D. Ware vs. "The Great" Lawrence Taylor

AKATheRake

Reaction score
THUMPER;2448974 said:
Taylor also played alongside some other great LBs in Harry Carson, Gary Reasons, Brad Van Pelt, Carl Banks, & Pepper Johnson. He also had some excellent DLs in front of him in George Martin, Jim Burt, and Leonard Marshall.

I would say that the overall talent on the defenses that Taylor played on were better those that Ware has had around him. It's getting better but not there yet. We won't even get into the coaching differences.

Someone else brought up the fact that the OLs of the late 80s-early 90s were considerably smaller than those Ware faces today.

Not taking anything away from LT, because he was a force that had to be accounted for on every play, but Ware is not far from that same kind of attention.

Please read my above post in regards to the size differential during era's. In regards to the other LB's and defensive talent LT played along a lot of those guys credit their success to playing alongside LT. Carson said it during his Hall of Fame speech when inducted. in fact Carson said he's get to run into alot of sack and tackle opportunities just because teams would go away from LT's side at all costs. The man took his side of the field away at the LB position. That's impact. You can't measure that as a stat.

I love Demarcus Ware and he is a gift that we could not be more greatful for as a fan. But when LT played there was no questions who was the best defensive player in the league for 3/4's of a decade. That's right from his rookie season and that's not just being tabbed as a great defense player, that's being tabbed as "THE BEST" defensive player. 2 totally different spectrums. In regards to coaching they are extremely similar. Parcells Coached Ware from his rookie season out and now D.Ware has a very blitz happy coach in Wade Phillips. Ray Perkins was LT's coach when he came out and people thought Perkins held LT back. Parcells let LT loose. The level of players on that Giants D are better than this D, but LT made them better, not them making LT better.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2448986 said:
Please read my above post in regards to the size differential during era's.
You posted at the same time I did so I didn't see it when I posted mine. If I had I would have pointed out that on average OLs in the late 80s were around 40 lbs lighter than they are today. The average OL today is @310 lbs whereas in 1988 it was @270.

The "Hogs" were considered HUGE at 285 - 295 lbs back then. Our O-Line averages 320+ today and ours isn't the heaviest!

In regards to the other LB's and defensive talent LT played along a lot of those guys credit their success to playing alongside LT. Carson said it during his Hall of Fame speech when inducted. in fact Carson said he's get to run into alot of sack and tackle opportunities just because teams would go away from LT's side at all costs. The man took his side of the field away at the LB position. That's impact. You can't measure that as a stat.
I agree that LT made it easier for others to make plays but the reverse is also true. Leonard Marshall, playing RDE (the same side as LT) had 15.5 sacks in 1985 and 12 sacks in 1986 so who helped who? As an OT you are always taught to block the inside guy first, that would be Marshall and would allow Taylor a lot more open shots at the QB with only a RB to take him on.

I love Demarcus Ware and he is a gift that we could not be more greatful for as a fan. But when LT played there was no questions who was the best defensive player in the league for 3/4's of a decade. That's right from his rookie season and that's not just being tabbed as a great defense player, that's being tabbed as "THE BEST" defensive player. 2 totally different spectrums.
Taylor was a different kind of player in that era and stood out from the rest but there have been a number of similar players since then (Derrick Thomas, Kevin Greene, etc.). He was unique at the time but would not be THAT unusual today. Again, this is not to take away from how much he dominated the game but if we are comparing two players then we have to take into account what they actually contributed to each game and what the hype was. Teams didn't know how to scheme for Taylor then but they do now.

In regards to coaching they are extremely similar. Parcells Coached Ware from his rookie season out and now D.Ware has a very blitz happy coach in Wade Phillips. Ray Perkins was LT's coach when he came out and people thought Perkins held LT back. Parcells let LT loose.
You are not really suggesting that the Bill Parcells that we had here is anything like the BP of the late 80s are you? He was an old man when we got him and played "not-to-lose" rather than playing to win like he used to do. Also, the coaching staff that Parcells had with the Giants was top-notch while ours were losers like Zimrod.

The level of players on that Giants D are better than this D, but LT made them better, not them making LT better.
I think they made each other better. Taylor was a great player but there were a number of great players on that team. Ware is a great player but where are the other great players around him? Zach Thomas at the end of his career? Terence Newman? OK. Ellis? He's never been great IMO. Ratliff? He's becoming a force but that's really only been this season. Last year he was good but not like he is now. Spears or Canty? Please. Bradie James? Another good player but not a Carl Banks type.

Lawrence Taylor didn't have 20 sacks every year, he did it only once (20.5 in 1986). He had 15.5, 15, 13, 12, 11.5, 10.5 and that's it for his double-digit sack seasons. As I pointed out, Marshall led the team in sacks in 1985, not Taylor. The bottom line is that the other players around him DID make it easier for him to make plays. he made them better but they also made him better as well.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
rexrobinson;2448954 said:
I know this wont be a very popular remark with the old schoolers but L.T. also played against lineman that were relatively small compared to what D. Ware faces. In 1985 only a handful of lineman were over 300 pounds.

