News: CW: Can Cowboys WR Simi Fehoko take over Noah Brown's role?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Laughing...that's the extent of my confidence in Simi.
I certainly have no confidence in him, he had a grand total of 3 catches for 24 yards last season and that was with Michael Gallup out the first few games. We ended up having to bring in TY Hilton. I would caution any fan not to get excited about Fehoko. I really don’t know how anyone could after last season. It’s not like he didn’t have a great opportunity. No one was excited about our receiver group entering the season, so everyone had a chance.

ghst187

Reaction score
If we draft another one I’m not sure Semi will make it the final 53

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They already converted him from TE to WR. Now you want him to go back?
Simi Fehoko has never practiced or played TE with the Cowboys. He's always been a WR. Exactly a year ago (February 2022), an article came out stating McCarthy wanted Fehoko to gain a little weight and muscle in hopes of trying Fehoko as a hybrid (both WR and TE) type of receiver, but that never happened.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/25/simi-fehoko-bigger-role-cowboys-offense-2022/

2022 Training Camp, Preseason and Regular Season, Fehoko was used at WR once again. This article below solidifies how Simi Fehoko was used only as a WR once again during training camp and preseason of 2022.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...r-preseason-jerry-jones-camp-rumor-roster-cut

I can't find anywhere where Simi Fehoko was ever used as a TE.

Motorola

Reaction score
I certainly have no confidence in him, he had a grand total of 3 catches for 24 yards last season and that was with Michael Gallup out the first few games. We ended up having to bring in TY Hilton. I would caution any fan not to get excited about Fehoko. I really don’t know how anyone could after last season. It’s not like he didn’t have a great opportunity. No one was excited about our receiver group entering the season, so everyone had a chance.
To be somewhat objective, Fehoko went on IR after game 5 for the rest of 2022. But he wasn't making an impact\ was not impressive in his limited time on the field as a WR (36 snaps).
It appears training camp & preseason 2023 is a get-it-done or out-the-door scenario for this player.

Jarntt

Reaction score
IMO
as a receiver, no
as a blocker, no
as a STer, not sure but probably not

and none of that is me saying Noah Brown was all that good

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be somewhat objective, Fehoko went on IR after game 5 for the rest of 2022. But he wasn't making an impact\ was not impressive in his limited time on the field as a WR (36 snaps).
It appears training camp & preseason 2023 is a get-it-done or out-the-door scenario for this player.
Although he went on IR after game 5 he was given a real good opportunity in training camp and preseason. With Gallop not being ready to start the season and James Washington going down during our first training camp practice Fehoko couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity. They’ll be a lot of competition this summer in training camp because I don’t believe the Cowboys are done at WR.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Answering the thread title question... not with that man bun.

photo.jpg

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Take over what role? Being the worst WR on the team? He will have to fight Tolbert for that this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Simi improves (vastly) and show WR in the same sense as Noah Brown, that would be terrific as he has more physical tools to work with
than Noah Brown who himself did improve mightily as a pure receiver.

If Simi can show on special teams, as Noah did for several years, then that would add to even more to it.
Someone has to do the dirty work at special teams,.. blocker-protector, kick coverage gunner, etc.

But I don't want to just hand Simi a roster spot free and clear non-compete.
I'd like him scratching, scraping and showing up strong in camp, preseason and even reg.season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. He was a 5th rounder and his role is on special teams and back up WR. He wasn't drafted with the idea he would be a starter. Yeah it would be really nice if he turned into one. But breaking into the starting lineup or not won't be the determining factor in moving on from him. The Cowboys aren't going to put Lamb, Gallup or Cooks on specials teams. Someone has to fill those roles.
This is what some did to noah brown too. "He better step up or else" and when cowboys forced the issue they called him garbage.
Cowboys didnt draft either to go high on the wr depth chart.

Motorola

Reaction score
If Simi improves (vastly) and show WR in the same sense as Noah Brown, that would be terrific as he has more physical tools to work with
than Noah Brown who himself did improve mightily as a pure receiver.

If Simi can show on special teams, as Noah did for several years, then that would add to even more to it.
Someone has to do the dirty work at special teams,.. blocker-protector, kick coverage gunner, etc.

But I don't want to just hand Simi a roster spot free and clear non-compete.
I'd like him scratching, scraping and showing up strong in camp, preseason and even reg.season.
Feheko will definitely will be scratching and clawing in upcoming OTAs, training camp, and preseason - going against Tolbert, and the certain WR draftee. (What round ...1st / 3rd / 5th?)

Also, some players lower on the WR depth chart - Antonio Callaway, Dontario Drummond, and Dennis Houston - will be fending off rookie UDFAs to retain their spots on the practice squad.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
There is no evidence to suggest he is anything but a JAG right now. If this franchise is depending upon him to awaken then we are in more trouble than ever...

KDM256

Reaction score
Unless he becomes Jerry Rice Jr in the preseason, I don't see him getting out of training camp this upcoming season.

Funny because a lot of CZers were pretty high on this guy coming out of Stanford

quickccc

Reaction score
Feheko will definitely will be scratching and clawing in upcoming OTAs, training camp, and preseason - going against Tolbert, and the certain WR draftee. (What round ...1st / 3rd / 5th?)

Also, some players lower on the WR depth chart - Antonio Callaway, Dontario Drummond, and Dennis Houston - will be fending off rookie UDFAs to retain their spots on the practice squad.
And Brandon Smith ...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
-------Can Cowboys WR Simi Fehoko take over Noah-Browns-role?

OMG....really? What role similar to Brown would that be....stealing money for 5 years? .Setting up the opponent for a game winning TD with a perfect volleyball dig? This is one of the reasons we can't get over the hump.....refusal to CHURN THE DAMN ROSTER when its a Booger and Chuckles draftee!!! The dude is JAG....at best.
Why are you taking a writers opinion, and hyperventilating like this is the team's view?

cowboyed

Reaction score
Simi isn't the most exquisite route runner. As a wider receiver he does have tight end type size and he is fast but it is pretty much straight-line speed. Dak apparently doesn't have him in his backyard catching passes like some of the other receivers. That's my impression and I wish I was wrong because I personally liked the guy coming out of Stanford and hoped he would make a mark with our Cowboys. Perhaps it is not too late if given more receiving opportunities but he is special on special teams.