News: CW: Kiper's new Top 25 board infers Cowboys may be reaching if they draft defense at No. 10

JBond

Reaction score
It makes sense when you have so many offensive weapons.

Pitts will not be the #1, #2, or #3 option on 95% of the plays called.

A generational talent that will be under utilized doesn't make sense.

A defensive player that will play every down and be a force on defense that makes the team better, that makes sense.
What if we trade Gallup for a third?

12+88=7

Reaction score

I rather the team next year move on from Cooper and resign Gallup. When the team didn't restructure Cooper this year, it maybe signaling that.

This would have Lamb as the #1 and Gallup as the #2 at a reduced cap cost, probably at least 10 million in savings on the difference.

You could have Wilson step up, we'll see this year. Or draft another WR, they seem to be plentiful every year.

jay94

Reaction score
He would be on Dallas.

#1 option is Elliott.
#2 option will be your 20 million dollar WR.
#3 option will be Lamb or Gallup.

Dallas has 1000 plays, half are runs. You now have 500 plays. The WRs will probably see 350 of those targets. The RBs another 50. The TEs get the remaining 100, but there are 3 of them. Pitts sees about 50 targets or an average of 3 a game.

Let's use the 10th pick in the draft on a player that will not elevate a top 5 offense to #1. When I say #1, I mean points scored, not yards.

This is a mistake, Zeke is to average to be option 1. Also it's a passing league, and we have weapons we should be mimicking what other successful teams do in the league, running the ball is fine if you have the lead, this isn't the 90s.

Reactions: CWR

jay94

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is a surefire WR1. He is like any other WR dependent upon the defense played against him and who is throwing him the ball.
He runs the best routes on the team pretty easily and still has plus speed and strength.
He also displayed the best hands on the team last year.
You remove Amari from this team and it's offense craters.

Dak averages almost 60 yards per game passing more with Amari than without.

Shocker bigger deal than the most overrated player in the league being on the field.

CWR

Reaction score

Why would we do that? We'd probably do just as well to let him leave and get the comp. That way we would get another year of depth and production as well.

I'm not against trading him, but we should do better than a third imo.

CWR

Reaction score
I rather the team next year move on from Cooper and resign Gallup. When the team didn't restructure Cooper this year, it maybe signaling that.

This would have Lamb as the #1 and Gallup as the #2 at a reduced cap cost, probably at least 10 million in savings on the difference.

You could have Wilson step up, we'll see this year. Or draft another WR, they seem to be plentiful every year.

If the cap goes up, and with another 1k season you may not like Gallups price tag enough to keep this stance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Amari is a bit of a mirage. Everything you say is partially true (I’m not sure the team would crater not that we have Lamb). But Amari also sulks and disappears at times. That’s not an alpha male mentality. It also tends to get you beat when the game is on the line. Amari is more of a front runner.
Not sure where these ideas come from but they make little sense to me.
Amari joined us with the team in the literal dumps and immediately helped resurrect the offense mid-season and boost us back to respectable.
CeeDee was a true slot last year meaning he ran nearly 0 snaps outside at the X or Y WR positions.
He was easily the best rookie slot WR even with the back up QBs.
He might develop into an outside guy but he isn't today. Today he is about as good as slot as you can find anywhere. Leading the NFL at one point last year in yards receiving versus zone coverage out of the slot.

Michael Gallup is an outside only WR. He is a deep threat who you want to get matched up in 1v1's then attack with him. A bit boom or bust on plays the ones he make are huge and lead to scores.
Both Gallup and Lamb suffered high drop rates but offer huge play potential and scare defenses.

Amari plays all 3 WR positions and draws the strongest coverage yet still excels and offers the best hands and route running.
Amari has obviously peaked. And he makes a lot of money but he is also only 26.
No reason to suspect he falls off anytime soon.

Without Amari this offense becomes far less dynamic. Not helpless because it now has talent but far more predictable.

There is zero reason to mess with this WR corps for 2-3 years. Try to extend Gallup now and keep this group together.
They could very well be the best offense in football the next 2-3 years with one more high quality OL added.

