D Law and Taco during draft analysis

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Where does it sound like I am flipping out?

I am getting a perspective on these DE and how long it takes them to develop? I don't expect Taco to lite it up in his first year. Very few DL can do that.

Lazy perspective. Ask yourself "gee how do rookie DEs usually perform?" Look it up.

Don't be the person who posts to Facebook asking when the post office closes. This information is readily available

kevm3

Reaction score
Taco will look a lot different after 4 years in the league. He needs time. Taco was probably rated higher, given he was taken in the 1st and Lawrence in the 2nd.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Taco is raw and will need time to develop. He has done some good things at times. He's had a nice play or two in each game so far, actually in pass rush situations.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I wish we weren't so crowded at LE and Taco could gain his experience there which I think most would agree will be his best position once he gains strength. But if he's going to get snaps at RE then I think he needs to get the snaps that Mayowa has been getting. Wouldn't be surprised if they cut Mayowa to make room for Irving.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Lazy perspective. Ask yourself "gee how do rookie DEs usually perform?" Look it up.

Don't be the person who posts to Facebook asking when the post office closes. This information is readily available
Way to mouth off there boss, you really got him good. :)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Demarcus was not a 1st round talent by anyone, he was a 2nd-3rd round talent with plenty of questions about his strength and ability to play in the NFL, whereas Taco was pretty universally thought of as a 1st rounder. Some had him top 20. If you told someone previous to the draft that Taco would fall to the 2nd, they'd probably laugh.

Yes, that was the consensus. Lawrence rose late into 2nd round possibility. Charlton actually fell a little by some very late but almost everyone still had him in the 1st round mix.

Now try telling that to Mr. Player Sexual.

ghst187

Reaction score
When you look at the other guys in his class that we talked a lot about, tyvus Bowser, Terrell Basham, TJ Watt, and Derek Barnett,...the only one that's done anything thus far is TJ and then he was injured which was part of the big knock on him coming out. Bowser has an INT but the rest have maybe one tackle. It's not been an inspiring class so far and doesn't look like there are any Joey Bosas this time. We will have to give them all some time.
The shame of it for us specifically is that Taco needs the game reps but we don't have the roster room for him to waste right now, esp with Irving coming back. I'd rather have Tapper active than Taco because Tapper gives us something. Taco needs a redshirt year. I think he will be fine we are just going to have to be patient.

btcutter

Reaction score

Yes sir, we can't start a new thread because there's a consensus on which prospect is better? OK Mr. Know it all.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who was the better prospect coming out? Appears that D Law was the better prospect.
I am just trying to see if Taco just need time to develop and show more flashes?

What was D Law 3 games into his career? What is he now?

Too soon to write off Taco (not saying you are, but some certainly have). Time will tell.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes sir, we can't start a new thread because there's a consensus on which prospect is better? OK Mr. Know it all.

Already several threads on it. Someone even compared all the first round DEs.

Just a little research man.

QT

Reaction score
Yes. Usually you are less patient with 1st round draft picks that haven't showed up on any stat sheets. Shante Carver, I mean, Taco needs to show something soon. Yeah, let's draft a guy in the first round and wait 2 years for him to stronger. Then finally, if he does, his rookie contract expires.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Two random opinions.

Usually, a consensus before the draft at least gives an idea about perceived value.

Demarcus was not a 1st round talent by anyone, he was a 2nd-3rd round talent with plenty of questions about his strength and ability to play in the NFL, whereas Taco was pretty universally thought of as a 1st rounder. Some had him top 20. If you told someone previous to the draft that Taco would fall to the 2nd, they'd probably laugh.

He's a rookie DE going against NFL tackles. It's rare that you see a DE come into the league and do much of anything.

He has all the tools, he'll be fine.
This. These thread are dumb, I am pretty sure that the same thing was posted about D-Law.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
D Law is just now starting to shine, four years in. He has 7 of his 16 total career sacks in the first 3 games this year. 3 years ago, everybody thought D Law sucked. This offseason, everybody said he was fat and useless from a twitter picture. Now today, we think taco needs to be like D Law.
Only time I been disappointed with DLaw was last season. His first two years in the league he made progress weekly

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think Taco will be fine and has a chance to be an everydown starter for us down the road. He needs refinement and a chance to develop his body. That much is up to him.

I would have liked for him to step in Day 1 like everyone else but I'm fine with him contributing as a rotational guy. Hopefully he picks up speed as the season goes along.