News: CW: McCarthy's First Stand: How Cowboys HC will handle Lee, Bryant, Witten

blueblood70

Reaction score
McCarthy's First Stand: How Cowboys HC will handle Lee, Bryant, Witten

usatsi_13682861.jpg

There's a new era of Dallas Cowboys football coming in 2020. For the past 10 seasons, it was all about the right kind of guys (RKGs) under former head coach Jason Garrett. If Garrett liked a player...

Read Full Story
as much as that sounds like first stand its more important to decide om Dak, Amari, and Jones..Big fish that those decsions impact the draft and FA Lee, Witten , and dez not so much those at best will be backups and role players and if signed they have to understand to play nice and accept their low pay and low snap counts..they can contribute but if MM isnt sold on Dak, Amari, or Jones , He his Staff need to speak up and ask jerry for a bigger say in those decsions..the FTs and or the TT will need to be used if MM doesnt feel fully sold on either.. he ca Not start out his tenure with mistakes on big contracts at key positions, that wouldn't be fair, ie forcing players on him that at this pot have flexibility in contracts..

GMO415

Reaction score
Dump Lee, Witten, and don't give Dez a second thought. Stop being an average team. Let's move on to bring a great one.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What does McCarthy have to do with personnel decisions?

He was hired to enhance the perception of legitimacy to the Cowboys coaching staff. Any special ability or skill he has in regards to maximizing talent will be swiftly neutralized by the slow corrosion of his authority....which is an illusion in the first place.

At some point he is going to come to the conclusion that he is nothing more than an employee that is expected to fall into step with Jerry Jones's agenda of demanding credit for any future success while being scapegoated for the more probable failure.

And here we go. One of the usuals that knows it all of how it really works. Or thinks they do anyway.
NFL teams are really different that a normal business rather you want to believe it or not.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm McCarthy and actually have a say in personnel, I let them all go and start over with just his guys or guys his staff really wants.
Make a statement to the team that no player has his spot held in place by the FO.

Will McClay said they will get their FA list and players and the draft board to players that this new coaching staff are looking for.
That tells me MM has some control and input on this.

Others believe different but so be it. And they will not accept this.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bring Lee back, he has accepted his role as a back up player and can start if needed. He is also willing to help the younger players and is like an extra coach on the field.

Witten, time to move on, unless as stated above, he can accept a 2nd or even 3rd team TE at times. Use inside the 10 if no other end zone threat emerges, which we do not have.

Which saying that, brings me to Dez. Can he be that end zone threat like he used to be. However, would he also be a progress stopper for a younger player, or use a roster spot for one. I would say if the draft a WR or even TE that can compete with him, then it will be good to give him a shot. But don't just hand him a 4th or 5th WR spot.

All in all the best option for the long run is to keep Lee, say no to Witten and Dez.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Draft/sign young players to fill in as depth. Witten, Lee and Dez will likely be available in August to get called up in case their is a need. I wouldn't go into camp with any of those guys.

johneric8

Reaction score
I honestly believe that if Dez is in good shape and motivated he could make us deadly as the 3rd or 4th option. When dez struggled it was against gifted or top corners, and also Dez was not motivated. I think Dez lost his way a bit and it was never about his talent slipping. Much of it was Dak as well in the sense that he wasn't on the same page with him nor was he comfortable forcing him the ball. I honestly believe that the option of Dez needs to be explored for sure considering where his head and body is at the moment. In terms of Whiten and Lee, I think Whiten needs to go so we can develop new players, but Lee is a nice player to have, especially with our potential issues with health.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
What does McCarthy have to do with personnel decisions?

He was hired to enhance the perception of legitimacy to the Cowboys coaching staff. Any special ability or skill he has in regards to maximizing talent will be swiftly neutralized by the slow corrosion of his authority....which is an illusion in the first place.

