News: CW: Schultz to AFC South? TE named top FA target of 2 different clubs

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate the salary cap
I used to hate it as well, and it does suck when you lose a star player you drafted and helped improve, but I do think it helps in one less appreciated area and that is it forces teams to let go of players that have been regularly injured, failed to live up to expectations, could likely be replaced with someone better, etc. that would otherwise remain on the team for years longer than they should.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not to sound like a broken record, but in a cap world we should be keeping one of Schultz or Jarwin, not both. You just can't keep two TEs when neither can block worth crap taking up the cap space those two are expected to next year when you have some big needs like this team does.

Hardline

Reaction score
Every effort should be made to resign Schultz .Unlike the rest of you I'm not delusional enough to see him leaving as a good thing. He practically catches everything thrown to him and gets YAC .
Losing him will hurt this offense. And he blocks better than you think. He unfortunately had a couple missed blocks that really killed us at the wrong time.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Schultz is Dak’s favorite receiver. We will resign him unless he gets 10 million per or more elsewhere. If he gets a huge contract they we can’t match, Jarwin will get a second chance to make good on his contract.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
A system success as a receiver, a dismal blocker, the veteran market is always inflated. After two seasons he had 13 receptions for 122 yards. No way should the Cowboys pay market value. I beleive they can address the position with the right free agent signing at a value and then also the draft.

The first 2 seasons he just didn't get an opportunity. Maybe he wasn't ready as a rookie not getting a lot of receiving work in college. Second year Witten was back and no one really got opportunities and then in year 3 it took a Jarwin injury to get his chance. Whatever happened the first 2 years I wouldn't use it to judge the type of player he is today.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Schultz’s strength was his receiving skills. Even then, I wouldn’t call him some dynamic pass catcher with a unique skill set.
Shultz was a reliable outlet for Dak. His blocking skills need work. Would not back up a Brinks truck to sign him. We can try and get a more complete TE in the draft or in free agency for less bank.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Shultz did feel like one of the few guys on offense who knew what was going on. Having said that let him go, take the comp pick and find another.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Translate: he's priced himself out of our range. Some think this was his farewell tweet. Just me, but I'd like to replace him with a Beasley-type slot receiver.

How do you replace a 6'5 te that struggles blocking with a Beasley type slot receiver ???

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Every effort should be made to resign Schultz .Unlike the rest of you I'm not delusional enough to see him leaving as a good thing. He practically catches everything thrown to him and gets YAC .
Losing him will hurt this offense. And he blocks better than you think. He unfortunately had a couple missed blocks that really killed us at the wrong time.

lol.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Shultz was a reliable outlet for Dak. His blocking skills need work. Would not back up a Brinks truck to sign him. We can try and get a more complete TE in the draft or in free agency for less bank.

That’s how I look at it as well. I wouldn’t mind bringing him back but it has to be team friendly. Some team that wants a plug and play starter will pay retail for him. I would not get into a bidding war.

J_Allen

Reaction score
We should just pull up a bus that says "everyone that cant perform up to their pay expectations, please board here."
Bus would be full in the front.
Tad would definitely have pre purchased his ticket.

I would comb over tape from our San Francisco game. Whoever didn't show up gets cut.

fansince68

Reaction score
Dak and the offense will really be hurting if we lose Schultz, Cooper, Wilson and Gallup. I hate the salary cap. I wish there was a salary cap for players you draft and then a FA salary cap. I wish there was some way to have a salary cap but also reward teams for drafting well.

Like Gregory for instance, we draft him, put up with his issues, bring him along personally and professionally and then he has one good year and we might lose him, then some other team reeps the reward for our patience.
Gallup got hurt very late in the season, don't expect him back before Nov 22.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak and the offense will really be hurting if we lose Schultz, Cooper, Wilson and Gallup. I hate the salary cap. I wish there was a salary cap for players you draft and then a FA salary cap. I wish there was some way to have a salary cap but also reward teams for drafting well.

Like Gregory for instance, we draft him, put up with his issues, bring him along personally and professionally and then he has one good year and we might lose him, then some other team reeps the reward for our patience.
maybe adopt something similar to the NBA cap..its sort of like that hut have luxury taxes to pay..

Carson

Reaction score
Not to sound like a broken record, but in a cap world we should be keeping one of Schultz or Jarwin, not both. You just can't keep two TEs when neither can block worth crap taking up the cap space those two are expected to next year when you have some big needs like this team does.
If it’s between the two, you pay for Schultz. I know Jarwin had a bad ACL injury last season, but he’s done nothing for the previous two seasons.