboys-jaylon-smith-is-more-expendable-than-you-think/
I'd cut his *** and go with an un-proven Backer, he/she can't be any worse then JS. It's not like this club is going anywhere next season, might as well take a beating next year, while at the same time picking 1 or 2 in the 2022 NFL Draft. Let's tank in style.......................

flyinghorse

Reaction score
Agree with most everyone else....I don’t see Jaylon going anywhere anytime soon. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his football skills JJ really likes him (overcomeing that injury most wouldn’t have made it back from....his foundation work in Dallas etc )...and you know what that means if JJ likes you. That’s the way he is and always has been.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Smith isn’t as non-expendable as people think.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/10/06/dallas-cowboys-jaylon-smith-is-more-expendable-than-you-think/

As always, any cap hit pending for Jaylon based on bonuses already paid is all sunk cost. All we can do is push it between years, trading it off with cap hits due to other players.

What we *can* avoid is adding another penny to Jaylon's cumulative cap hit. We *can* avoid his salary of 7.2mil for next year. And should.

The Spotrac calculation for when you can cut a player is bogus. All it does is see if you net a net cap hit for the year for a pre June 1st cut. Whether that's positive or negative, it doesn't tell you whether it's worth keeping the player.

Overthecap also has the numbers for post June 1st release, and trade cap hit pre and post June 1st. But whichever number you'r looking at, the Dead Cap for this year has to be accounted for, now and in the future, whether we keep Jaylon for next year of not.

Dead cap is dead. Sunk cost. It's not a consideration unless you're really up against the cap,and if you are, you're screwed anyway.

ultron

Reaction score
Smith isn’t going anywhere- dude played almost double the snaps as DLaw, imagine if he got that kind of rest..

king987

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think Jaylon is getting cut. I think they'll give it one more year.

That said, this team would be absolutely foolish if they think they can go into next season depending on Jaylon. For every impressive play he made this season, there were ten plays where he was a liability. And to be honest? That's probably an understatement!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don’t think he gets cut and the fact we’re bringing in Quinn to run a scheme similar to what we ran under Maranelli likely means the team will try and recapture the magic of 2018. Problem is Jaylon struggled in 2019 under the same scheme so it’s likely mot going to change.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
He gets one more season to play under Quinn. See if Quinn can help him improve.

if not. Bye bye.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I could handle his ridiculous antics if he was actually a good LB. His terrible play on the field makes his antics intolerable.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
No question he stays until the cap hit is palatable. Gives us another year of endless thread on him.
I get it but sometimes its addition by subtraction. JS got paid and has not performed (the last 2 years) esp. for the $$ he's making. It has to be real hard to be a coach and look the rest of the defense in the eye (esp. after watching film) and tell them to step up when their defensive leader #54 and also #25 are running around on the field as starters with little to no effectiveness. If either got let go tomorrow, they both would be sitting next year.
All that said, if the coaches could find an effective defensive position for #54 where he just run straight, they may have something. Good luck and in the meantime, find his replacement and start sitting them both because they are just taking up space.

kumizi

Reaction score
He'd be 50/50 to be cut this offseason on most teams.

I'd say he's got about a 10% chance of being cut on a team owned and run by Jerry Jones.