Go to work on this moribund defense which has missed on too many draft picks, FA additions and used precious little capital in the draft or cap resources to go get proven guys.

Creeper

Reaction score
Plenty of quality CB's in the second round the same round they got Diggs.

If Pitts is there at #10 you have to take him.

I have run through a bunch of mock drafts and every time Pitts is available at 10, and I look around to see who else is there, I cannot avoid taking Pitts. He is clearly the best player available when he drops to 10. Unless Sewell drops with him, Pitts has to be the choice. But I just don't see how those two players get past the 9 teams drafting before Dallas.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I have run through a bunch of mock drafts and every time Pitts is available at 10, and I look around to see who else is there, I cannot avoid taking Pitts. He is clearly the best player available when he drops to 10. Unless Sewell drops with him, Pitts has to be the choice. But I just don't see how those two players get past the 9 teams drafting before Dallas.
If he's so good why would he drop to 10?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is a mistake, Zeke is to average to be option 1. Also it's a passing league, and we have weapons we should be mimicking what other successful teams do in the league, running the ball is fine if you have the lead, this isn't the 90s.
You have to be able to run the ball to pass the ball.

Creeper

Reaction score
If he's so good why would he drop to 10?

I don't think he will drop, but if he does, it would be for the same reasons players drop every year. The teams drafting in the top 9 will choose other players based on positional needs. Also, some teams may not be willing to use a top 9 pick on a TE.

As I have been saying, Sewell, Chase, and Pitts are the only non-QBs in this draft who should be considered "sure things". Even if 5 QBs go in the first 5 picks, these 3 guys will go in the next 3 or 4, with perhaps Chase being the one to drop out of the top 10 simply because the draft is deep in WRs. But after Chase's pro-day I doubt he will drop out of the top 10 either.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don't think he will drop, but if he does, it would be for the same reasons players drop every year. The teams drafting in the top 9 will choose other players based on positional needs. Also, some teams may not be willing to use a top 9 pick on a TE.

As I have been saying, Sewell, Chase, and Pitts are the only non-QBs in this draft who should be considered "sure things". Even if 5 QBs go in the first 5 picks, these 3 guys will go in the next 3 or 4, with perhaps Chase being the one to drop out of the top 10 simply because the draft is deep in WRs. But after Chase's pro-day I doubt he will drop out of the top 10 either.
Need? NEED? i was told teams dont do that. :muttley: so if other teams can do it why cant we say we dont need a tight end?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade out, take a 1st next year in case we need a (what ever we want next year)

75boyz

Reaction score
I mean this is the same Scouting Dept/Front Office whose grades on Morris Claiborne was as the best college corner since Deion...

I mean, I just started there. If a list is needed to point out the fundamental disconnect between the pairing of the Defensive Scouting department's grades and it's correlation to both scheme and coaching then there's a lot of not paying attention going on here.

I mean really who is there?

Ware, right?

Does Byron get an honorable mention...I mean, maybe.

I can make a substantial list of offensive personnel and even some pretty decent FA acquisions(I know, imagine that, impact free agents, lol) whose performances while here, by the numbers, grade out significantly higher than the vast majority of scrubs selected or acquired by FA on defense over like say, 10 to 20 years.

But...
This ain't saying I don't wanna dominant dee. Far from it.

I just don't think the defensive Scouting, Front Office and Coaching communication lines operate in synch. And I don't think they have since Parcells left.

And I don't see it changing.

And "why" I want Sewell/Slater over corners and Pitts.

At the very LEAST this team has shown to be able to pick, coach and develop first rd o linemen. They have shown to actually be good at it the last decade so I'm operating from that perspective.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
Need? NEED? i was told teams dont do that. :muttley: so if other teams can do it why cant we say we dont need a tight end?

Of course other teams do it. Does anyone think the 49ers traded up to take a TE? or a RB? They need a QB and will take one. Just like all the other teams racing to the top of the draft order hoping to fill a need.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Of course other teams do it. Does anyone think the 49ers traded up to take a TE? or a RB? They need a QB and will take one. Just like all the other teams racing to the top of the draft order hoping to fill a need.
Oh I know this. Tell that to the bpa no matter what crowd.