For the umpteenth millionth billionth time....it's all relative.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jackrussell;2449052 said:
For the umpteenth millionth billionth time....it's all relative.
Yup, but if you compared them head to head, DeMarcus would blow him out of the water.

In the end, if Ware keeps it up, he'll go down as the greatest defensive player in history.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2449062 said:
In the end, if Ware keeps it up, he'll go down as the greatest defensive player in history.

Reggie White fans will want to be heard on that. I'm not sure Bruce Smith fans won't want to be heard either.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sarge;2448955 said:
Lawrence Taylor was a one man wrecking crew that changed the way the game was played. He is one of the top 5 greatest football players that ever played the game.

It's an honor for D. Ware to be compared to him. I hated that *******, but he was a force.

I hated him too, but Sarge is right. Man he was destructive, and he was a clutch player, he made huge plays when NYG needed them the most.

However the fact that people can reasonably compare the two is an amazing thing. Ware is proving to be an awesome player as well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Sarge;2449066 said:
Reggie White fans will want to be heard on that. I'm not sure Bruce Smith fans won't want to be heard either.
I didn't say he'd go down as the greatest passrusher of all time, though that's possible too.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
And just think Jerry Jones haters, Ware could be somewhere else today had he not overruled Parcells.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
D.ware is a pretender, KC joyners stats from breaking down TV broadcasts of the game told him that..

And stats dont lie, especially kc joyners. Pretender for sure...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2449072 said:
And just think Jerry Jones haters, Ware could be somewhere else today had he not overruled Parcells.

Parcells wanted merriman.

Jerry and Stephen made him sit down in their office and realize because of merrimans agents he would never sign in time. Parcells agreed and they selected ware.

Not really much to complain about. Either way the player would have been good.

but me. Demarcus ware is slowly getting to the point where he might be the most impressive athlete I have ever seen and throw in the fact that he is an absolutely wonderful human being, you have to love him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theebs;2449079 said:
Parcells wanted merriman.

Jerry and Stephen made him sit down in their office and realize because of merrimans agents he would never sign in time. Parcells agreed and they selected ware.

Not really much to complain about. Either way the player would have been good.

but me. Demarcus ware is slowly getting to the point where he might be the most impressive athlete I have ever seen and throw in the fact that he is an absolutely wonderful human being, you have to love him.

Parcells wanted Marcus Spears at 11, thats what I was referring to.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2449076 said:
D.ware is a pretender, KC joyners stats from breaking down TV broadcasts of the game told him that..

As Adam has said, Joyner just doesn't know how to interpret his stats. He based that pretender quote on the fact that a small number of Ware's sacks had come from beating one on one blocks on his own. I have no idea why you'd judge a passrusher that way, but yeah Joyner isn't that bright. Another example is that he ONLY looks at YPA for judging corners, which is just beyond ********.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Ware is also playing in an era where the QB is soo protected that it hampers how aggressively you can go after them. I wonder how many of LT's sacks would draw a penalty flag today for something like a blow to the head or helmet to helmet contact. He also probably would have led the league in roughing the passer penalties if he played under today's rules.

LT dominated his era but he wouldn't dominate like that today with the bigger OLs and much more stringent rules protecting the QB.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2449082 said:
Parcells wanted Marcus Spears at 11, thats what I was referring to.

That is a complete myth.

Brian broaddus spent two days on espn radio back in august or september talking about all of the draft day happenings in the war room, where he was.

He spilled the beans on everything. And one of the myths he dispelled was that parcells wanted spears at 11.

He said parcells really wanted merriman and liked his attitude, but Stephen did not want to do business with the postons. Jerry then made parcells sit down with steven and himself in their office and explain to him that he wouldnt sign on time and would be a problem because of his agents.

at which time, Parcells happily went along with ware as everyone in the room wanted.

The broaddus stuff was simply awesome to listen to. IF you dont believe me ask Chocolate lab he was listening that day to and we were posting on it.

Broaddus is also the one that told the story about how everyone went along with maurice carthons decision to wait and select julius. Everyone trusted his judgement and because they got the extra 1 they took jules.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
comparisons can be so subjective: different eras, different opponents, different skill levels of oppoents etc.

But let me say this: Ware is doing it without cocaine.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
THUMPER;2449023 said:
You posted at the same time I did so I didn't see it when I posted mine. If I had I would have pointed out that on average OLs in the late 80s were around 40 lbs lighter than they are today. The average OL today is @310 lbs whereas in 1988 it was @270.

The "Hogs" were considered HUGE at 285 - 295 lbs back then. Our O-Line averages 320+ today and ours isn't the heaviest!

I agree that LT made it easier for others to make plays but the reverse is also true. Leonard Marshall, playing RDE (the same side as LT) had 15.5 sacks in 1985 and 12 sacks in 1986 so who helped who? As an OT you are always taught to block the inside guy first, that would be Marshall and would allow Taylor a lot more open shots at the QB with only a RB to take him on.

