News: CW: Gerald McCoy announces retirement; Cowboys DL still in flux after brief 2020 tenure

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fact they traded for Hankins last year indicates they are starting to get it....if they spend a top 3 round pick this year I will be ecstatic
I like Hanskins but we’ve seen them attempt to addresss that position with similar moves in the past. Henry Melton, Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy……….to me the difference between those moves and Hanskins is he worked.

I’d still like for them to address that position and have a young guy there for 4 years….

Big_D

Reaction score
That’s what 10 years of doing nothing at DT gets you. The position prior to McCarthy was an afterthought. At least this regime keeps churning players and not just ignoring the position altogether!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
450.jpg

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
That’s what 10 years of doing nothing at DT gets you. The position prior to McCarthy was an afterthought. At least this regime keeps churning players and not just ignoring the position altogether!
We will see this draft rounds 1-3 it is basically a must draft.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
DT has to be a top 3 pick right? Benton and Ika are there for the taking. I would also grab another guy later on. TE, DT, G and RB first four picks in no particular order. Stromberg is a no brainer if there. Bigsby could be had. Washington could be had with a trade down. It really is set up for them. So easy a Caveman can do it.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
DT has to be a top 3 pick right? Benton and Ika are there for the taking. I would also grab another guy later on. TE, DT, G and RB first four picks in no particular order. Stromberg is a no brainer if there. Bigsby could be had. Washington could be had with a trade down. It really is set up for them. So easy a Caveman can do it.
i’m hoping some qbs drop to us and someone offers us a haul drop back so they can come up and get someone. that will allow us to address the DL with out reaching. but who knows maybe they have a fredrick level guy and they just jump on him at 26. i mean everyone scratched there heads when we did that. and that turned out great. same could be said for tyler smith last year.

ghst187

Reaction score
I just don’t like any of the guys in this drafts, esp at the expense of potentially missing out on a playmaker. I think most of the guys in this draft like Mazi and the Baylor kid have high bust potential. Let’s not forget we did draft Bohanna for the reason of getting a fatty in the middle and he hasn’t worked out so they are renting Hankins. I wished they had gone and gotten Robinson instead. Totally agree with the need at DL, just don’t like the guys in this draft. Intrigued by Kancy but wouldn’t touch most of the rest.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
i’m hoping some qbs drop to us and someone offers us a haul drop back so they can come up and get someone. that will allow us to address the DL with out reaching. but who knows maybe they have a fredrick level guy and they just jump on him at 26. i mean everyone scratched there heads when we did that. and that turned out great. same could be said for tyler smith last year.
To be clear I am hoping they grab a guy that can play C and G. QB is a toughie. I definitely want them to draft a guy in each of the next 2 years. If McKee was there at 2/3 I think you might have to do it. Dugan from TCU could be a late grab. Maybe AO from Purdue late. I like that. Next year QB might be their top pick if Dak falls short again. Roster is pretty good with a couple glaring holes like DT and TE that need to be filled. Let’s see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The fact they traded for Hankins last year indicates they are starting to get it....if they spend a top 3 round pick this year I will be ecstatic
I won't. We've been throwing third-rounders at the spot for a long-time now. It hasn't worked. Maybe we'll finally get lucky, but for me, if there is a DT worth taking in the first, then it's time to invest in that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Complete waste of a signing. He was retired wayyyyy before we signed him
Poe was the retired one. Was interested in a paycheck, not effort.

McCoy came with an injury that we knew about and even set up his contract around. He tried to go and it gave out on him. Just another example of the Joneses trying to fix the DTs the cheap way.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I just don’t like any of the guys in this drafts, esp at the expense of potentially missing out on a playmaker. I think most of the guys in this draft like Mazi and the Baylor kid have high bust potential. Let’s not forget we did draft Bohanna for the reason of getting a fatty in the middle and he hasn’t worked out so they are renting Hankins. I wished they had gone and gotten Robinson instead. Totally agree with the need at DL, just don’t like the guys in this draft. Intrigued by Kancy but wouldn’t touch most of the rest.
Kancy definitely. Bresee maybe. Trade down slightly and take Tuipulotu.

Just would like to see a concerted effort, instead of it's the third round, what do you got? Of course, a concerted effort brought us Trysten Hill, but that was us trying to be cute and outsmart everyone. Dallas needs to identify the targets and work the draft to draft them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But they wont. Hankins was just cheap enough to obtain. He wasnt even a priority signing. Glad we got him back but this FO still doesnt value the run stuffer more than an average kicker.