News: CW: Schultz to AFC South? TE named top FA target of 2 different clubs

CWR

Reaction score
the problem is our OL sucks, so we depend on the TE....pass catching, down field threat TEs are tougher to find....we can get a blocking TE in mid rounds and use him for that purpose. with the same token if a TE can only block, then when he is in the game and there is no threat of him going for a pass, then the defense can stack the line for a run and simplify their defensive scheme.

but a pass catching TE puts more pressure on a defense than a blocking TE....

Yeah yall are probably right. My biggest thing is we don't over pay for a guy who isn't functional in this offense.

So we either fix his blocking or the oline. It irks me because he was a better blocker before. Our line in general really regressed this year, and Philbin needs to go.

I also have to question how much circumstances set up his year. He was 5th in targets for TEs and the defense had to worry about alot of guys before him. He doesn't have any elite tools. So I wonder if he can be replaced? It kind of reminds me of the DMC argument. Everything was set up for both those players to excel.

At the same time, he had a knack for finding soft spots in the defense and he has good hands. I'd be happy to keep him if the price is right and they can get our blocking straightened out.

CWR

Reaction score
I hate post like this. Shultz is a very good player and I wish we keep him. He has more value than Zeke - DLAw & probably Smith at this point in his career. But because of these bad contracts and overpaying an overrated QB we will lose an actual good productive player.

Dont act like cause we do not have the cap space that its good we are losing him

I dont care for you either. Xoxo

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah yall are probably right. My biggest thing is we don't over pay for a guy who isn't functional in this offense.

So we either fix his blocking or the oline. It irks me because he was a better blocker before. Our line in general really regressed this year, and Philbin needs to go.

I also have to question how much circumstances set up his year. He was 5th in targets for TEs and the defense had to worry about alot of guys before him. He doesn't have any elite tools. So I wonder if he can be replaced? It kind of reminds me of the DMC argument. Everything was set up for both those players to excel.

At the same time, he had a knack for finding soft spots in the defense and he has good hands. I'd be happy to keep him if the price is right and they can get our blocking straightened out.
he can improve his blocking. perhaps get to the level witten was. but we need to get a legit LG and a stronger legit center that can block and actually picks the right guy to block and can make the right line calls. ...then we will see much improved offense, specially the rung game.
I just think at this point this team is constructed to be a better zone blocking team than a man-up, and get the guy in front of you.....sort of like what Shanahan does in SF, a blocking scheme he learned from his father.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schultz’s strength was his receiving skills. Even then, I wouldn’t call him some dynamic pass catcher with a unique skill set.
He kinda reminded me of an only slightly springier Ole Man Witten. Post 2015 or so. Had a bit more RAC ability, but not a whole lot really. I just think we have forgotten what thay looks like here.

He was pretty reliable in 5 to 12 yard range, and came through when we needed him though. Im torn on bringing back. I dont think you can just plug and play almost 80 catches and 8 TD's at TE. Especially the red zone targets. Thats an area we have struggled at times to utilize WR's since Romo/Bryant

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This draft is chalk full of Schultz caliber TEs.

I haven't looked at much outside the top two. Both look like they should be quality starters. McBride is my favorite right now, but his TD production kind of worries me. I also think he may be in an awkward spot for us where he isnt worth 24 and probably wont make it to our 2nd rounder

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Even though Schultz wasn't the cat's meow as a blocker, he wasn't the worst, either. That distinction goes to Jarwin. Schultz's worth as a receiver was better than many before him. I think what's needed as a TE in the draft had best be available past the 1st few rounds. Other of our needs are far more desperate. It's also possible that Sean McKeon will be a better TE than what Jarwin ever was.

Last edited:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If Schultz was smart and actually wanted to have a successful career he would leave Dallas.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He was pretty darn good last year too, I think about 5th in yards for all te's not sure about targets. So that's 2 years in a row he's been pretty good at catching passes with hat 6 different qb's. Imagine how much further hed be in development if they had used him more earlier in his career. He only broke onto the scene cause Jarwin went down. i'd rather keep schultz than jarwin but i'm paying neither 15 million a year but then again who cares what he makes, in 2 years the cap is going to be crazy regardless.

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Schultz also had another true advantage over Jarwin .. he's much tougher and much more durable than Blake.
i recall one single game that Dalton hasn't missed a game because of injury, and he's taken a gallon of wicked hits and tackles,

While missed games and missed series and plays are constantly piling up with Jarwin.
The dude is soft ... too soft. We cannot count on him. We were too hasty in rushing to re-sign him.

Can't argue with that.

