7. Justin Hamilton 310lbs, 32.25", 236 snaps

DE:
  1. Demarcus Lawrence - 265lbs, 33.5", 667 snaps
  2. Randy Gregory - 248lbs, 34.6" , 270 snaps
  3. Chauncey Golston 270lbs, 34.75"
  4. Dorance Armstrong 260lbs, 34.75", 368 snaps
  5. Tarell Basham 270lbs, 34.25", 734 snaps
  6. Bradley Anae 260lbs, 32.1", 6 snaps
I've included weight, arm length, and last years snap count for reference. I think it looking at the group its evident that we have a lot of competition but are maybe lacking a star, we clearly targeted bigger guys with length. And given Quinn's interviews, it's no co-incidence that of the 7 additions to training camp, all of them have long arms (34" or more). As a whole, IMO the group is more versatile than pass years. But I think given we've got a fairly solid LB room with some guys that can rush the passer, it's likely we will carry 8 linemen which means five get cut/traded or put on practice squad.

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore
: While he lacks ideal length I still think he'll be the primary 3T sliding over to 1T on obvious passing downs. I thought he flashed talent last season, and only becomes more valuable under Quinn who historically runs a lot more stunts than Nolan (more than Marinelli even) and has asked his 3T to primarily shoot the B-gap. IMO in nickel situations, with four linemen, Gallimore has big role.

Odigizuwa: I think he's used as a hybrid guy that will be used in rotation as both a 3T, and LDE on run downs. I suspect he'll still play a fair bit, but with how strong he plays (despite his size) I think he's gonan be in against the run more so. .

Bohanna: I think he's gonna have a niche but important role strictly as our two-gap NT on run downs. His size, strength, and length makes him perfect for the role and we really don't have a suitable alternative on the roster.

Urban, Hill, Watkins, Hamilton: I think one of these guys wins the last DT role and I'm on the fence as to who that is. Urban has the height, length and ability against the run. Hill has the speed, explosion and offer the most pass rush, Watkins is probably somewhere in between. All three of these guys were regulars (Hill before injury) last season but I'm leaning Watkins because I liked what he did at Clemson. Hamilton seems unlikely.

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence: He's comfortably our best linemen and has played the vast majority of his games as a LDE. I expect this season to be similar, but would not be surprise to see him play on the right a bit more than in the past as a LEO, Quinn has asked his base end to two gap fairly often and while Lawrence is versatile enough to do it, he's been mostly played and excelled in a one-gap scheme.

Randy Gregory: I see him as our primary LEO. He's our most explosive edge rusher and IMO is ideally suited to the role.

Chauncey Golston: I see him as our backup LDE that can two-gap and play the run at a high level. As a 3rd round pick he's almost a certainty to make the roster but I'm not sure he's actually that good. To be honest I liked all three of the guys below more coming out of college.

Armstrong, Basham, Anae: If you asked me who the best player is I would say Basham, but Armstrong also plays a lot of special teams. Anae barely played last year and for me is the underdog, but he looked really good in college and it's only his second season, it's certainly not beyond him to make a big jump and take that last edge rushing spot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We have the following players:
DT:
  1. Neville Gallimore 307lbs, 32.5", 416 snaps
  2. Osa Odegizuwa 282lbs, 34.2"
  3. Quinton Bohanna 330lbs, 34"
  4. Brent Urban 300lbs, 34.25", 369 snaps
  5. Trysten Hill 308lbs, 33.5", 212 snaps
  6. Carlos Watkins 300lbs, 34.75", 542 snaps

DE:
I've included weight, arm length, and last years snap count for reference. I think it looking at the group its evident that we have a lot of competition but are maybe lacking a star, we clearly targeted bigger guys with length. And given Quinn's interviews, it's no co-incidence that of the 7 additions to training camp, all of them have long arms (34" or more). As a whole, IMO the group is more versatile than pass years. But I think given we've got a fairly solid LB room with some guys that can rush the passer, it's likely we will carry 8 linemen which means five get cut/traded or put on practice squad.