Taylor was a different kind of player in that era and stood out from the rest but there have been a number of similar players since then (Derrick Thomas, Kevin Greene, etc.). He was unique at the time but would not be THAT unusual today. Again, this is not to take away from how much he dominated the game but if we are comparing two players then we have to take into account what they actually contributed to each game and what the hype was. Teams didn't know how to scheme for Taylor then but they do now.

You are not really suggesting that the Bill Parcells that we had here is anything like the BP of the late 80s are you? He was an old man when we got him and played "not-to-lose" rather than playing to win like he used to do. Also, the coaching staff that Parcells had with the Giants was top-notch while ours were losers like Zimrod.

I think they made each other better. Taylor was a great player but there were a number of great players on that team. Ware is a great player but where are the other great players around him? Zach Thomas at the end of his career? Terence Newman? OK. Ellis? He's never been great IMO. Ratliff? He's becoming a force but that's really only been this season. Last year he was good but not like he is now. Spears or Canty? Please. Bradie James? Another good player but not a Carl Banks type.

Lawrence Taylor didn't have 20 sacks every year, he did it only once (20.5 in 1986). He had 15.5, 15, 13, 12, 11.5, 10.5 and that's it for his double-digit sack seasons. As I pointed out, Marshall led the team in sacks in 1985, not Taylor. The bottom line is that the other players around him DID make it easier for him to make plays. he made them better but they also made him better as well.

Very logical and good insight, greatly appreciated. I don't think any of it tips the scale in Demarcus Wares favour though. I never said LT had 20 sacks a year, maybe you just wanted to outline it though. One thing though, although the Lineman are 40 lbs bigger than yesterdays lineman on average, the players overall average 20 lbs bigger today as opposed to LT's era.

Now you do realize that Lawrence Taylor did play into the 90's and by the late 80's a lot of the OL were getting towards the 300 lb mark. Lawrence Taylor played while lineman were at the 300 lb mark for a good portion of his career. There are line today that don't average 300 lbs, not many but they exist. Now the perception is bigger is better but just because you are big doesn't mean you're a better offensive lineman depending on what system is used.

I for one believe bigger is better but Anthony Munoz who is regarded by most of the "professionals" as the best tackle to ever play the game played during LT's era and he was at 278 when he first entered the league in 1980.

LT also played in an era when Jimmy Johnson brought in the big massive O-line and actually won his last SB in 1991. 1993 was LT's last year after 12 seasons so he knows what it was like to play against o-lineman ranging from 285-310 on average. Like I said previously, 285 lb's to a 237 lb man is pretty much the equivalent ratio wise to 320 lbs to a 262 pound man. LT 237 lbs while playing, D.Ware 262 lbs.

Teams didn't know how to game plan for LT because he is the first player to play the position the way he did and you said it best, the game plans were unsuccessful against Taylor. That also has a lot to do with LT's skill level and uncontainable athleticism.

A lot of guys to come out just like LT? Wow, no way! Derrick Thomas was good, very good but he didn't dominate the league like LT did. The sacks and the stats are important but you're not holding impact on a game in high regards in any of your post.

Now we can go on and on, but everyone of my points are valid and are backed by facts as yours are. But the point of this thread is Demarcus Ware vs LT. As it stands, LT has already done it and he has done it like no other player at his position in the history of the NFL. Demarcus Ware is doing well and is a dominating player, but not like LT did. Demarcus has not won the awards, the championships, statistically hasn't reached LT, and that may happen with health and longevity, nor has Ware dominated this league like LT did regardless of era.

LT is a pioneer for a position and style of football that to this day is trying to be emulated. He played in a much more physically brutal era, smaller players or not. If you want to say Demarcus Ware is a better player than LT well you're entitled to your opinion and you seem like a very logical person. In fact I appreciate your insight.

When people ask who would you rate as the top 5 best players of all time? Lawrence Taylor comes up and Demarcus Ware doesn't, he may in 10 years, but not now. Demarcus Ware doesn't even come up in a conversation of top 5 best LB's of all time. Derrick Brooks doesn't come up in that conversation and if Ware has a career Like Derrick Brooks we should be extremely happy. O-lineman being 40 lbs larger then than now won't convince me nor the masses and that seems to be your sticking point. Players as a whole now are larger than then.

Now I never heard you say Ware is the better player so I am going to ask you. Who do you believe is better? Ware or LT? I think you just enjoy a good debate.:)

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theogt;2449070 said:
I didn't say he'd go down as the greatest passrusher of all time, though that's possible too.

Exactly, overall defensive player vs. pass rusher is what a lot of people don't specify. L.T. was an overall type of guy. I would love to have seen Reggie and Bruce trying to cover a slot receiver.

Also, a players legendary status tends to grow the more time passes. That is just human nature. I think the hardest thing for football fans to do is to recognize a legendary player in the now and I totally understand why.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Folks, I couldn't stand LT when he was playing. I absolutely love Demarcus Ware and like Ware better as a fan. But LT is one of a kind and the better football player as it stands. In LT's defense he changed his personal ways and has given back to the community. His battle with cancer is unfortunate.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theebs;2449076 said:

ROFL... yeah I am not sure what he was smoking...and I don't want any of it.