At some point he is going to come to the conclusion that he is nothing more than an employee that is expected to fall into step with Jerry Jones's agenda of demanding credit for any future success while being scapegoated for the more probable failure.
I could not have said it better. Sadly, I'm leaning in this direction since I've seen this flea circus act too many times. By draft time JJ and son will find a way to neutralize the overall operation of the HC staff and MM will take it in stride along with the big pay check.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McCarthy's First Stand: How Cowboys HC will handle Lee, Bryant, Witten

usatsi_13682861.jpg

There's a new era of Dallas Cowboys football coming in 2020. For the past 10 seasons, it was all about the right kind of guys (RKGs) under former head coach Jason Garrett. If Garrett liked a player...

Read Full Story

McCarthy already made his first stand when he was awarded the right to make all his own decisions on coaching.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Will McClay said they will get their FA list and players and the draft board to players that this new coaching staff are looking for.
That tells me MM has some control and input on this.

Others believe different but so be it. And they will not accept this.
I hope your right Jazz. Just hope the sentiment (to turn the proper authority over to the HC) is not just window dressing as it's been in the past.

cern

Reaction score
I doubt mac will ever have easier decisions to face. lee is a yes. dez and witten are resounding no's. a cancer and a progress stopper are not needed. only lee can still fill a viable role.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Out of those 3, I'd bring back only Dez (if he's cheap). Coop, Gallup and Dez would do damage. Dez especially in the Red Zone.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Dez Bryant should not be one that needs to be handled. Just don't sign him. Lol
He wasn't on the team last year- and hasn't been on the team in the last years ..he's due to be 32 of age, he's still a questionable route runner that lacks separation,
he's been out of football for two years and still will need a full year of playing trying get back into form from a Achilles injury ,and he's not good for the locker room
and Dak friendly atmosphere. (remember all the " snakes" conspiracy talk ?) we don't need to chance this social media mayhem and back griping.
If McCarthy wants a strong, feasible player locker room,.. then keep Dez far away from it.
Too many more minuses vs pluses. And save that 4th WR spot for a top special teamer.

- Witten shouldn't be one that has to be handled either. He's not seen as a locker room cancer as Dez, but we saw how Witten's demand to contribute, took far more athleticism
and too many potential big plays away from younger, much quicker Blake Jarwin and I really thought that was a blow to our offense - even one that was tops in yards gained.
Witten was so stuck in mud and just soooo painful to watch. - and even his in-line blocking had become at very average level.
And I knew how competitive he was and so bias Garrett and Jones regime were in being so loyal in debted to him
that he wasn't gonna be satisfied with "sharing reps" and taking a back seat to Jarwin. As of now, I get the vibe that MM has moved on from Witten as a player. Great!

- Lee may be a different story than Witten, in that playing lesser early on/lesser of a pounding wear may have played a huge part in preserving his body longer in a season, even
when he was counted on to start full time for LVE later half of season. Something many of us were quite surprised how he finally managed to stay in one piece for virtually the entire season !
We'd have to scheme and limited Lee in man coverage, as he cannot single up in man like he used to, but given schemes and roles where he can drop in pass lanes in nickel,
he is still terrific at reading/anticipating the QB in the passing lanes in zones - and snagging the INT. Terrific knack and anticipation for the game.
But i'd still like to see an young developing heir apparent to share reps with him at strong side this year. Backup Joe Thomas may be more reserve than eventual starter and
seems he’s a bit fragile-injury prone himself.
If new coaching regime decides to move to a younger, immediate strong side LB, I’m down with that too.

-

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The way MM uses two and three TE sets, making Witten the 2TE may not be very noticeable. I'd keep him. Lee is a good back up to LVE and a leader on the defense. I'd bring him back too. I'd give Dez a shoe shine kit but ban him from the locker room. I guess I'm a nice guy like that wanting everyone to be gainfully employed. :D

CoachD

Reaction score
So Dez wants to come back to the Cowboys ummmmmmm why would they want him back he's a pain in the *** me type player!

plasticman

Reaction score
And here we go. One of the usuals that knows it all of how it really works. Or thinks they do anyway.
NFL teams are really different that a normal business rather you want to believe it or not.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

I don't possess any unique or gifted ability to evaluate circumstances and draw some unique conclusion. I'm simply reciting history.

If Jerry Jones is anything, he is consistent.