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore
: While he lacks ideal length I still think he'll be the primary 3T sliding over to 1T on obvious passing downs. I thought he flashed talent last season, and only becomes more valuable under Quinn who historically runs a lot more stunts than Nolan (more than Marinelli even) and has asked his 3T to primarily shoot the B-gap. IMO in nickel situations, with four linemen, Gallimore has big role.

Odigizuwa: I think he's used as a hybrid guy that will be used in rotation as both a 3T, and LDE on run downs. I suspect he'll still play a fair bit, but with how strong he plays (despite his size) I think he's gonan be in against the run more so. .

Bohanna: I think he's gonna have a niche but important role strictly as our two-gap NT on run downs. His size, strength, and length makes him perfect for the role and we really don't have a suitable alternative on the roster.

Urban, Hill, Watkins, Hamilton: I think one of these guys wins the last DT role and I'm on the fence as to who that is. Urban has the height, length and ability against the run. Hill has the speed, explosion and offer the most pass rush, Watkins is probably somewhere in between. All three of these guys were regulars (Hill before injury) last season but I'm leaning Watkins because I liked what he did at Clemson. Hamilton seems unlikely.

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:
He's comfortably our best linemen and has played the vast majority of his games as a LDE. I expect this season to be similar, but would not be surprise to see him play on the right a bit more than in the past as a LEO, Quinn has asked his base end to two gap fairly often and while Lawrence is versatile enough to do it, he's been mostly played and excelled in a one-gap scheme.

Randy Gregory: I see him as our primary LEO. He's our most explosive edge rusher and IMO is ideally suited to the role.

Chauncey Golston: I see him as our backup LDE that can two-gap and play the run at a high level. As a 3rd round pick he's almost a certainty to make the roster but I'm not sure he's actually that good. To be honest I liked all three of the guys below more coming out of college.

Armstrong, Basham, Anae: If you asked me who the best player is I would say Basham, but Armstrong also plays a lot of special teams. Anae barely played last year and for me is the underdog, but he looked really good in college and it's only his second season, it's certainly not beyond him to make a big jump and take that last edge rushing spot.

I think we carry 10.

Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Golston and Anae at end and Gallimore, Urban, Odigizuwha, Bohanna and Watkins at tackle. It's possible Hill makes it and either Anae or Watkins doesn't, but I haven't seen enough good from Hill to think he'll win a spot.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think Watkins will be on the team. Quinn specifically called him out in that press conference. So I'd say they have a role figured for him.

Hill, Anae could be cut. Hill cause he sucks. Anae cause his arms don't meet our freaky long arm threshold

Last edited:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Not many teams have the luxury of cutting a woods

I’m sensing sarcasm but Tennessee had 1st dibs on that front.

Secondly, not many teams have the lack of talent and depth on their d-lines to sign and start a gentleman like A Woods.

John813

Reaction score
Just got to hope this isn't another fixation on size/arm length when it comes to scouting players. All things equal, sure go with the prospect with the longer arms/height.

IIRC Kris Richard had that about the corners, 6' and 32" arms and IIRC Rod had something too on DL.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just got to hope this isn't another fixation on size/arm length when it comes to scouting players. All things equal, sure go with the prospect with the longer arms/height.

IIRC Kris Richard had that about the corners, 6' and 32" arms and IIRC Rod had something too on DL.
Yep, it's happening again. These Seattle guys are caught up on height n arm length to their detriment.

DT:

DE:

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:
He's comfortably our best linemen and has played the vast majority of his games as a LDE. I expect this season to be similar, but would not be surprise to see him play on the right a bit more than in the past as a LEO, Quinn has asked his base end to two gap fairly often and while Lawrence is versatile enough to do it, he's been mostly played and excelled in a one-gap scheme.

I think Rondell Carter is still on the roster due to his 33 arm length.
Make the team:
DE - DLaw, RG, Urban, Basham, Golston
DT - Gallimore, Watkins, Bohanna, Osa, Hill

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
DT:

DE:

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:

Funny how all of a sudden arm length is now a big thing with Cowboys fans.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
DT:

DE:

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:

*Edge Rusher*
While I'll never seek 2-b "that guy" ?
I feel it's only fair to point out, just how badly that hooshgal single season lineup resident: Aldon Smith had outshined our self proclaimed ' wannabe war daddy's #90's game production ,,,er,,, early on anyway, in the span of a 3 to 4 game stretch ,,, CONSISTENTLY,,,
*Tank's gotta' throttle it up / tear it up/ like a big 'ol dinosaur's game day mating season,,,EVERY GAME DAY*:starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Big deal to the fans or have fans identified it’s a big deal to the defensive co-ordinator?
*Either Or,as the "big deal" is the fire being built under that half pulling " dinosaur ARMOURED war mule #90*:thumbup:

cnuball21

Reaction score
DT:

DE:

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:

Great post...I'm excited to see how the LBr / DL competition plays out.