CWR

Reaction score
He was pretty darn good last year too, I think about 5th in yards for all te's not sure about targets. So that's 2 years in a row he's been pretty good at catching passes with hat 6 different qb's. Imagine how much further hed be in development if they had used him more earlier in his career. He only broke onto the scene cause Jarwin went down. i'd rather keep schultz than jarwin but i'm paying neither 15 million a year but then again who cares what he makes, in 2 years the cap is going to be crazy regardless.

Oh yeah if I'm choosing between the two I'd much rather Schultz than Jarwin.

CWR

Reaction score
he can improve his blocking. perhaps get to the level witten was. but we need to get a legit LG and a stronger legit center that can block and actually picks the right guy to block and can make the right line calls. ...then we will see much improved offense, specially the rung game.
I just think at this point this team is constructed to be a better zone blocking team than a man-up, and get the guy in front of you.....sort of like what Shanahan does in SF, a blocking scheme he learned from his father.

In a copy cat league it amazes me Shanny isn't copied better. You would think coordinators could watch film and imitate some of his running prowess.

eyedoc

Reaction score
I agree. I do not see them letting Shultz leave without trying their best to keep him.

His blocking at the line definitely needs some work but he has actually made some good downfield blocks and he also has great hands for a TE and he is well liked and respected by his teammates.

Most importantly, Dak seems to trust and in some cases rely on him often.

As for Jarwin, he would sometimes make you think he was the next great WR-like TE in the league, but he keeps getting hurt over and over so it is time to move on from him.

In the NFL if you cannot rely on a player to be able to get on the field to play each week, you have to move on.
You just described our starting left tackle when he’s on the field!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Schultz is a dime a dozen TE. Not to be negative on him but. Finding TE’s with his skill level just isn’t that difficult in the NFL.
tumblr_pwe48lS2iQ1uutnkko1_500.gif
tell me your kidding...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Schultz is a dime a dozen TE. Not to be negative on him but. Finding TE’s with his skill level just isn’t that difficult in the NFL.

There's plenty of blockers as good or better but there's not that many as reliable as a receiver.

He's no dime a dozen TE in that area. However, if the cost of keeping him is too high, he's out.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
If Schultz was smart and actually wanted to have a successful career he would leave Dallas.
He’s made a lot of money in this scheme, with Dak and growing around this team. Guys like Jonnu Smith get paid, change scenery and produced less.

He’s a clear #1 here. Jarwin won’t compete and he won’t lose touches

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The best thing about Schultz is his rapport with Dak and his experience which enables him to find the open spots on 3rd downs. But TEs in the NFL today need to be more playmakers capable of getting down field. That is not Schultz. I do think there are TEs in the draft who can take Schultz's place for a lot less money.

Cutting Jarwin only saves $3.8 million but I am not sure he is worth that. Since he arrived the Cowboys have fawned over him and even extended him. I don't get it. He had 2 good games against the Giants. I don't think he has good hands to make tough catches. I once thought he could be like the Rams's Tyler Higbee but now I don't think he is even that good.

I am waiting for that kid from Georgia to come out, Brock Bowers. He is already showing greatness as a freshman.

Lol, was with you until you started trying to critiquing Jarwin.

I don't know what world some of y'all were living in. Jarwin played behind Witten from 2017-2019. Knowing that, some folks will still chirp "he only had two big games against the Giants," as if he was getting starter reps. Even though he was a backup, he still managed to flash. Meanwhile, Schultz did next to nothing his first two seasons. And now Jarwin's hands are being questioned?

It's very possible the team moves on from both players, but the evaluation of Jarwin and the inflation of Schultz is too rich.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
...OMG !... :facepalm:..............
Quick what are your thoughts on tagging Schultz, you don’t like it? I figure it’s cheaper then a 5 year deal if the cap is a concern, which I don’t think it is. Would you rather have the 3rd round comp pick? I could see that.

Spend the money somewhere else is a good idea too if they actually do that. I just don’t see them giving out 10m a year to a FA OL or D player on the front 7. Yea I’d rather have a front 7 on the defense or a starter on the OL then a TE, but I like Schultz

conner01

Reaction score
I agree. I do not see them letting Shultz leave without trying their best to keep him.

His blocking at the line definitely needs some work but he has actually made some good downfield blocks and he also has great hands for a TE and he is well liked and respected by his teammates.

Most importantly, Dak seems to trust and in some cases rely on him often.

As for Jarwin, he would sometimes make you think he was the next great WR-like TE in the league, but he keeps getting hurt over and over so it is time to move on from him.

In the NFL if you cannot rely on a player to be able to get on the field to play each week, you have to move on.
Fans hate him because he’s not a great blocker
But he’s the safety valve in the pass game
He gets open and catches the ball and he’s gonna be missed