D Lawrence

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I just don't see him as a FACE of the Franchise!!! Think about it...when u talk about the Cowboys or hear about them u don't see his face or name as a name that is mentioned up there with Prescott, Elliot, Lee or even Scandrick. Is he a good player...YES...but I don't think you break the bank for him unless you are getting production every year. I would check after the season and go from there. I think other teams would trade for him in an instant. I wouldn't do it just now, but I really think he is just a guy who had a solid year, but has yet to bring it all together. If he has a great year than yes maybe we offer him an extension, but if not I think we tag him and see who bites. Teams will always think they can use him, but if he doesn't seem like a superstar I don't think we should pay him like one.

If you wait a season, and he produces again, then his value will go up, we are offering him a new contract based on this years cap figures, if he performs again then it will increase, the franchsie tag is $17m for a DE all guaranteed, in 2019, that number will go up to about $18m, that's $35m guaranteed over 2 years, why pay that much money for 2 years, when you only need to over abount another $10m but can get a 5y deal with the a more friendly cap deal.

The reason he hasn't been consistent was the 2 years he had back injury, and the year his injury was healed he peformed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He got the 14 sacks with not-very-good DL play otherwise. If the new guys provide more push up the middle and if the LDE does well, I could see Lawrence getting more than what he got last year...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Another good year, even if it's not quite 14 sacks and Jerry will reward him with a top contract, most likely...

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Stephen running the show, regardless of production in 2018, I doubt Lawrence gets an extension offer to his liking. He is all about the money and padding his stats.

You watch his body language and comments he made throughout the season last year, he was continually mentioning how he wanted to get numbers to increase his contract value.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that mindset - he wants to provide for his family. But Stephen, for good reason, won't attach himself to someone like that for more than 1 year at a time. Refer to Jay Ratliff if you want to know how the story line would play out if they gave Lawrence an $85million extension.

I have a feeling they're preparing to trade or let Zack Martin walk as well. Stephen doesn't overvalue players like Jerry does/did.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
His production revolves around his health as it does with everyone else. Hope he gets 12+