I don't think Osi / Golston will be studs, but hoping they will at least provide quality depth across the DL.

IMO what we get out of the interior DT group is going to be critical. If they get blown up and run over like last year all of our shiny toy LBs won't matter. I'm hoping between the FA additions and Bohanna we'll have at a few dudes that cann really anchor and blow up run lanes. I'm a fan of Gally, I think he can be really good 3T for us based off what I saw last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT:

DE:

Defensive Tackle:
Gallimore

Edge Rusher:
Demarcus Lawrence:

Excellent post, appreciate your efforts. If I have one suggestion, it is this:

"Think 3-4 defense".

fivetwos

Reaction score

"Think 3-4 defense".
We were both pumped about the multiple looks Nolan was going to show after the Garrett vanilla other team always knowing our play crap.

I just hope that's finally here now....and maybe this time we bothered to acquire the personnel to do it.

Dom Capers defense when he was HC of Carolina is what I want to see.....no one ever knew where pressure was coming from.

You'd see things like Kevin Greene in coverage and a corner blowing up the QB.

THAT'S what we need here.....and as a cohesive unit.

DanA

Reaction score

"Think 3-4 defense".

It's a valid point and worth considering however I did it this way as I suspect we will be 70% nickel & 5% dime which have four man fronts, that leaves 25% for a 3-4 base defense. It's kind of hidden in some of the comments when I talk about Lawrence playing LEO, Odigi playing LDE, and Bohanna playing NT. Gallimore is the one guy I see playing in four man fronts only but having a big role in it as I mentioned..

3-4 base defense:

LDE: Odigizuwa NT: Bohanna RDE: Urban
SAM: Smith ------------------------------------------------------------------LEO: Gregory
SS: Wilson ---------MIKE: Parsons ------WILL: Neale
LCB: Diggs------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RCB: Joseph
FS: Kazee

As I mentioned I think Lawrence might play some LEO mixed in with his normal role as a LDE on nickle downs. Odigi could slide into a LDE role, or Urban LDE.

Nickle:
LDE: Lawrence 3T: Gallimore 1T: Urban RDE: Gregory
MIKE: Parsons WILL: Neale
LCB: Diggs -----------------------------------------------SS: Wilson-------------------------------------------------------RCB: Joseph
------------FS: Kazee​

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a valid point and worth considering however I did it this way as I suspect we will be 70% nickel & 5% dime which have four man fronts, that leaves 25% for a 3-4 base defense. It's kind of hidden in some of the comments when I talk about Lawrence playing LEO, Odigi playing LDE, and Bohanna playing NT. Gallimore is the one guy I see playing in four man fronts only but having a big role in it as I mentioned..

3-4 base defense:

LDE: Odigizuwa NT: Bohanna RDE: Urban
SAM: Smith ------------------------------------------------------------------LEO: Gregory
SS: Wilson ---------MIKE: Parsons ------WILL: Neale
LCB: Diggs------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RCB: Joseph
FS: Kazee

As I mentioned I think Lawrence might play some LEO mixed in with his normal role as a LDE on nickle downs. Odigi could slide into a LDE role, or Urban LDE.

Nickle:
LDE: Lawrence 3T: Gallimore 1T: Urban RDE: Gregory
MIKE: Parsons WILL: Neale
LCB: Diggs -----------------------------------------------SS: Wilson-------------------------------------------------------RCB: Joseph
------------FS: Kazee​

:hammer:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think we keep 10.
in atlanta,quinn seemed to like keeping 10.
DE:lawrence gregory basham golston armstrong
DT:gallimore odighizuwa bohanna urban watkins

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That DL won't scare any opposition teams...

I'm here for the insults....